LS - 3rd Gen (2001-2006) Discussion topics related to the flagship Lexus LS430

why do people lower the 430?

Search this Thread

Old 03-02-11, 05:57 AM
caddyowner
Lead Lap

Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by jac430
... I am not in favour of the ... unrealistic wheels ...
It may be a language thing, but this made me chuckle. Are you referring to the large wheels, fat lips, skinny tires, or all of the above? I'm not a fan of wheels larger than 19" on these cars. I also think lowering a car to the point of having noticeably askew rear camber is going too far.

That said, I think it's great that folks have a creative interest in the car. It certainly makes the forum a more diverse and interesting place. Otherwise, it would just be a small number of us old farts (and old-farts at heart) talking about creaking windows and dealer service costs.
Old 03-02-11, 06:11 AM
jac430
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Yes, all the above

I really appreciate the various opinions and minds of the forum members.
Especially if they are controversial or at least differ from how I feel about things.
Confirmation of what I already think does learn me very little, and very often my views change by talking to people with other views or read and discuss about it.

Often I like the different approaches, but just to observe them and to follow them myself.

Concerning the LS430: I like the stock car.
Mine has the standard 18" alloy wheels, which are fine by me.
If it had 17", it would even be a bit more comfortable, I think, probably at the expense of road holding quality and feel of the road.
I go for a comfortable ride myself.

You are certainly right that different view contribute a great deal!

Jac
Old 03-02-11, 06:17 AM
LucidSnow
Rookie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

i want to lower it for the wheel gap reduced and stance. ride quality i still hope to be as close as oem as possible. the softness of not feeling bumps have really spoiled me. me and my frend was talking how when we ride other cars its always a comparison and we notice all the bumps that were never there when we drive our own cars.
Old 03-02-11, 06:18 AM
warminwisc
Lexus Champion

Received 31 Likes on 28 Posts

Is the resale value improved after these mods?
Old 03-02-11, 06:27 AM
DaveGS4
Forum Administrator

Received 2,242 Likes on 1,361 Posts

Originally Posted by warminwisc
Is the resale value improved after these mods?
Not to the point where you'll recoup the cost of the items and labor you have installed on the car. You'll take a bath with a heavily modified car.

Sometimes it can actually diminish the value of the car and decreases the audience of buyers who will be interested in it.
Old 03-02-11, 06:55 AM
Infamous 1
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

As stated before, its personal preference. You'll find that most people on the forums want to learn how to customize their cars to be different from every other car out there.

Also, i think age has a lot to do with it!
Old 03-02-11, 07:41 AM
warminwisc
Lexus Champion

Received 31 Likes on 28 Posts

thanks for the replys. Beauty is in the eye of the beholder and if you got the cash go fot it!!

me I am just a stodgy ol fart. I would like to see these lowered cars up close i bet they can look pretty cool. I do not see em here in concervative ol central Wisco.
Old 03-02-11, 07:49 AM
Infamous 1
Lexus Champion

There are some great examples here:

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/ls4...re-thread.html
Old 03-02-11, 09:26 AM
sojah
Lead Lap

i personally think the 01-03 is a very ugly car stock, and the 04-06 slightly less ugly but still ugly stock. however when lowered on some 19's or 20's with a few various other nicely done mods i think this is one of the best looking cars ever made and i am very happy that i have the pleasure of owning such an incredibly sexy looking automobile (in its modded form).

when i see a stock ls430 especially UL i can't help but wonder if the air temperature is cooler up at that altitude¿¿¿

they just look so silly and out of balance/proportion by having 6+ inches of wheel gap. if only it were 4 wheel drive it could be a luxury version of the subaru outback

on the flipside i pulled up to a stock M the other day it too was incredibly high in the air. wheel gap makes me feel queezy in my stomach when i see a beautiful car with too much of it, kinda like if you see a beautiful woman and then notice that she has the muffin top going on over her skinny jeans.
Old 03-02-11, 10:15 AM
caddyowner
Lead Lap

Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts

Just to stick up for us old farts, but a somewhat taller car is easier for us to enter and exit.
Old 03-02-11, 11:53 AM
GS3Tek

Received 165 Likes on 126 Posts

Originally Posted by scottgolf
I don't mean this wrong, but why do people lower the 430? the car is a luxury car, not a race car. Wouldn't the lowering make it ride bad? I understand that its america and people can do what ever they want, but I am just trying to understand the purpose, or what they are thinking. Maybe I am the one missing out.
It's more for looks and at the same time, it can help with better cornering ability/stability. The ride firmness/smoothness will depend on the type of aftermarket suspension that you choose: from mild (close to oem) to extreme.

Yes, it's no speed racer, but it does get a little annoying when you're going on a curve/turn and your passenger is leaning or holding on to the door handle (even at low speed)

Don't forget that some of the more extreme guys lowering their car to the ground is because they're on the modified air suspension, allowing the car to sit on the ground-and for photographic reason. They can raise it back up to normal driving height.

An S class/7 series/A8 are also luxury cars, but with a blend of sportiness to them also
Old 03-02-11, 12:47 PM
sojah
Lead Lap

yes,, ^ ^ ^ i agree that the turning performance of a school bus made me want to tighten up my suspension some, but i still have mine relatively soft even at a low setting which can be somewhat troublesome with 4+ people in the car.
Old 03-02-11, 09:51 PM
JP2SEA
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

^what your rear spring rate? Do you want to get some 40kg spring from Jpn? haha
Old 03-03-11, 05:02 AM
sojah
Lead Lap

not sure but it was what ever came with the bc racing coilovers for the >MC ls430. i also have them set to about 85% towards full soft.
Old 03-03-11, 07:24 AM
Marklouis
Lexus Champion

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

I did notice a huge difference in the center of gravity when I went from my stock low riding 94' Acura Vigor to the Lexus LS series. I definately cant take turns as fast for sure and I can feel alot more of the weight transferring to my body, or at least it feels that way.

Quick Reply: why do people lower the 430?