LS - 3rd Gen (2001-2006) Discussion topics related to the flagship Lexus LS430

What performance parts should I get?

Search this Thread

Old 02-14-11, 09:44 AM
CarGuy89
Lexus Test Driver

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Get the right specs for the wheels (bolt pattern, offset, etc) and go on tirerack (they sell a good amount of light wheels for a reasonable price) and have a look. If you want to enhance it cosmetically, you're probably not going to find it in a lightweight wheel. There's only a handful I've seen that are light and good looking....and most run $5k+ (if you are looking to spend that much on wheels though, take a look at ADV wheels). Wald wheels are popular on here and they look very nice.
Old 02-14-11, 03:56 PM
fergo308
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

^^ Agreed. When picking a replacement wheel,try to widen the track as much as you can for improved stability.

I've gone from the factory 18x7.5" +45 wheels to an 18x9" +21 set and it's made a very positive improvement to the car's dynamics. Even using the same tyes from one rim to the other,the steering response is vastly improved and turn-in is much sharper than stock. Ride quality is the same.

Any wheel from Rays will be lightweight. Big,full faced chromies are not.

Justin...
Old 02-14-11, 07:07 PM
zander654
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Man I never thought this site would be so helpful! Thank you for all your input guys! This is some cool stuff. I'm just really trying to push boundaries here, I KNOW the LS isn't a race car. I'm not stupid. But I would like to transform it into the most badass LS that I possibly can. Don't hate. I'll look at those wheels and rims. Thanks guys. Now about that stock radio head unit...... I don't have the nav option btw. I want to get an aftermarket screen. Is this possible to do without having to pay an arm and a leg?
Old 02-14-11, 09:10 PM
CarGuy89
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by zander654
Man I never thought this site would be so helpful! Thank you for all your input guys! This is some cool stuff. I'm just really trying to push boundaries here, I KNOW the LS isn't a race car. I'm not stupid. But I would like to transform it into the most badass LS that I possibly can. Don't hate. I'll look at those wheels and rims. Thanks guys. Now about that stock radio head unit...... I don't have the nav option btw. I want to get an aftermarket screen. Is this possible to do without having to pay an arm and a leg?
Glad to be of some help. I considered upgrading the rims on my 3 series (but unforunately never did). A note of caution on playing with the offsets and track: while it will improve handling (especially with a well tuned suspension setup) straying too far from stock can cause fitment issues. As for the radio, just get an aftermaket headunit put in. You can even have one with a flipout screen. I don't see how it would be more expensive in modding the radio in any other car.
Old 02-14-11, 10:23 PM
fergo308
Pole Position

It's not especially difficult in the non-nav version of the car to fit an aftermarket stereo. Do a search through the forum,there are several stereo threads.

Justin...
Old 02-21-11, 12:39 PM
zander654
Driver School Candidate

Sweet thanks guys. And specifically, what exhaust system fits onto this car? I've heard mixed opinions on what I should get. I want some hp gains and I want it to sound pretty ballsy. I want to say more like a mustang sound, But I know this car will never sound like a mustang haha.
Old 02-21-11, 01:51 PM
CarGuy89
Lexus Test Driver

Sweet thanks guys. And specifically, what exhaust system fits onto this car? I've heard mixed opinions on what I should get. I want some hp gains and I want it to sound pretty ballsy. I want to say more like a mustang sound, But I know this car will never sound like a mustang haha.
Search 'LS430 exhaust' on youtube. There are several choices. They all sound pretty good, makes the car growl a bit more. Not too sure about hp increase, if any. Probably 5-10 hp max. The cheaper systems just make the car louder, probably doesn't help the car 'breathe' better.
Old 02-21-11, 04:02 PM
fergo308
Pole Position

Most aftermarket systems for these cars are for noise,and looking pretty. Copying what's there,but going up half an inch in diameter and going to straight through design mufflers should net you a decent gain. dual 2 1/2" piping would be a good place to start.

Justin...
Old 02-22-11, 02:06 PM
98cruiser
Rookie

Default faster

Don't criticize me until you know the background. I got a great deal on the car and couldn't pass it up. I want to make it faster because I don't WANT a luxury sedan but I didn't want a sports coupe. This was the best deal available so I took it. It just depends on how you want to look at the car. It's very powerful and has tons of potential when you think about it. I take it you don't own one.
Zander, no need to explain yourself bro, im with you on that subject, that is the same reason some one pulls up on you with a Mercedese: AMG C55, E55, S65 or BMW: M3, M5, M6 or Audi: S4, S6, all German luxury line with racing models, why wont Lexus step their game up with the LS. Another thing if you are tired of reading about this, then dont read it!!!! (no dis) intended!!!!!!!!!!! whats the purpose of having all the wings, arodynamic kits and exhaust it these other luxury car can pull up to us at the light and bust our @sses. Makes no sense right!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 02-22-11, 04:21 PM
MrXerox
Rookie

Originally Posted by 98cruiser
Makes no sense right!!!!!!!!!!!!!
You took the words from my mouth
Attached Thumbnails What performance parts should I get?-ugly-car-pictures-56w.jpg  

Last edited by MrXerox; 02-22-11 at 04:26 PM.
Old 02-22-11, 08:32 PM
CarGuy89
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by MrXerox
You took the words from my mouth
Dammit....I could've had that instead of the LS....
Old 02-22-11, 10:05 PM
Stu
Racer

Received 58 Likes on 44 Posts

Originally Posted by 98cruiser
.... whats the purpose of having all the wings, arodynamic kits and exhaust it these other luxury car can pull up to us at the light and bust our @sses. Makes no sense right!!!!!!!!!!!!!
There is something wrong if any of the cars you mentioned can bust your ***.
Not sure how that can get fixed, but good luck.
Old 02-28-11, 01:08 PM
zander654
Driver School Candidate

Haha Yeah I think I'm gonna go with a blitz exhaust and an injen short ram air. I'm gonna try to find a good chip but I'm not sure how thats gonna work out. Right now My LS can beat 08 mustang GTs if that means anything haha. They're pretty fast. But I just want any horsepower gains that I can get my hands on without stripping down the car to a shell of it's former self. It's a pretty solid car in a race against most other stock cars on the market now. The LS is not something to be underestimated even though it is big
Old 02-28-11, 05:17 PM
CarGuy89
Lexus Test Driver

^Just make sure you don't try it against the new 5.0 GTs with around 420 horses, those things are absolute beasts! Yeah the older Mustangs had 300 hp and weighed about the same, lacked the extra torque the LS packs...should be pretty even. I had no problem keeping up with a 90s Camaro with mods.
Old 03-07-11, 12:43 PM
zander654
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by CarGuy89
^Just make sure you don't try it against the new 5.0 GTs with around 420 horses, those things are absolute beasts! Yeah the older Mustangs had 300 hp and weighed about the same, lacked the extra torque the LS packs...should be pretty even. I had no problem keeping up with a 90s Camaro with mods.
Yeah man The new ones are just animals. I've driven one and they're just all engine. Not a very smooth ride though. And everything in it just kinda felt cheap. But yeah My car just trashes all those old 90s and mid 2000's sports cars. I'm very impressed with it's performance

Quick Reply: What performance parts should I get?