LS - 3rd Gen (2001-2006) Discussion topics related to the flagship Lexus LS430

Ls new design

Search this Thread

Old 02-11-11 | 09:26 PM
joanie
Driver School Candidate

Default Ls new design

Does anyone know when the LS is scheduled for a redesign. Please let me know. I have a 2002 LS 430 and would like a new one but to this date
Feb. 2011 - I do not see that much of a difference. Thanks! Joan

Last edited by joanie; 02-11-11 at 09:28 PM. Reason: Not enough info
Old 02-12-11 | 04:25 AM
caddyowner
Lead Lap

Welcome! The LS460 was introduced in 2007. The next generation LS is rumored to be introduced in 2013.

http://www.autonews.com/apps/pbcs.dl...EM04/309279970
Old 02-12-11 | 05:04 AM
AlexusAnja
Lead Lap

If Lexus follows the 6-year cycle, then 2013 MY we should see a new LS. So some time in spring of 2012 we should know. I'm more interested in what tech gadgets the LS will have, rather than exterior design. We know it's not going to be radical, so I'm not expecting it.
Old 02-12-11 | 06:38 AM
Jabberwock

Yep it may be called the LS475 in 2013. I hear it will be a tear drop shaped sedan that will feature an all drive by wire control system, epoxy glued down floor mats, a yoke instead of a steering wheel, and a computer voice command system with 600+ word commands that only reliably understands the driver if they shout in slightly effeminate but distinct cockney accent. Alternatively the driver can use the 13 inch computer screen to control the car in real time via 83 customizable menus (created and designed by the folks at TurboTax). The LS475 will also feature all electric propulsion, using a 290 hp (83,000KW) plug in hybrid system that will also optionally run for up to 72 additional miles on 863 D cells. Please note running the heating system and seat heaters in winter will reduce battery range by approximately 75%. Batteries not included : )

Last edited by Jabberwock; 02-12-11 at 06:47 AM.
Old 02-12-11 | 07:01 AM
caddyowner
Lead Lap

^^^
So JW, you've talked about getting an electric / hybrid LS next time around. Will this fit the bill or will you wait for the mid-model refresh in 15 or 16?
Old 02-12-11 | 07:43 AM
sojah
Lead Lap

i mentioned to a lex dealership when i was in there about 1-2 months ago if they had heard anything about a new LS design and i got back a bunch of hater comments about how they just changed the LS in 2010 or 2011 or whenever it was (mid cycle refresher). and how it would be years until a new LS comes out. NO.... by my calculations in about a year we should start to see some hints and sneak peeks i am guessing.
Old 02-12-11 | 12:59 PM
Jabberwock

Yep the dealers hate folks asking about new cars or new models coming in the future.

They have all had the extensive 3 day "sales weasel advanced training" so they have been trained to always counter and deny anything about potential up coming models because all they care about is selling you the current crap that is sitting on the lot getting older each week - they need to sell it right now, today ... or they don't get a paycheck.
Old 02-12-11 | 01:48 PM
caddyowner
Lead Lap

Sales weasel advance training? No, Lexus sales counselors are trained to help us find our impetuous inner driver, the one who wants to drive that new LS460 out of the showroom and home rather than slog through a national search for the perfect used LS430. Why should our inner driver be held in chains by a dictatorial, logical brain? The cost to set him free is but a mere trifle.
Old 02-12-11 | 02:48 PM
sojah
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by caddyowner
Sales weasel advance training? No, Lexus sales counselors are trained to help us find our impetuous inner driver, the one who wants to drive that new LS460 out of the showroom and home rather than slog through a national search for the perfect used LS430. Why should our inner driver be held in chains by a dictatorial, logical brain? The cost to set him free is but a mere trifle.
spoken like a true,, errr educated consumer
Old 02-13-11 | 06:24 AM
Jabberwock

Originally Posted by caddyowner
Caddy - Indeed...I agree the average Lexus sales-weasel is an entire level of magnitude better behaved and much more logical in their presentation, reasoning and demeanor with a potential customer than the typical Toyota or other lower end brand car sales person.

The low end guys seemingly communicate in barks, grunts, and squeaks, straight faced with cow eyes, mouthing the jingoistic "qualifying language" gibberish that they were taught in their 2 day sales training class.

