LS - 3rd Gen (2001-2006) Discussion topics related to the flagship Lexus LS430

Looking for a 04 - 06 Ls430 UL in NYC Tips

Search this Thread

Old 03-11-11, 08:24 AM
veeman5
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Recent Purchase in NYC Area

I just purchased a 2001 LS430 with the ML and Nav package in late January for $11,500. The following points were key for me:

1.) Mileage - 75,500
2.) One owner car
3.) Based in Michigan for its entire history prior to my purchase
4.) Clean car fax history (e.g., no accidents)
5.) Full service history at MyLexus (all at dealer in Michigan)
6.) Visually clean inside and out (except for minor stains in carpet that can be cleaned)
7.) Car was presented for purchase in Jersey City, NJ by family member of owner; the owner relocated outside of the country and empowered his nephew to sell it on his behalf.

I just spent an additional $670 to install bluetooth and backup camera capabilities to the car. Thus far, this has been the best vehicle purchase I've ever made!
Old 03-11-11, 08:37 AM
Sentinel
Pole Position

Im looking at 2 tomorrow both under 55000 miles, one white and one is gray. What should I be expecting to pay there both mid 20s non CPO
Old 03-11-11, 09:54 AM
caddyowner
Lead Lap

Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by veeman5
I just purchased a 2001 LS430 with the ML and Nav package in late January for $11,500. The following points were key for me:

3.) Based in Michigan for its entire history prior to my purchase
7.) Car was presented for purchase in Jersey City, NJ by family member of owner; the owner relocated outside of the country and empowered his nephew to sell it on his behalf.
#3: Having lived in MI for the past 30 years, be sure to check for rust / salt damage underneath. Many Michigan owners don't drive their nice cars in the winter. Others, well, are like CarGuy and drive them in all kinds of nasty, salty conditions.

#7: This is a common ruse used by curbstoners (unlicensed dealers). They will buy a car and not transfer it into their name. When you buy the car, they have a signed-over title with another person's name on it and a shaggy dog story about their sick or out-of-country owner relative. They may even have a TR-128 form signed by the "seller" naming the intermediary as their agent. They do this to avoid paying for a dealer license and paying tax on the car. You may get a perfectly fine car with no liens or warrants. However, if anything comes up you are on your own because the seller often uses a throw-away cell phone and email to disappear.
Old 03-11-11, 11:05 AM
veeman5
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by caddyowner
#3: Having lived in MI for the past 30 years, be sure to check for rust / salt damage underneath. Many Michigan owners don't drive their nice cars in the winter. Others, well, are like CarGuy and drive them in all kinds of nasty, salty conditions.

#7: This is a common ruse used by curbstoners (unlicensed dealers). They will buy a car and not transfer it into their name. When you buy the car, they have a signed-over title with another person's name on it and a shaggy dog story about their sick or out-of-country owner relative. They may even have a TR-128 form signed by the "seller" naming the intermediary as their agent. They do this to avoid paying for a dealer license and paying tax on the car. You may get a perfectly fine car with no liens or warrants. However, if anything comes up you are on your own because the seller often uses a throw-away cell phone and email to disappear.
We certainly checked for rust, etc. prior to purchasing. The vehicle averaged 8,000 miles a year - it was quite lightly driven. Regarding your last point, I definitely appreciate the warning - however, I am confident that this wasn't the case in this transaction. I took possession of the title in advance of completing the transaction and confirmed the validity of the title and absence of liens with the Michigan Department of State.
Old 03-11-11, 11:25 AM
caddyowner
Lead Lap

^^^
Good move. Enjoy your car. What dealer did the service?
Old 03-11-11, 04:21 PM
veeman5
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by caddyowner
^^^
Good move. Enjoy your car. What dealer did the service?
Southfields Lexus
Old 03-11-11, 04:23 PM
veeman5
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by veeman5
Southfields Lexus
Or rather, Lexus of Southfields. Any experience with them?
Old 03-11-11, 04:41 PM
caddyowner
Lead Lap

I've only visited them to look at cars. It's Meade Lexus of Southfield just northwest of Detroit. That would be the closest Lexus dealer to upscale communities like Bloomfield Hills, Birmingham, Franklin, and Farmington Hills. They also own Mead Lexus Lakeside northeast of Detroit.

I use Lexus of Lansing, about 75 miles northwest.
Old 03-12-11, 05:18 PM
Sentinel
Pole Position

I went to see 2 both under 60 miles
1st one looked ok gray/black, small crack in wind shield, some over spray on the rubber on a door. I think the suspension was shot it made me motion sick. One fog light looked a little out of place. Dealer said everything works do not try it if it breaks i get in trouble???? Service history looked great. The under panel was zip tied, some screws missing in fender liner. 21500 decided to pass for the time being ...

2nd was White / White much nicer then the first drove well. Paint on right side of bumper didnt match quarter panel. I dont know if it was a bad paint job or if maybe the car had been in the sun for too long it was pretty minor though. Driver door at the bottom looked slighty off but i might of been nit picking. Service history looked good car fax looked good.. Only think I really didnt like where the gold badges. Decided to go for it came to an agreed price went to leave the deposit and the paper work said the wrong amount!! Dealer acted confused and said he couldnt make the agreed price. So I took that as a sign a left...

The first car didnt drive anywhere near as well as the second so Ill pass on that..

The search continues..

Last edited by Sentinel; 03-12-11 at 06:56 PM.
Old 03-12-11, 06:53 PM
caddyowner
Lead Lap

Yep, keep looking. Good to pass on both of those cars / deals.
Old 03-12-11, 08:38 PM
Jabberwock

Received 205 Likes on 168 Posts

Originally Posted by Sentinel
Decided to go for it came to an agreed price went to leave the deposit and the paper work said the wrong amount!! Dealer acted confused and said he couldnt make the agreed price. So I took that as a sign a left...

The search continues..
Sentinel - very smart move... any time you sense any thing about the deal or the dealer that is fishy get up, politely tell them to **** off, and just walk out. There is no winning this game unless you are patient and clear eyed and willing to walk on any deal that is not 100% righteous from start to finish. Sadly the bad reputation of used car sales folks is well deserved.
Old 03-13-11, 10:20 AM
focsle
Rookie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I wanted to mention also that finding a 2006 UL can be a search since there was only a a handful over a 100 built that last year of the model. Much better luck finding a 2004 or 2005. Good luck with your search!!
Old 03-13-11, 10:23 AM
Sentinel
Pole Position

Yeah I see some 04s but they are in silver and they dont have any service history for the last few years
Old 03-13-11, 05:32 PM
svlexus
Driver

Not many people sell their cars anymore, they all trade them in. I shopped around for a month to find a car and just happened to wind up with the ls430. I called as soon as the ad was placed and was the first to view it. He said someone from down south was interested also.
Old 03-13-11, 08:07 PM
Sentinel
Pole Position

Yeah the so the dealer rips you of the one trade and then inflates the price..

On the flip side people who sell their own cars, dont respond to emails, take crappy pictures and seem generally confused

Quick Reply: Looking for a 04 - 06 Ls430 UL in NYC Tips