LS - 3rd Gen (2001-2006) Discussion topics related to the flagship Lexus LS430

questions about voice commands

Search this Thread

Old 02-24-11, 10:34 AM
jac430
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default questions about voice commands

Since there came no list of voice commands with my car, I decided to make a list myself with the aid of the voice recognition help screens.
The dealer said such a list was not available (in the Netherlands).
Standard voice command language is English, by the way.

The list I made (from photos of all help screens), differs from lists I find on the internet.

Now (finally) my question:
In how far is the list you can find under the "help" function complete?
Or does the system react correctly to a lot of other commands as well?
How to find out (other than try everything in the dictionary with multiple combinations...)?

To give an example: the list says "mark this point", but "mark" seems to work just as good.

My English pronunciation is most certainly not as good as yours, and sometimes I get a response from the system in which I cannot recognize anything I said, or at least thought I had said
So it would be nice to have a complete overview on beforehand.

Thanks for your assistance in this.

Jac
Old 02-24-11, 10:43 AM
CarGuy89
Lexus Test Driver

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

One of the coolest things: save your home address into the system, then say "go home". It will automatically route you back home. Saying "zoom in" or "zoom out" works well too. I have also turned the radio on by saying "radio on". The temperature commands don't seem to work too well. It will change the temp, but not to the temp you asked for lol.
Old 02-24-11, 10:50 AM
sojah
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

i really tried to use these voice commands for the first month or so of ownership but i got fed up with trying to use it or trying to show it off to passengers by saying a command and then car saying "showing all chinese restaurants", when i clearly did not saying anything about chinese restaurants...

i got so annoyed with it i stopped using it cuz it was quicker to just touch the damn thing. i am a native english speaker and i can't hardly get the damn thing to work, my wife laughs at me cuz she is japanese and her japanese engrish accent seems to make it work better than my voice. in my defense her peoples were the ones that made it anyways so this just shows me that you have to have a japanese english inflection in your tone to get it to operate properly.
Old 02-24-11, 10:58 AM
jac430
Driver

Hi CarGuy89,

Yes, "home" or "go home" is also one of my favourites!
The temp. setting seems to work reasonably well. We have temperatures in degrees centigrade, and the range is from 16 to 30 °C.
I rarely have passengers, but I suppose that is good for an impressive demonstration!
My wife was not impressed though. She is not into this kind of technological fun; it is more of a boys toy I suppose. (But she has a lot of other qualities to my liking.)
I have not tried the commands "raise temperature" or "lower temperature" yet.
I read somewhere that activates a change of several degrees.

When you see someone driving around in NL loudly talking to himself, it is probably me trying to master the art of voice commands

@sojah: I'll try to impose some Japanese accent into my speaking to the LS430.
I agree that after several tries with certain commands, I also gave up (for the time being) and just touched the button to get things done...

Jac
Old 02-24-11, 10:59 AM
caddyowner
Lead Lap

Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts

I've never found a voice response system that I liked. I also find it humorous (and frustrating) that the voice response system in the LS430 lets you control all types of useless functions, but not the phone.
Old 02-24-11, 10:59 AM
mndaves
Driver

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

My favorite is saying "I'm hungry" which results in "system is showing restaurant icons"...

We don't have any problems with the recognition, only with remembering the commands we can use. We keep a list in the glove box but forget it's there most of the time.
Old 02-24-11, 11:10 AM
CarGuy89
Lexus Test Driver

I will say that the voice commands are sort of unreliable (though not as bad as they used to be). Funny example: when I first got the car, I was sitting inside with my grandfather. I was unfamiliar with buttons behind the steering wheel so I must've pushed the voice activation by accident. Anyway, my grandfather and I were speaking Chinese and all of a sudden, the car goes "setting temperature to 81 degrees". I was like WTF lol.
Old 02-24-11, 11:12 AM
GLIDESUL
Lead Lap

All commands suck except for saying go Home.
Old 02-24-11, 11:47 AM
jac430
Driver

" go home" , "map (direction)" , "screen off" , "track up (down)" , "disc up (down)" seem to work quite reliable, as well as most temperature settings.

I agree with caddyowner that commands for the phone would have been much more useful than "show fourth destination" and the like.

They also have included "rental car". Interesting to know where you can rent a car, but were we not in a car already?
Japanese logic?

Jac
Old 02-24-11, 12:07 PM
caddyowner
Lead Lap

Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts

I've tried to get the ejection seat commands to work, but nothing so far. My wife was not amused.
Old 02-25-11, 02:59 PM
jayclapp
Lexus Champion

Received 106 Likes on 85 Posts

"IPO off" seems to work to get rid of the icons for me.
Old 02-25-11, 03:17 PM
sojah
Lead Lap

i can only seem to get the chinese restaurants in my area to show and they were not even that accurate by the way cuz i tried to go to a couple of them and they were not chinese restaurants at all, the atm thing was pretty bunk as well.
Old 02-26-11, 12:18 AM
jac430
Driver

Yes, I suppose most of the data is outdated. Could you call it "outdata" ?
No ATMs included in NL though. That would have been handy (if correct...).
The restaurant choice is also a bit different, as well as most of the Recreation, Community, Banking, Other and Automotive POIs.
Shopping is not subdivided, it is just only "shopping". Useless.

I have not tried any of the POI commands. Just starting with the audio and nav ones.

I will try a few new (for me) voice commands each time I make a somewhat longer trip with the LS.

I'll try the "eject passenger seat" command when my wife is in a good mood. See if she can appreciate it...

Jac
Old 02-26-11, 07:06 AM
CarGuy89
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by caddyowner
I've tried to get the ejection seat commands to work, but nothing so far. My wife was not amused.
Only works if your car came with the ESP (ejection seat package) or CPP (crappy passenger pack). Maybe you have it but just need to slow down when saying the command
Old 02-26-11, 07:34 AM
jac430
Driver

@CarGuy89: That might very well be the reason that they did not issue a list with voice commands in NL.
If the wife reads is, she would probably want to be in the drivers' seat and try the commands herself.
Although.... she does a lot of reading, but manuals are not much amongst her favourite literature
But sometimes she does browse through a manual and manages to pick out controversial items (in this case she would certainly stumble across the "eject passenger" or "silence passenger" commands).

Tried and working commands so far:
* map
* help
* screen off
* map direction
* audio
* raise temperature (it raises temp by 2 °C)
* lower temperature (it lowers temp by 2 °C)
* track up
* track down
* disc up
* disc down
* various temperature settings (I tried 18, 19, 20 °)

(much) more to follow. Probably till the new wears off and I can just enjoy the driving and silence itself.

Jac

Quick Reply: questions about voice commands