Having taught folks how to sell in the past, the typical car salesperson drives me crazy. They seem completely unaware that selling is part craft and part game. So many are shockingly bad at it - mangling technique, ignorance of the product, blatant obvious lying, subtle as a sledge hammer, insincere to the point of full on creepiness. It would be funny except that most of these guys are working long hours struggling to make a living.

Last edited by Jabberwock; 02-13-11 at 06:29 AM.
Old 02-13-11 | 01:40 PM
fergo308
Pole Position

I hate dealing with car salesmen. Having bought,traded,and sold several cars over the last 18mths I'm well over it and am glad I won't need to deal with it again for at least a couple of years unless something untoward happens. (*Touch wood*)

Whenever I had to buy a car from a dealer's,I'd ignore the salesman as much as posssible,and try and get the real story from the car itself by looking as closely as I could at it in the yard and on the test drive. The car can't lie,but the salesman will.
Most of the time,I'd let my wife talk with them while I'd be crawling all over the vehicle. We'd then go away and compare notes. She'd tell me the guy's pitch,and I'd counter with the condition of what I'd seen. If it averaged out well enough,we'd consider the car.

I'm an ex-mechanic and now manage a sporting facility. Sales is not something I'm particularly good at,but I do my best. I listen to the people that come in,and I do what I can to get the gear they ask for in for them,or to advise them of what will best fit their needs and price point from what is available in our market,which is quite limited for various reasons.
I show people a range of gear,and let them pick which end they want to focus on. I won't push the latest and greatest unless they ask for it first.
Two things I have learned are to under-promise and over-deliver,and to be honest.

A car salesman is unlikely to see someone they sell the wrong car to again.
If I sell someone something they didn't need or want,I will be seeing them again,as they'll be using the gear at my facility. If they're upset,they'll be telling my other customers all about it... So the best bet is to do what you can to best serve their needs. Keep them happy,and they'll send more business your way. Fail,and they leave,and take others with them.

Justin...

p.s. What's the new LS going to look like? I have no idea,but if the current models are anything to go by,I'm not bursting at the seams to find out.
Old 02-13-11 | 03:03 PM
vollandt
Driver

Originally Posted by Jabberwock
Yep it may be called the LS475 in 2013. [/I]
assuming 475 would mean a 4.75 liter engine. with engine technology squeezing more and more hp/liter , plus consumer demands for better mpg numbers, shouldn't we expect displacements to start going down on all cars, including the LS?
Old 02-13-11 | 04:36 PM
Jabberwock

Originally Posted by vollandt
assuming 475 would mean a 4.75 liter engine. with engine technology squeezing more and more hp/liter , plus consumer demands for better mpg numbers, shouldn't we expect displacements to start going down on all cars, including the LS?
I was just riffing this am, on a rant, trying to be funny and likely not succeeding. I actually don;t have a clue as to new model designation or details.

My general observation is that Lexus is a follower in terms of flagship design. So what ever BMW and Benz is doing with its brand new big sedans in terms of style and propulsion, Lexus is likely to follow and produce something similar but in a general Lexus style.
Old 02-13-11 | 07:09 PM
AlexusAnja
Lead Lap

Default A 6-banger

Originally Posted by Jabberwock
I was just riffing this am, on a rant, trying to be funny and likely not succeeding. I actually don;t have a clue as to new model designation or details...
Darn, I thought you were serious and had some inside track on the info...

I would not be surprised if the next LS actually came down in displacement from 4.6 back to 4.3 or even 4.0, but producing more HP and torque, with better mpg than past engine displacements. I would think maybe the 3.5 V6 as an option, now that BMW and MB have gone options of V6 in their "big gun" vehicles.

I certainly don't see it going up in displacement, that's for sure.
Old 02-13-11 | 07:57 PM
fergo308
Pole Position

Going bigger seems to work for GM. Efficiency is going up,and so are capacities. 5.7L to 6.0L up to now 6.2L in our current series of local sedans.

As the cars get heavier with all the extra crash protection and electronic gear,they actually need to increase the engine's output to keep the performance level similar.
The easiest way to do that is to go bigger...

Justin...

Quick Reply: Ls new design