LS - 3rd Gen (2001-2006) Discussion topics related to the flagship Lexus LS430

Looking for a 04 - 06 Ls430 UL in NYC Tips

Search this Thread

Old 03-22-11, 05:38 PM
schwuller
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

i have 2 cars with air suspension and have done all of the work related to these systems on all of my cars since 2001. i, personally, would not purchase a used car with air suspension from a snow climate state unless all of the rubber parts in the system had been changed out fairly recently. i would buy the car from california or similar and have the car shipped back or drive it back if you enjoy road trips. if you do buy the car from an area with salted roads and roads known to have a lot of 'grit,' inspect the bags CAREFULLY with the car set at extended height mode. you are looking for dryness, cracking, deep 'lines,' flaking, powdery look, leatheriness, or in more extreme cases you will even see the inner 'fabric' of the bag beginning to show through. if you see any of that, new bags are needed NOW, and the pump should be rebuilt at the same time because i guarantee it's been working overtime to keep up with leaky bags. the fact is that gravel, grit, dirt, salt and big temperature changes cause these systems to wear much much faster. the bags weep air causing the compressor to overwork to keep up, and before you know it the system needs major service. this is a prime cause of most of the 'don't buy an air suspension car' mantra. these systems are simple, easy to repair, and parts are readily available online at deep discounts to the dealer's prices. however, rubber is rubber. and when you factor in extreme yearly climate changes, bad roads, road salt, and extra grit, you don't need to be a scientist to know what that environment does to rubber components that are UNDERNEATH and and supporting a ~4000 lb vehicle. ask any east coast big rig trucker, whose truck uses a similar air suspension, if he has to change his airbags more often than a trucker who primarily does runs within southern california.

Last edited by schwuller; 03-22-11 at 05:42 PM.
Old 03-22-11, 06:11 PM
Sentinel
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Bought the car with air suspension so we will see !! The shocks look like 800 each.