LS - 3rd Gen (2001-2006) Discussion topics related to the flagship Lexus LS430

Time for an upgrade: 05' or 06'?

Search this Thread

Old 01-13-11, 04:19 PM
2004TOYO
Pole Position

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I REALLY like that Briarwood pearl! I dont see to many of them. As a matter fact I like it better than those Flint Micas (easy fellas) Actually Cypress Pearl was in my top three choices. Enjoy man~
Old 01-13-11, 05:12 PM
caddyowner
Lead Lap

Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts

I think Briarwood was the rarest color. Cypress and black cherry were also fairly rare from my research. I think moonlight pearl was also fairly rare, but it's hard to tell from sales listings because it's lumped in with white.
Old 01-13-11, 05:31 PM
CarGuy89
Lexus Test Driver

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

There's a guy around my school (Mich State) that has a briarwood one (he's kinda old so I assume a prof or some other profession). Looks very unique (he's got the 5 spokes). Great choice and enjoy the awesome car!
Old 01-14-11, 08:58 AM
Marklouis
Lexus Champion

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Thanks for all the support guys! the Transaction is being made today - pray it all goes through well.
Old 01-14-11, 09:02 AM
Marklouis
Lexus Champion

caddyowner;6062460]Most briarwood pearl cars I've seen have been premium models like yours. Although, my dealer had a briarwood / ecru UL trade that was sweet. I think the color looks better in person than in pics. It's interesting that flint mica, cypress pearl, and briarwood pearl are variations on the same color: blue gray, green gray, and brown gray.

Is this the car in the Chicago area? You're sly like a cat to buy a southern RWD luxury car in Chicago during the winter when the prices for those cars are usually at their lowest. Congrats

________________________________________________________________________________________

well it's 400+ miles away from where I am, but well worth the travel. and actually, no I didnt think about adding in the seasonal equation at all - but now it is one to remember!
Old 01-14-11, 11:28 AM
DDLexus
Racer

Received 25 Likes on 20 Posts

Marklouis, where in AL are you?
Old 01-14-11, 12:10 PM
Marklouis
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by DDLexus
Marklouis, where in AL are you?
Huntsville
Old 01-15-11, 01:57 PM
DDLexus
Racer

Received 25 Likes on 20 Posts

Originally Posted by Marklouis
Huntsville
Cool. Me too. Looking forward to seeing the car around town
Old 01-18-11, 07:08 AM
Marklouis
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by DDLexus
Cool. Me too. Looking forward to seeing the car around town
Awesome! another Huntsvillian in the club. cool deal! we should have a small carmeet. lol - I actually live outside of Huntsville, but we come to town pretty often.
Old 01-18-11, 12:28 PM
Slvr surfr
Lexus Test Driver

Received 11 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by caddyowner
I think Briarwood was the rarest color. Cypress and black cherry were also fairly rare from my research. I think moonlight pearl was also fairly rare, but it's hard to tell from sales listings because it's lumped in with white.
didnt know LS430's were offered in moonlight pearl! If i've known that, i would have put a search party out for that car. I thought it came out with the 4LS and 3GS.
Old 01-27-11, 06:10 AM
Marklouis
Lexus Champion

UPDATE!!

well our new addition to the family (05 LS430 Premium Package) has arrived yesterday with highway dirt/dust/grime from 400 miles on the car hauler. inspected the car inside out before signing for it and it had only 2 minor scuffs on the rear on 1 small miniscule ding on the roof - windsheild was perfect - not a single pit. The Truck driver team were locals and very pleasant and let me take my time going over the car with a fine tooth comb.
the Cashmere interior is absolultely immaculate and has a pleasant air - still has remnants of that new car/Leather upholstery smell.

