LS - 3rd Gen (2001-2006) Discussion topics related to the flagship Lexus LS430

What performance parts should I get?

Search this Thread

Old 02-10-11, 05:38 PM
zander654
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default What performance parts should I get?

Hey I'm new to the Lexus scene, I have a bone stock 02' LS 430 and I'm very pleased with the ride and power (much faster than most other cars on the roads in my small town) but I was wondering if it would be possible to get the horsepower up to around 320ish without supercharging or turbo-ing it. As cheap as possible of course. Any suggestions? I'm open to everybody's opinion! And as far as exhausts go, I like audible ones but not the kind that'll just **** people off. Thanks!
Old 02-10-11, 08:29 PM
Jabberwock

Received 205 Likes on 168 Posts

If you can fit in to it, maybe a nice condition 94 Mazda Miata...? Probably cost same as trying to hot rod the LS and would be way more fun as a second car cause its also a convertible : )
Old 02-10-11, 09:19 PM
MrXerox
Rookie

I agree. So many threads about performance I am tired of seeing them. These are full sized luxury sedans people not race cars. They are very quick already considering what they were built for. When a supercharger only adds 50 ponys to these cars it simply is not worth spending the time or the money to make them faster. Seems like the first thing people wanna do is after they buy these cars is put on huge rims and drop them to the ground then try and make them fast.
Old 02-10-11, 10:00 PM
svlexus
Driver

The motor can handle a 100 shot of nitrous if its properly installed and you know how/when to use it.
Old 02-11-11, 05:05 AM
Jabberwock

Received 205 Likes on 168 Posts

Hey - just to clarify - absolutely no dis intended - if someone wants to spend their hard earned $$ on hot rodding an LS its OK with me (and who cares what I think anyway) I just personally feel there are other options that would be more fun for me personally. But if they want to do it and go into it with clear eyes, then its fine thing and a noble pursuit, it is their LS after all. I certainly welcome their posts and all posts from folks that want to make any type of customization to these cars, becuse it makes the forum more interesting and more valuable info gets posted.

I would still enjoy reading about hotrodding an LS on the forum even though I'd get a used Miata, or... if I still had the sack (which I don't anymore) something like a Suzuki Hyabusa instead if I wanted some real speed and acceleration.

Given the lack of performance parts aftermarket for these cars - should kinda be telling us something. In my view the LS is (if you will pardon my French) a large, heavy bateau and I think attempts to make it faster won;t increase it fun factor all that much without drastically changing the fundamental nature of the car.

Last edited by Jabberwock; 02-11-11 at 05:10 AM.
Old 02-11-11, 06:29 AM
Marklouis
Lexus Champion

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

There are dedicated threads for modifications everywhere in these forums - if your a DIY'er the PPE Headers may be a good place to start for a few extra ponies.

here is my take on making the LS430 a medium sleeper:
read up on Lextreme.com - you will find some interesting stuff
Purchase Mods dedicated to your UZFE series that doesnt require changes to your electronics and actually improves horsepower - no gimmicky crap.
lose weight - if its not bolted down, take it out - spare tire, mats, trunk mats, 15" subs/amp
replace stock Rims with lightweight 17" racing rims - wont look as cool, but you can drop up to 50' lbs.
get soft compound tires for grip.

unless you have tons of $$$ to really burn - this is a good starting point, if this is your type of thing.

Last edited by Marklouis; 02-11-11 at 06:39 AM.
Old 02-11-11, 09:16 AM
CarGuy89
Lexus Test Driver

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Marklouis
There are dedicated threads for modifications everywhere in these forums - if your a DIY'er the PPE Headers may be a good place to start for a few extra ponies.

Purchase Mods dedicated to your UZFE series that doesnt require changes to your electronics and actually improves horsepower - no gimmicky crap.
lose weight - if its not bolted down, take it out - spare tire, mats, trunk mats, 15" subs/amp
replace stock Rims with lightweight 17" racing rims - wont look as cool, but you can drop up to 50' lbs.

unless you have tons of $$$ to really burn - this is a good starting point, if this is your type of thing.

