LS - 3rd Gen (2001-2006) Discussion topics related to the flagship Lexus LS430

laminated glass side windows - safer?

Search this Thread

Old 02-24-11, 02:58 AM
jac430
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default laminated glass side windows - safer?

My LS430 has laminated glass side windows.

Can anyone tell me what the advantages of this are?
Are there disadvantages?

Some critical notes first:
I read something about a reduced risk of being cut by glass shards, but I have always understood that car glass shatters into small "cubes" which are more or less harmless ("tempered glass")?
The laminated vinyl layer is stuck to both glass layers without air layers, so I would expect sound reduction properties to be minimal. Or do I have it all wrong? I must admit that I barely hear someone saying something to me from the outside when I am in the car! So sound insulation is certainly not bad at all.

My Lexus dealer told me that it is still possible to use a life hammer to knock out the glass. So you also should be able to kick the windows out. Somehow I feel that might not be so easy, if at all possible, though.
Has anyone experience with this?
I suppose it does prevents theft, if indeed the side windows cannot be smashed.... And it is relative safe inside once you get your doors closed and locked.

I found (a.o.) this:
"Some of the claimed advantages are that laminated glass reduces noise transfer into the passenger space, lowers interior temperatures by reflecting infrared radiation, and reduces ultra violet radiation. Additionally, glass manufacturers suggest that laminated side glass increases safety by being more resistant to breakage in a crash. This has benefits in preventing ejection or partial ejection of occupants in a rollover and, as the glass remains intact even when broken, the risk of damage to side and curtain airbags is reduced.

Another important benefit is that laminated glass makes the vehicle more resistant to smash and grab attacks. Some manufacturers of prestige vehicles offer very high strength glass, which is resistant to all but the most determined attacks.

A down side though is that breaking a window to free a person from a locked or crashed vehicle is a more difficult process."

So, all in all, a mixed bag of good things and bad things?? As almost everything..
I would appreciate your views and experiences on this matter highly!

Jac
Old 02-24-11, 05:47 AM
GeorgeT
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by jac430
My LS430 has laminated glass side windows.

Can anyone tell me what the advantages of this are?
Are there disadvantages?

Some critical notes first:
I read something about a reduced risk of being cut by glass shards, but I have always understood that car glass shatters into small "cubes" which are more or less harmless ("tempered glass")?
The laminated vinyl layer is stuck to both glass layers without air layers, so I would expect sound reduction properties to be minimal. Or do I have it all wrong? I must admit that I barely hear someone saying something to me from the outside when I am in the car! So sound insulation is certainly not bad at all.

My Lexus dealer told me that it is still possible to use a life hammer to knock out the glass. So you also should be able to kick the windows out. Somehow I feel that might not be so easy, if at all possible, though.
Has anyone experience with this?
I suppose it does prevents theft, if indeed the side windows cannot be smashed.... And it is relative safe inside once you get your doors closed and locked.

I found (a.o.) this:
"Some of the claimed advantages are that laminated glass reduces noise transfer into the passenger space, lowers interior temperatures by reflecting infrared radiation, and reduces ultra violet radiation. Additionally, glass manufacturers suggest that laminated side glass increases safety by being more resistant to breakage in a crash. This has benefits in preventing ejection or partial ejection of occupants in a rollover and, as the glass remains intact even when broken, the risk of damage to side and curtain airbags is reduced.

Another important benefit is that laminated glass makes the vehicle more resistant to smash and grab attacks. Some manufacturers of prestige vehicles offer very high strength glass, which is resistant to all but the most determined attacks.

A down side though is that breaking a window to free a person from a locked or crashed vehicle is a more difficult process."

So, all in all, a mixed bag of good things and bad things?? As almost everything..
I would appreciate your views and experiences on this matter highly!

Jac
You have answered your own question. You pays your money and you take your chances.
Old 02-24-11, 05:56 AM
CarGuy89
Lexus Test Driver

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Some excellent points there. I kinda leaned towards a CL mainly b/c of the laminated glass (reduced noise). However, I can report that the normal glass is extremely quiet too. The car has many rubber seals around, giving great insulation. I can't really even hear oncoming traffic going by.

One (and only one to me) negative aspect is that the laminated glass could fog up over time as water gets trapped between the seals.
Old 02-24-11, 08:34 PM
V8_Fan
Racer

Received 37 Likes on 28 Posts

I'd avoid ammonia based cleaners on laminated glass (top of the side windows). I use the Toyota OEM glass cleaner foam spray (only like $3 at the dealer).
Old 02-24-11, 09:02 PM
AlexusAnja
Lead Lap

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

The only real disadvantage is that over time, many have experienced the panes separating and causing this haze/fog effect starting from the bottom up. So, once that happens, it's time to either replace or have that haze slowly move up.
Old 02-24-11, 09:43 PM
svlexus
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

If you have to break your way out the glass will shatter into a soft sheet. If you break the glass you can get out no problem, maybe get very minor cuts. It isnt glued in around the edges like a windshield. Lexus wouldnt install it if it locked you in.
Old 02-25-11, 04:36 AM
Jabberwock

Received 205 Likes on 168 Posts

I suggest folks keep a window breaker/escape tool in every car regardless,

but especially if you have laminated windows you got to have a tool to assist in emergency exiting

(maybe an ice ax or one of these : )

http://www.amazon.com/SOG-Specialty-..._bxgy_hi_img_b

Last edited by Jabberwock; 02-25-11 at 04:41 AM.
Old 02-26-11, 03:46 AM
GRAND_LS 4
3UZ-FEEEE

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts

The noise and temperature control alone makes it all worth it to me.