LS - 3rd Gen (2001-2006) Discussion topics related to the flagship Lexus LS430

Another Timing belt question

Search this Thread

Old 02-06-11, 06:14 AM
TheJosh
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I am working on changing his mind. I'll keep you guys posted.

I am also going to post this topic on the Sequoia board and see how the responses tally there as well.
Old 02-06-11, 07:14 AM
Kansas
Lead Lap

Received 254 Likes on 201 Posts

Originally Posted by Bocatrip
Unfortunately, what seems like a minimum investment to keep the car running might very well be a burden for many in these economically stressed times. Yes it's important, but especially for those driving the older LS430s, they might just try to milk it that much longer due to the relative expense. $700-$1,000 is not considered a small investment. It's the sign of the times.
And that is the paradox. When times are good, it's not as big a problem to let maintenance slip since one has the money to fix problems caused by poor maintenance. But when times are bad, it is more important to keep everything maintained since the money is not there to fix problems caused by poor maintenance.

There is a lot to be said for living about the same way in both good times and bad times. Doing that essentially means that one never has to worry about having enough money.
Old 02-06-11, 06:59 PM
vollandt
Driver

Originally Posted by Kansas
As one who ground to a stop in the dead of winter with a broken timing belt from a seized water pump in a perfectly maintained Lexus LS after 75,000 miles and about five years after I literally drove it off the showroom floor, I wonder why people keep asking these types of questions.
Obviously this incident was an outlier and a good thing it was, otherwise we'd all need to move our TB change interval down to 50k miles....

Assuming $1k cost to change the TB and $20k cost to replace the motor, you need to get into a zone where the failure rate is approaching 5% to get a break even expected return for changing the TB. I have a feeling the risk of a TB belt breaking never gets close to 5% on toyota V8s, even with 200k miles on the car. Otherwise we'd hear a lot more belt failure stories. Sure this doesn't count for the much greater hastle factor of replacing an engine, or the peace of mind you get from maintaining your car properly.
Old 02-07-11, 07:06 PM
Kansas
Lead Lap

Received 254 Likes on 201 Posts

Originally Posted by vollandt
Obviously this incident was an outlier and a good thing it was, otherwise we'd all need to move our TB change interval down to 50k miles....

Assuming $1k cost to change the TB and $20k cost to replace the motor, you need to get into a zone where the failure rate is approaching 5% to get a break even expected return for changing the TB. I have a feeling the risk of a TB belt breaking never gets close to 5% on toyota V8s, even with 200k miles on the car. Otherwise we'd hear a lot more belt failure stories. Sure this doesn't count for the much greater hastle factor of replacing an engine, or the peace of mind you get from maintaining your car properly.
Well then look at it another way. It is easy to sell a used car if you can demonstrate with records that all the recommended maintenance has been done on time. It is more difficult to sell a car and a car will usually bring a lower price if maintenance has not been done per the maintenance schedule.

By deferring maintenance, you eliminate a significant percentage of buyers for your used LS who will not even consider an improperly maintained car.

I'll stop now. Some of you will "get it" and others will not.
Old 02-07-11, 07:21 PM
randal
Lead Lap

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I'll stop now. Some of you will "get it" and others will not.
Kinda like beatin your head against the wall, ain't it Kansas?
Old 02-08-11, 07:03 PM
vollandt
Driver

It is more difficult to sell a car and a car will usually bring a lower price if maintenance has not been done per the maintenance schedule.
True in the case of a private party sale and if you did the maintenance at the stealer.. Otherwise don't expect such a return on your maintenance dollars.

Also, in the case if a TB/WP change, assuming it doesn't break, once you change it, you are washed clean of your prior maintenance sins. Consider two cars with 150k miles on it, one had the TB/WP done at 100k, the other just had it done for the first at 150k. All else being equal, I'd pay more for the later car.

I wasn't implying that we shouldn't maintain our cars, but was simply trying to provoke some thought, and to have some of the trade-offs more realistically considered.

