LS - 3rd Gen (2001-2006) Discussion topics related to the flagship Lexus LS430

PCV Valve(s), spark plugs, intake manifold, & air filter

Search this Thread

Old 03-05-11, 11:55 AM
gemineye
Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default PCV Valve(s), spark plugs, intake manifold, & air filter

Went to replace spark plugs, clean throttle body, and replace PCV Valve on my '02 LS430. . . .everything went fine with no problems, but I now have some questions:

1) I replaced my spark plugs with copper plugs (not iridium). Vehicle seems to drive fine. . . .yet since the change, I've read several posts where ppl are saying that iridium is the only way to go if you don't want driveability issues. Is there any truth to this? Anyone used either nickel or copper plugs and have been fine?

2) I replaced the PCV valve and grommet on bank 1 (driver's side). While checking out the other side, I notice a component that appeared to look very much like a PCV valve. What is that? It appears to thread into the bank 2 (passenger side) valve cover and has a tube that connects it to the intake. Should I replace this component as well as part of a good maintenance program?

3) Prior to pulling the throttle body for cleaning, I performed the SeaFoam (or Sea Foam) treatment - put the SeaFoam in gas tank, put in oil, and pulled into engine through brake booster line). I pulled the throttle body, cleaned it (throttle plate and hinges were pretty damn dirty, but I also have 149k), then took a look in the intake manny to see if I could clean anything else. . . .and much to my surprise, the interior of the intake manifold looked freaking brand new (shiny aluminum, no black deposits anywhere)!!! Not sure if this was due to the SeaFoam treatment or if that's just how these engines run. Anyone pulled their throttle body and took a look inside the intake manny? I really wished I'd been able to see the intake manifold prior to SeaFoam treatment to know if I should attribute the good looking intake manifold interior to the SeaFoam or a well engineered product of Toyota. My vehicle prior to this was a turbo DSM, and the interior of the intake manny looked horrible (black deposits lining the entire interior), but that could have been due to the turbo running 20+ psi almost 100% of the time.

4) I went to replace the air filter and daaammmnnnnnnnm. . . .there's that protective black plastic cover (does nothing but clean up the appearance of the engine bay) that won't come off for the life of me. I got one 'connector' to come off but not the one closest to the front of the car. The connector looks like a plastic pin with long threads on it that feed that the plastic cover feeds onto to make the connection. Is there something I'm doing wrong or do I just need to continue pulling with everything I got to get it to finally let loose? Geez. . . .kinda unusual if you ask me.

Thanks for any feedback guys,
Randy G
'02 LS430
Old 03-05-11, 02:32 PM
randal
Lead Lap

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Can't really comment on the other stuff but as far as the intake snout, you have to pull up on the plastic screw as you are unscrewing it. Its a 'hokey' arrangement but it will come out with some firm upward pressure.
Old 03-07-11, 10:23 AM
gemineye
Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Thanks Randall. . . .I am 100% positive using the method you described will work better than the method I was using (i.e., grabbing the plastic panel and yanking upwards until the plastic screw things finally let loose)! Hahah! Thanks again.

Randy G.
'02 LS430
Old 03-07-11, 11:39 AM
toantran99
Intermediate

Received 30 Likes on 26 Posts

Can't comment on the copper plugs but I replaced mine with the iridium plug, car is running great.
Old 03-08-11, 05:25 PM
yangins
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by randal
Can't really comment on the other stuff but as far as the intake snout, you have to pull up on the plastic screw as you are unscrewing it. Its a 'hokey' arrangement but it will come out with some firm upward pressure.

Plastic screws suck!
Old 03-08-11, 05:33 PM
warminwisc
Lexus Champion

Received 31 Likes on 28 Posts

I have n 04 and iridiums are OEM. I am just curious why you went with the copper plugs when/IF iridium is OEM and mine have lasted 130k strong. It seems like the work to replace the plugs outweighs the cost savings in the long run yet alone how it effects the ignition system.

I have not read about anyone using copper plugs.