first drive impressions:

well I signed for the car and went ahead and adjusted my seat position then off I went with my wife following behind me and we hit the highway. Very smooth shifting and acceleration. went up 10 mph increments up to 80/85 and straight as an arrow with no vibrations or hesitations. the gas mileage jumped up once the Transmission got long legged on interstate 565. I could feel the road imperfections a bit due to the 17" rims fitted with the Dunlops lo- pro ultra performance all season treads - which will be changed to Dr. Scholls ultra Cushy Quiet touring treads in a couple months. Braking is smooth and firm. I felt like I went from a strong barn horse from my 95' LS (RIP) and now I was in the saddle of a pure thoroughbred show horse. what a difference - this car has been well maintained and pampered. wind noise was minimal and the standard sound system rocks hard.

got the car home safe and cleaned off the dirt/grime from it's travel back to the south and man the Briarwood pearl really stands out. Pics dont do it Justice - will get a good clean Meguire's clay/wax job this weekend. it really suprised me how easy it was to clean the rims.

First (common) issue so far is of course the Telescopic Steering does not go in/out - However it travels up/down and is whisper quiet. I have seen it is easier to DIY repair these on the previous models but this one seems to be more extensive and costly - for now I can live with it since I have long arms/legs.

second issue was the oscillating vents in the middle - they didnt catch my eye until I was getting familiar with the center console controls. They work fine just seemed slightly creepy and disturbing, my brain couldnt proccess what I was seeing. does that creep anyone else out? lol I just turned them off for now.

Anyways more pics to come after I get it to a show shine this weekend. Before anyone asks about modifications - sorry Fellas, but my younger pimpin' days are long gone. I believe they engineered this car perfect enough to pimpin' for me and it will surely touch every bit of asphalt in the US - or until Gasoline becomes Illegal.

Last edited by Marklouis; 01-27-11 at 07:20 AM.
Old 01-27-11, 09:06 AM
caddyowner
Lead Lap

Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by Marklouis
second issue was the oscillating vents in the middle - they didnt catch my eye until I was getting familiar with the center console controls. They work fine just seemed slightly creepy and disturbing, my brain couldnt proccess what I was seeing. does that creep anyone else out? lol I just turned them off for now....
Since you have the premium package, the oscillating vents are located near the top of the center stack (and more in your line of vision) rather than below the nav unit. Since my vents are lower, I don't notice them moving, except when they make the creaking noise. (Then again, I owned a 94 Mazda 626 with this feature, so I got over the creeps from this 17 years ago.)
Old 01-27-11, 09:18 AM
Marklouis
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by caddyowner
Since you have the premium package, the oscillating vents are located near the top of the center stack (and more in your line of vision) rather than below the nav unit. Since my vents are lower, I don't notice them moving, except when they make the creaking noise. (Then again, I owned a 94 Mazda 626 with this feature, so I got over the creeps from this 17 years ago.)
LOL! my 68 Caddilac had a thermostat feature, and I thought that was top notch back in the day! lol - put it on 70' and never touched it again.
Old 01-27-11, 09:39 AM
CarGuy89
Lexus Test Driver

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Glad to see you're enjoying the car. All my friends go when they see the vents. I usually ride with them off b/c I don't want to break the motors (plus I like having my air constantly blowing at me). But then again, my friends and I are pretty tech savvy and enjoy engineering like that. I know what you mean about the stock Dunlops, I crash through bigger bumps every now and then with them. I am patiently waiting for them to wear down so I can experience the much recommended Priamcy's everyone raves about on here.
Old 01-27-11, 10:31 AM
Marklouis
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by CarGuy89
I know what you mean about the stock Dunlops, I crash through bigger bumps every now and then with them. I am patiently waiting for them to wear down so I can experience the much recommended Priamcy's everyone raves about on here.
yes it is good to know there are several good choices in the tire department for this car, Primacy's being on of them. Bad thing is these tires still have plenty of treadlife left, and I hate to replace them already. guess I can see how long I can stand them - taking a trip to Texas in April, so maybe I can replace them just before the trip.

Quick Reply: Time for an upgrade: 05' or 06'?