LS - 3rd Gen (2001-2006) Discussion topics related to the flagship Lexus LS430

can someone please explain this to meż

Search this Thread

Old 01-08-11, 05:59 AM
sojah
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default can someone please explain this to meż

^ ^ ^ $3.21 for premium and this was at the always cheaper sams club. i saw $3.39 on the way home at a shell or something.

this is the first time i have broken $70 ever in my life filling up any vehicle i have ever owned let alone my 05 ls430 that i've had for 2+ years now. but the good news is that i average about 23-24.5 mpg's depending and this will last me at least 6-8 days (honestly) (or 520-550 miles); yeah i drive about 2k miles a month every month. not cheap out there lately and makes me think twice before punching it when some nice car lines up next to me (not that this car is fast but it is fun to drive with the tiptronic shifter thing and my bc racing suspension).
Old 01-08-11, 06:35 AM
Jabberwock

Received 209 Likes on 172 Posts

Gas prices in the US are still very low compared to many other parts of the world. Gas prices in Europe are $6-8/gallon.

Gas prices will keep going up because demand for gas is increasing all over the planet while supply is generally constrained relative to demand. The only thing (in general) that will stop or slow increased demand for oil is severe recessions.

Prices go up quickly because demand curve for oil is relatively elastic versus its supply curve which looks more like a step function, so as a result, the price of oil escalates quickly in response to increased demand.

Barring some huge technological breakthrough in building electric vehicles, demand for oil is going to keep increasing at a high rate as all the emerging market economies (places like India, China, South America) pick up steam and everyone in those areas wants to live like people in US and buy several cars and/or motorcycles.

The other factor is the US dollar which is likely to significantly go down in purchasing power due to the unending deficit spending. That alone could likely double gas prices in the next few years.

Expect to see $6-8/gallon in the next few years unless we have more worldwide recessions that will dampen demand.
Old 01-08-11, 06:38 AM
CarGuy89
Lexus Test Driver

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Ouch! Yeah it is getting pricier. Looks like you were at absolute bottom before filling up. Look on the bright side though, at least it's still way cheaper than Europe to fill up!
Old 01-08-11, 06:43 AM
JimsGX
Lexus Test Driver

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

You were running on fumes! The stated fuel capacity for your 05 is 22.2 gallons...
Old 01-08-11, 06:47 AM
sojah
Lead Lap

yeah i was pretty much on E when i filled er up in the pic. i lived in japan for a couple years from 02-04 and it was pretty damn expensive there as well. something like 160Ą a liter if my memory is correct and that depends on what octane you run. at many gas stands you could find 112 and the like. i once handed them a 5000Ą bill (around 50$ at the time) and said to "filler up", my v6 y33 nissan gloria was on E, and about 90 seconds later they were like okay ur good now, i started the car and noticed that it was now at like a hair above half a tank. but i still think they put the good stuff in that time, however i will never know.

but here is the thing that no one ever mentions. in europe and asia they have awesome mass transportation systems so you never have to drive hundreds of miles a week, unless you just really like spending money on gas. its all relative.

and yes they did sell liter cola (those who know, know)

Last edited by sojah; 01-08-11 at 06:50 AM.
Old 01-08-11, 07:11 AM
Bocatrip
Lead Lap

Received 285 Likes on 239 Posts

Originally Posted by JimsGX
You were running on fumes! The stated fuel capacity for your 05 is 22.2 gallons...
If the car came in on it's own power there still had to be some gas left in the tank. This might be an example of a station that is not accurately pricing their fuel. How can they dispense more than the car can hold?
Old 01-08-11, 07:16 AM
sojah
Lead Lap

that is a good point, is there any way to test this? i guess i could try to get it to that low again and then try to fill it up somewhere else to see.

i do top off though. it stopped like .75 gallons before this photo was taken. i normally try to squeeze an extra half gallon after it kicks off the first time. i've never had any spillage or anything though so i figured it was all good, been doing this for like 12 years.
Old 01-08-11, 07:18 AM
Lust4Lexus
Advanced

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

I agree with boca. But I tend to be a paranoid b@stard myself. maybe that's how sam's club makes up for their lower price!
Old 01-08-11, 07:59 AM
Jam1986
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Here in Hong Kong, petrol are imported from Singapore...
And now it cost about HKD15.21/L

after simple calculation, it cost about US7.38/Gallon here in Hong Kong

Fortunately my LS only runs on weekends, which travels <100km per week, here my yr 2001 LS only got 66xxx km on my odometer, which i think it is has good resale value to 3rd countries...

For cars that is over 3000cc run more than 120,000km, they are usually sent to junk market and end-up for parts selling...I think it is quite sad and environmental unfriendly, but thats the story!
Old 01-08-11, 08:19 AM
caddyowner
Lead Lap

Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts

What about a couple years ago when gas was over $4 a gallon?
Old 01-08-11, 08:40 AM
GLIDESUL
Lead Lap

Yeah gas is surely going up again. We as a nation have to think about alternative energy seriously. Electric vehicles or bio/fuel here we come. I remember when the prices hit over 4 dollars, I was bout to buy a moped or scooter.
Old 01-08-11, 09:09 AM
sojah
Lead Lap

yes i surely remember those not too long ago $4+ days, and just like then i'm about to take my scion xa out shopping instead of the lex. plus its snowing
Old 01-08-11, 03:53 PM
hoonunya
Pit Crew

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Strange. I just put 22.51 gallons in my 05. I thought book said 22.5 but I wasn't on fumes yet either. "only" $70.11 It was a Shell, not Sam's.
Old 01-08-11, 05:11 PM
randal
Lead Lap

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Many seem to think that electric vehicles will be cheaper than gasoline engines to operate. Perhaps initially. However, if electric vehicles do become more widely accepted and prolific (resulting in much heavier use of electricity), would it not be likely that electricity rates will skyrocket?
Old 01-08-11, 05:45 PM
AlexusAnja
Lead Lap

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Besides some countries in South America which enjoy prices of like $.75/gal, the U.S. is probably the next cheapest country for gasoline. Europe and Asia are paying out the rear end for gasoline compared to here.

Hey... $3.39 is still better than $5 which many "economists" are predicting gas prices will be by 2012. Hey.. when we hit $5/gal, it just means everyone around the world goes up too.

Quick Reply: can someone please explain this to meż