Last edited by vollandt; 02-08-11 at 07:25 PM.
Old 02-08-11, 07:39 PM
randal
Lead Lap

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Also, in the case if a TB/WP change, assuming it doesn't break, once you change it, you are washed clean of your prior maintenance sins.
True in the case of items which are either broke or not broke, such as the TB/WP. However, on items such as fluids, the lack of maintenance is more insidious in the form of wear and not as easily discerned as a TB/WP. I believe the implication is that if an owner is fastidious enough to change the TB on schedule, the other items (particularly the fluids) will also have been changed on schedule. Else, perhaps not.
Old 02-08-11, 08:16 PM
Jabberwock

Received 205 Likes on 168 Posts

True in the case of a private party sale and if you did the maintenance at the stealer.. Otherwise don't expect such a return on your maintenance dollars.

Also, in the case if a TB/WP change, assuming it doesn't break, once you change it, you are washed clean of your prior maintenance sins. Consider two cars with 150k miles on it, one had the TB/WP done at 100k, the other just had it done for the first at 150k. All else being equal, I'd pay more for the later car.

I wasn't implying that we shouldn't maintain our cars, but was simply trying to provoke some thought, and to have some of the trade-offs more realistically considered.

You raise a good point with regard to value of a fresh TB change. Clearly a fresh TB change would be of more value. But speaking hypothetically, if I specifically knew an owner had delayed changing TB for the first time until 150k mile I would likely not buy the car because I would be paranoid that other maint stuff had also been deferred.

In general the key to high resale is to keep great records, I keep meticulous maint records - based on past experience, the potential buyers don't seem to care about where maint was done, they just seem impressed when I hand them the manila folder with every single maint receipt in it for my car (and that typically includes filters, oil and other parts for diy maint I have done myself).

Last edited by Jabberwock; 02-08-11 at 08:20 PM.
Old 02-09-11, 06:29 AM
Marklouis
Lexus Champion

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

It is the highest "Critical" maintanance item for these Cars. Save $80 a month for maintanance items and have it done as recommended.
Old 02-18-11, 08:55 AM
raffles
Driver School Candidate

I notice everyone is determining when to replace their timing belts by mileage. What about age, if I only travel a few thousand miles per year should I not consider the life of the belt in years rather than miles?
Old 02-18-11, 01:43 PM
Bocatrip
Lead Lap

Received 274 Likes on 231 Posts

Originally Posted by raffles
I notice everyone is determining when to replace their timing belts by mileage. What about age, if I only travel a few thousand miles per year should I not consider the life of the belt in years rather than miles?
My mom's 2000 Honda Accord V6 (11 years old from delivery) with 52,000 miles had it's timing belt replaced recently. The car has remained outside in the blazing Florida sun for all of its life. The original belt on inspection looked equivalent to a new belt. No cracks, drying, or fraying. I've heard that OEM Lexus timing belts are extremely well made. It's always the owner's call and comfort level for replacing the timing belt with low miles but mucho years.
Old 02-28-11, 04:37 PM
chunkyda
Pole Position

Received 8 Likes on 4 Posts

I have an 05 LS430 with 106,000. I am scheduled to get this service done for just over $1,000 within 2 weeks. I will ask them to keep the belt so I can see it and maybe I'll take a picture if there is any damage or noticeable wear. This was a leased car from Miami and I got it with 64,000.
Old 02-28-11, 05:50 PM
rlmccown
Driver School Candidate

Bought my 2005 LS430 yesterday....76000 on the OD. I was wondering about the belt...now you have me leaning toward the 90K change.
Old 02-28-11, 06:16 PM
warminwisc
Lexus Champion

Received 31 Likes on 28 Posts

Mine was mint at 100k. All HWY miles, I wish I had put it off another 25 k.
Old 03-01-11, 08:46 AM
Yaff
Driver

Received 6 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by raffles
I don't have the maintnance schedule in front of me but most items are due after X mileage or Y periode of time. Your cue is to go with whatever comes first.

As for the Timing belt. It's rubber and it tends to dry over time.

Quick Reply: Another Timing belt question