LS - 3rd Gen (2001-2006) Discussion topics related to the flagship Lexus LS430

Cruise Control question

Search this Thread

Old 02-01-11, 07:49 AM
waijai
Racer

Received 23 Likes on 14 Posts
Default Cruise Control question

I sometimes love and sometimes hate the cruise control on my UL. I love how it'll slow you down and speed you up to keep a consistent distance from the car in front of you. But I also hate how it'll sometimes falsely detect a car in the other lane as being in your lane and then slam on the brakes for you and give you that warning beep.

Question: When the car slows you down automatically, do the brake lights turn on?
Old 02-01-11, 08:18 AM
AlexusAnja
Lead Lap

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Default Detecting

Originally Posted by waijai
I sometimes love and sometimes hate the cruise control on my UL. I love how it'll slow you down and speed you up to keep a consistent distance from the car in front of you. But I also hate how it'll sometimes falsely detect a car in the other lane as being in your lane and then slam on the brakes for you and give you that warning beep.

Question: When the car slows you down automatically, do the brake lights turn on?
You have the UL with PCS or without? One is radar, one is laser, not really sure which is which. but my CL without PCS says "Radar Ready"

Does the warning come on during straight lanes when there is a car next to you, or around a turn? If around a turn, that's normal because think of the system, it transmit a beam straight from the front of your vehicle. Around a sharp bend, a vehicle will cross that straight beam, so the vehicle can only think that a vehicle is too close. It won't know that you're into a turn.

as for brake lights, it depends. The system does use transmission gearing to slow you down, and only applies brakes when it deems it necessary for more urgent stops. The little display of your LS from behind will light up the brakes when the brakes are applied.
Old 02-01-11, 12:00 PM
waijai
Racer

Received 23 Likes on 14 Posts

I've got an UL with PCS, so it's radar.

The warning sometimes comes on when going straight as an arrow with just cars in the next lane over. Not sure if it has anything to do with me replacing the original grill w/ the emblemless grill. The emblemless does not have that plastic shield in front.
Old 02-01-11, 12:42 PM
AlexusAnja
Lead Lap

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Default Ahhh....

Originally Posted by waijai
I've got an UL with PCS, so it's radar.

The warning sometimes comes on when going straight as an arrow with just cars in the next lane over. Not sure if it has anything to do with me replacing the original grill w/ the emblemless grill. The emblemless does not have that plastic shield in front.
Ahhhh... see, the game is afoot.. more details about the issue.

I believe I had read somewhere on here that the "plexiglass" or whatever it is serves two purposes, one to protect of course, but the other that it does something with the waves from the sensor, so it's not just a piece of plastic.

That could very well be your issue. Was this happening BEFORE you changed the grill out?
Old 02-01-13, 02:10 PM
jmoconnell
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The Wave Radar Sensor conked in my "04 LS430. Canadian Dealer wants $7000.00 for the part. Anyone find used, refurbished or any other way to avoid spending $7000.
Old 02-01-13, 05:35 PM
Kansas
Lead Lap

Received 254 Likes on 201 Posts

Originally Posted by jmoconnell
The Wave Radar Sensor conked in my "04 LS430. Canadian Dealer wants $7000.00 for the part. Anyone find used, refurbished or any other way to avoid spending $7000.
There appears to be more than one version of the part you need. Part number 88210-50072 is US$3579.57 from Sewell Lexus, a forum sponsor, if you register with your ClubLexus member name: http://lexus.sewellparts.com/oem-cat...S430-2004.html

You may have to register to see the forum member price. The price of one of the other part numbers is not listed and the web page says to "Contact for Pricing". It might be a good idea to find the part number on your current sensor since Canadian spec models have more differences than meet the eye. Good that the Loonie is still at parity with the U.S. dollar.

Last edited by Kansas; 02-01-13 at 05:39 PM.
Old 02-01-13, 05:40 PM
Cronic
Pole Position

My car never did that until I replaced the grill with an aftermarket grill.
Old 02-04-13, 08:38 AM
jmoconnell
Driver School Candidate

Default Cross Border Inequities

Dear Kansas, thank you. I am not really surprised to discover that big a price difference however I am thrilled to find out. in many cases the identical vehicle will sell new for 30% less in Buffalo NY than in Toronto. The Canadian dollar was as low as 65 cents vs your greenback not so long ago and the car companies have simply taken the increased profits for themselves as the CDN dollar rose to par. It seems the same in parts. The only reason there isn't a flood of people going cross border shopping for cars are the Government restrictions that will not allow a US car to be purchased by a Canadian and taken back home. I am not sure how old a car must be before that restriction is lifted. Once again many thanks, Thanks as well to Cronic for the info. In my case the grill has not been replaced.