LS - 3rd Gen (2001-2006) Discussion topics related to the flagship Lexus LS430

Squeaky LS430

Search this Thread

Old 02-25-11, 04:24 PM
raffles
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Squeaky LS430

I recently started a thread in an effort to resolve a squeak that occurs when I switch my Lexus off. I thought maybe it was my A/C but today I turned my A/c off prior to shutting down the engine. The noise then became more obvious, it is emanating from my steering column retracting to its HOME position. Is there any way to lubricate this?
Old 02-25-11, 07:16 PM
CarGuy89
Lexus Test Driver

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by raffles
I recently started a thread in an effort to resolve a squeak that occurs when I switch my Lexus off. I thought maybe it was my A/C but today I turned my A/c off prior to shutting down the engine. The noise then became more obvious, it is emanating from my steering column retracting to its HOME position. Is there any way to lubricate this?
It's most likely the retracting steering wheel. I doubt it's the A/C as I don't notice any noise at all (other than when I tell my mirrors to fold in) when I shut the car off. I hear that as the car ages, the steering mechanism starts to go bad and make noise as it retracts back in. To save some $$ you might want to have the dealer disable the retracting wheel.
Old 02-26-11, 12:50 PM
fergo308
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

There is a thread on here somewhere with details on how to lubricate the column,you may want to do a search for that...

Justin...
Old 03-06-11, 07:57 AM
raffles
Driver School Candidate

I researched this forum and found that a TSB had been issued for the 2004 LS430. I took my 2003 in to Lexus of the Treasure Coast and they inspected the vehicle and told me that I need a new motor & motor tilt. $330.00, $351.00 and $280.00 labor. My Lexus does not qualify under the TSB???? Seems odd that Lexus acknowledged there was a design problem and took steps to correct the situation but somehow failed to pinpoint when the problem began. I am getting a letter off to Lexus.
Old 03-06-11, 11:33 AM
CarGuy89
Lexus Test Driver

I researched this forum and found that a TSB had been issued for the 2004 LS430. I took my 2003 in to Lexus of the Treasure Coast and they inspected the vehicle and told me that I need a new motor & motor tilt. $330.00, $351.00 and $280.00 labor. My Lexus does not qualify under the TSB???? Seems odd that Lexus acknowledged there was a design problem and took steps to correct the situation but somehow failed to pinpoint when the problem began. I am getting a letter off to Lexus.
Ouch that's a lot of $$. If they don't approve your car for a TSB in the end, you may want to just get this feature disabled altogether.
Old 03-07-11, 06:23 AM
raffles
Driver School Candidate

If I had it disabled does that mean my steering would be locked in one spot or can I move it manually?
Old 03-07-11, 06:30 AM
jac430
Driver

If I had it disabled does that mean my steering would be locked in one spot or can I move it manually?
It keeps working the same as before, only it does not retract automatically.
So all memory positions and (electrical) adjustments are still possible.

Jac
Old 03-07-11, 07:16 AM
CarGuy89
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by jac430
It keeps working the same as before, only it does not retract automatically.
So all memory positions and (electrical) adjustments are still possible.

Jac
Yup what he said. You can still make adjustments. I have never had a car before that automatically retracts away so getting in without the feature should be pretty easy still.
Old 03-07-11, 07:43 AM
Lynzoid
Lexus Test Driver

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

cmon... little lithium grease on the tilt/extend shaft and it's all good...
Old 03-08-11, 07:51 AM
raffles
Driver School Candidate

Thats how my thread started but it seemed like it involved some dismantling and my old body don't bend like it used....I'm of an age when if it needed lubricating the manufacturer supplied a grease fitting. Incidentally I have gotten a letter off to Lexus noting my displeasure, I feel like a "notch baby".
Old 03-08-11, 11:00 AM
GLIDESUL
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Hope you get the problem resolved, maybe lexus can do something for you or not. Keep us posted.
Old 03-08-11, 05:15 PM
yangins
Driver School Candidate

keep us informed of what
Old 03-09-11, 06:51 AM
Jabberwock

Received 205 Likes on 168 Posts

Don't waste time arguing with Lexus about the TSB being a admission of a design flaw because that is absolutely not what a TSB is, and they will argue about it until the cows come home. A TSB is a technical publication that contains a specific problem description and a factory recommendation for use by the Lexus technician on the best way to repair/resolve break downs/problems/maintenance issues on a Lexus vehicles.

A design defect would be addressed in a recall and not just in a TSB.

So the best way to work the conversation on reduced or comped repair cost is to ask for a manager and discuss with them how you are a loyal customer and that you understand all cars need periodic maint and repair but in this specific case you are disappointed with quality, repair seems costly given age of car, repair is on an item that does not break in other cars, etc., etc. That conversation can work to your advantage. Arguing about TSBs should be done for free is a dog that won't hunt, wastes time, and just makes them think you are a noob.
Old 03-19-11, 08:38 AM
raffles
Driver School Candidate

Default Squeaky steering column

I received a phone call from Lexus and they wised me up on what a TSB is, the conversation pretty much followed the way I expected. My intent was not to try and squabble about a freebie but to understand how my vehicle suffers from the problem that initiated the TSB and yet my VIN# wasn't included within the bracket provided for in the TSB.

I was told that the TSB's are only good during the vehicles warranty period anyway and of course that discluded me. I can only assume the squeak became apparent to Lexus after my warranty expiration, hence the ommission of my VIN. I still love my Lexus and if the squeak gets really annoying I will have Lexus disable the program that operates the retraction. Thanx for all the advice.
Old 03-19-11, 12:22 PM
V8_Fan
Racer

Received 37 Likes on 28 Posts

It's well known that on all Lexus models, the auto-retracting steering wheel motors eventually wear out and squeak/groan, then fail. I knew this even before I bought my LX in '06, so the first thing I did was to have the dealer disable the auto retracting feature. The memory steering column still works. When I bought my LS, I did exactly the same thing. Also, don't use the auto folding mirrors and auto tilt-down function unless you really have to. Those motors are wear out and the replacement cost is like $1800 for a single mirror! You can shut the auto tilt off by putting the mirror switch in the center position.

Quick Reply: Squeaky LS430