LS - 3rd Gen (2001-2006) Discussion topics related to the flagship Lexus LS430

negative cable trick

Search this Thread

Old 02-15-11, 01:43 PM
monrovea
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default negative cable trick

Would love to disconnect the negative cable for 30 minutes in hopes of correcting the slight hesitation during take off in my LS430. This was suggested in a previous thread. If I lose only the radio pre-sets and seat memory, that would be no problem. I would hate myself if I lost the navigation or something else that would require a dealer visit. I would really appreciate any comments.

Last edited by monrovea; 02-15-11 at 02:01 PM.
Old 02-15-11, 02:21 PM
StanVanDam
Instructor

Received 206 Likes on 155 Posts

In my 2002, seat position memory still works after 5-20 minute disconnections, maybe even longer. The Nav system "Previous Destinations" will be lost after 5-20 minutes. The Marked Points and Home/1/2/3/4/5 buttons are not lost though. The HomeLink/garage door presets are not lost either.

I think the radio presets stay for 5 minute disconnections (not 100% sure though, I don't use radio much).

The factory procedure to reset automatic transmission learned values and to reset the OBD-2 codes/drive cycle monitors/etc (without using the Lexus handheld tool or a Techstream laptop) is to disconnect the battery for 5 minutes.

If you want to reset everything and be sure of it, leave your battery disconnected overnight. You won't need to see a dealer after everything is reset. Be sure to save your important Nav points as Marked Points.

It's probably a good time to clean your battery terminals (make a paste of baking soda and water, apply to terminals and clamps, then wipe off residue with a cloth slightly dampened with plain water). Then apply dielectric grease to the terminals and clamps to prevent further buildup.

Last edited by StanVanDam; 02-15-11 at 02:39 PM.
Old 02-15-11, 02:34 PM
danxp
Driver

in the other thread it was mentioned that the homelink settings aren't lost either... which leads me to believe there might be a stand-alone battery there...
Old 02-15-11, 03:35 PM
sojah
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

my LS always fails to start on the first fire after reconnecting the battery, but fires back up super quick on the second attempt (only when resetting the car for 30+ mins of unhooked battery). it also takes about 30 seconds to a minute for everything to come back fully to life. the climate controls are a little slow to come back to life and the nav takes a minute to process the correct locations and what not.

the battery trick is something i was told that all used car dealerships do to make you feel like your in a brand new sporty car,, you know what they say,, there is an *** for every seat!!!
Old 02-16-11, 06:52 AM
Marklouis
Lexus Champion

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

I wonder if the factory reset setting for the system has a preset logical coding that commands the transmission to shift at higher points - then that coding is changed when it learns the driver(s) habits. I wonder how long of a loop does it require for the system to "learn" one's Driving habits and if it is tied into the daily mileage/commute.

I am a moderate driver so Im guessing the shift points for me would lower over time - I just wonder if I drive sporty for a time would those shift points stay slightly higher when the system is driven moderately for a time, or would they be equal shift patterns and rise to the occasion without hesitation when called upon. Something I would need to test out I guess.
Old 02-16-11, 02:02 PM
monrovea
Rookie

Thanks for the info.... I'm gona try it.
Old 02-16-11, 02:49 PM
sojah
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Marklouis
I wonder if the factory reset setting for the system has a preset logical coding that commands the transmission to shift at higher points - then that coding is changed when it learns the driver(s) habits. I wonder how long of a loop does it require for the system to "learn" one's Driving habits and if it is tied into the daily mileage/commute.

I am a moderate driver so Im guessing the shift points for me would lower over time - I just wonder if I drive sporty for a time would those shift points stay slightly higher when the system is driven moderately for a time, or would they be equal shift patterns and rise to the occasion without hesitation when called upon. Something I would need to test out I guess.
YES ^ ^ ^

i drove my old GS400 (w/ a performance mod or 2) a lot more spiritedly if you will than my present LS430 and after about 2 whole weeks it would start to revert back to the softer and lower shift points and by week 4 i could notice the slight hesitation again. i always reset my gs ever month, but i was trying to get it to be fast so i don't carry this same approach to the LS obviously.

for me the deciding factor was when i accidentally pulled out in front of a car and he almost slammed into the back of me since well for one i pulled out in front of him but secondly because there was like a 1.5 second delay when i mashed the pedal to the floor before anything happened. then i went home and reset the GS and have tried not to let it get that bad ever again, and i also try to limit my pulling out in front of cars too