LS - 3rd Gen (2001-2006) Discussion topics related to the flagship Lexus LS430

Radio stays on even after engine turned off?

Search this Thread

Old 03-10-11, 02:36 PM
Muti007
Advanced

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Hitting the off button may not fix the true issue at hand, but at least you wont be coming out to a dead battery and this problem is then a severely minor one. I can't believe i actually had to suggest that if your radio stays on after you turn your car off and its killing your battery to use the "off" button.
Old 03-10-11, 04:11 PM
caddyowner
Lead Lap

Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by mikevanle
What exactly are you referring to?
Disconnect battery cable for 30 minutes then reattach. There are a number of threads on doing this to correct a number of electrical issues.
Old 03-10-11, 04:55 PM
mikevanle
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by caddyowner
Disconnect battery cable for 30 minutes then reattach. There are a number of threads on doing this to correct a number of electrical issues.
Yes, that was one of the first thing I did. I resetted the ECU via disconnecting the battery for a while. Well, for now I'm carrying around a jumper cable

Warranty just expired last month too... figures.
Old 03-10-11, 04:59 PM
Muti007
Advanced

Yes, that was one of the first thing I did. I resetted the ECU via disconnecting the battery for a while. Well, for now I'm carrying around a jumper cable

Warranty just expired last month too... figures.
Did the off button bite you?
Old 03-10-11, 07:45 PM
DaveGS4
Forum Administrator

Received 2,279 Likes on 1,385 Posts

Multi, he's trying to fix the root cause of the issue... of course he gets that he can turn it off but he shouldn't have to remember to do that... Its a PITA.

Mike you should be able take this to the dealer and ask them about warranty coverage. Ask for 'goodwill'.
Old 03-11-11, 12:42 AM
Muti007
Advanced

Originally Posted by DaveGS4
Multi, he's trying to fix the root cause of the issue... of course he gets that he can turn it off but he shouldn't have to remember to do that... Its a PITA.

Mike you should be able take this to the dealer and ask them about warranty coverage. Ask for 'goodwill'.
Its a PITA to press the off button, but not to carry around jumper cables and let the battery die? I get that he shouldnt have to and hes trying to fix the issue, Id be doing the same. But until then, what he is doing is ridiculous and is making a minor issue a much bigger one until fixed. YMMV, but to me, pressing a button isnt such a big deal, even in a LExus.
Old 03-11-11, 05:29 AM
DaveGS4
Forum Administrator

Received 2,279 Likes on 1,385 Posts

Multi, I still don't think you get it. This thread isn't about him asking about turning off his radio. He knows how to do that and that he certainly can rather than draw down the battery. The cables are a safety measure in case he forgets to do that when when he exits the car.

I jumped in here on this thread because your comments were getting a bit snarky about the 'off button' with the quip below.

Originally Posted by Muti007
Did the off button bite you?
Of course he knows to do & how to do turn the radio off with the on/off button. Let's get this thread back on solving his problem and not simply needling him about something he's obviously able to do please.
Old 03-11-11, 05:31 AM
Muti007
Advanced

No worries, you got it Dave.
Old 03-11-11, 05:51 AM
caddyowner
Lead Lap

Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts

Do VW radios still stay on with the ignition turned off? This was a "feature" of my 70s VW Rabbits. I never came back to a dead battery, but I did get in the car and find music playing. Oops!
Old 05-07-20, 12:37 PM
Timster161
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

So my radio stays on even after I turn off my car, even if I lock it. Wtf? I just noticed this today. It doesn't happen when I'm on "CD" mode though. It happens in AM and FM mode.

Any ideas?? It's an 04 LS430.
hey man I'm having the exact same problem did you ever fix it do you have the car still I have the exact same problem just happened to me a couple days ago I don't know what it is wondering if you found the fix or know someone that has the fix
Old 05-08-20, 09:01 AM
2KHarrier

Received 242 Likes on 200 Posts

Originally Posted by Timster161
hey man I'm having the exact same problem did you ever fix it do you have the car still I have the exact same problem just happened to me a couple days ago I don't know what it is wondering if you found the fix or know someone that has the fix
I saw your plea for help over on the FB group and it really has me stumped. Some of the things discussed above are worth noting. Water ingestion, Animals getting into the wiring. No other repairs or mods done to the audio system, correct?
Old 05-08-20, 09:03 AM
Timster161
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by 2KHarrier
I saw your plea for help over on the FB group and it really has me stumped. Some of the things discussed above are worth noting. Water ingestion, Animals getting into the wiring. No other repairs or mods done to the audio system, correct?
yes it is the stock market Levinson sound system like I said the radio stays on with the key off no matter what you do unless it is on CD mode
Old 05-08-20, 07:43 PM
lextout
Racer

Received 47 Likes on 45 Posts

i had a 94 s500 whare the radio n heater would stay on for 20 minutes even with key out but was from the factory like that, the heater blew heat in from the engine bay
Old 09-05-20, 08:12 PM
newmoney
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Gx470

That would be awesome... if it turns off when I open the door or something. But it just stays on! I can turn off the engine, open the door, and lock the car (with the remote, twice so the headlights turn off) and the radio is still on.

Well, for the time being I'm putting it on CD mode since the problem only seem to happen in radio (AM or FM).
well mines doing the da same thing except radio or cd it’s still staying on
Old 09-06-20, 03:37 PM
Striker223
Lexus Champion

Received 1,225 Likes on 910 Posts

Yamae needs to weigh in since he is a master at finding the electrical diagrams for these cars

Quick Reply: Radio stays on even after engine turned off?