^Solid advice. Shedding weight is the easiest and very beneficial. Headers, exhaust, intake are all things to look into if you want to avoid F/I.
Old 02-11-11, 03:17 PM
zander654
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by Jabberwock
If you can fit in to it, maybe a nice condition 94 Mazda Miata...? Probably cost same as trying to hot rod the LS and would be way more fun as a second car cause its also a convertible : )
That is the weirdest thing!! I do own a 1990 mazda miata! Love it. super fun.
Old 02-11-11, 03:21 PM
zander654
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by Marklouis

Thanks. Great tips. I will take the tire out and I'm looking to get new rims anyway because the stock ones are pretty ugly...
Old 02-11-11, 03:26 PM
zander654
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by MrXerox
I agree. So many threads about performance I am tired of seeing them. These are full sized luxury sedans people not race cars. They are very quick already considering what they were built for. When a supercharger only adds 50 ponys to these cars it simply is not worth spending the time or the money to make them faster. Seems like the first thing people wanna do is after they buy these cars is put on huge rims and drop them to the ground then try and make them fast.
Don't criticize me until you know the background. I got a great deal on the car and couldn't pass it up. I want to make it faster because I don't WANT a luxury sedan but I didn't want a sports coupe. This was the best deal available so I took it. It just depends on how you want to look at the car. It's very powerful and has tons of potential when you think about it. I take it you don't own one.
Old 02-13-11, 02:00 PM
fergo308
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'm in the middle of this. I both want to make the car a bit quicker,but enjoy it's comfort.
My planned route is an exhaust upgrade and then suspension work. With cars like HSV Granges (think caddilac with sporty suspension and 6.2L V8) and the like in plentiful supply around here,a worked LS is never going to scare anyone,but it would be more enjoyable for me to drive everyday. When I want to go silly around corners,I'll finish off my AE86 project and drive it.

The LS is quite capable for something as big and heavy as it is.
Sensible spring rates with good quality shocks and some up-rated swaybars would make a world of difference IMHO,and should give you the best of both worlds,better handling to make use of the power that is there,while retaining most of the comfort.

There are three main routes to take with this car. leave it stock,go VIP and look good when moving slowly,or go sports sedan and look a little better than stock while going a little quicker.
You have to choose one route,you can't mix and match.

Justin...
Old 02-13-11, 02:41 PM
zander654
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by fergo308
I'm in the middle of this. I both want to make the car a bit quicker,but enjoy it's comfort.
My planned route is an exhaust upgrade and then suspension work. With cars like HSV Granges (think caddilac with sporty suspension and 6.2L V8) and the like in plentiful supply around here,a worked LS is never going to scare anyone,but it would be more enjoyable for me to drive everyday. When I want to go silly around corners,I'll finish off my AE86 project and drive it.

The LS is quite capable for something as big and heavy as it is.
Sensible spring rates with good quality shocks and some up-rated swaybars would make a world of difference IMHO,and should give you the best of both worlds,better handling to make use of the power that is there,while retaining most of the comfort.

There are three main routes to take with this car. leave it stock,go VIP and look good when moving slowly,or go sports sedan and look a little better than stock while going a little quicker.
You have to choose one route,you can't mix and match.

Justin...
Yeah dude I agree with you completely. I want it to go faster and look a bit hotter. New suspension might help but I'm not sure how much that'll cost. A shift kit might also be nice, or a performance chip. I'm for sure getting an exhaust. Does anyone know if a new intake would make much difference? (sound, etc..)
Old 02-13-11, 02:43 PM
zander654
Driver School Candidate

What kind of rims should I get that are light and will drop some weight? Wheels? (remember it has to look good too) Thanks so much for your input guys! You're really helping me out.
Old 02-13-11, 08:03 PM
fergo308
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

An intake will definitely be louder. will it be more efficient? I have no idea,I haven't tested one.
Exhaust is a clear place to go for gains.

Forged wheels are usually the lighter option. Stick to 18's or 19's in at least a 9" width to get as much rubber on the road as possible.

Justin...
Old 02-14-11, 08:46 AM
dtaylor
Pole Position

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

.......yawn.....

Quick Reply: What performance parts should I get?