Buying an 04, worried about Tire Pressure Indicator

Search this Thread

Old 03-28-11, 03:08 PM
nashvagas
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Buying an 04, worried about Tire Pressure Indicator

Hi Everyone,

New to the forum. I have been reading lots, just registered. I am looking at an 04 LS430 with 104k. It is the original TX owner serviced at the Lexus dealer. Had the 90k (timing belt & water pump) done at the dealer at 101k. It has always been garaged, but has 3 small dings..front and rear bumber and a small on on the passenger side back door. The power mirror motors were disconnected at the dealer b/c they wouldn't fold back out (dealer quoted 1300 to fix so he just had them disconnect). The low tire indicator light is on, but the tire pressure is fine. Is that a big problem? It doesn't have nav, but does have the premium pkg. They are in their 60s and have taken very good care of the car. He is asking 15,500, does that sound reasonable? Thanks
Old 03-28-11, 03:15 PM
Slvr surfr
Lexus Test Driver

Received 11 Likes on 6 Posts

Check the pressure of the spare tire in the trunk. This is a commonly overlooked item when dealing with the TPMS.

Welcome to Club Lexus!
Old 03-28-11, 03:26 PM
ayonnebay
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by nashvagas
The low tire indicator light is on, but the tire pressure is fine. Is that a big problem?

If the 4 tires have correct pressure, all that needs to be done is to Initialize the TPMS per the owners manual. I forget the exact procedure, but it's in the manual, and you must see the word "Initialize" in the dash display.

The 04s have a primitive TPMS system, with no tire-mounted pressure monitors on any of the tires. It counts wheel rotations. Anytime a tire's pressure is changed, even when bringing all of the mounted tires to the correct pressure, the TPMS system must be "initialized", not just "reset". It's been covered here many times, and a search may bring up the step-by-step procedure.

Walt
Old 03-28-11, 04:18 PM
caddyowner
Lead Lap

Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts

Welcome. I'd have it inspected to determine if there are any other hidden gotchas. The TPMS should reset once you follow the procedure. Also, run a KBB on the price as I'm not sure what the value would be with that mileage.
Old 03-28-11, 04:46 PM
Ty419
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Way (way) up under the dash where your right knee is, there is a **** and two buttons. The **** adjusts the beep volume. The button closer to you is the tire pressure initialize button and the button further away is for the smartkey. Turn the car to on and hold in the button until the tire light goes out, like 5 seconds maybe.
Old 03-28-11, 04:49 PM
warminwisc
Lexus Champion

Received 31 Likes on 28 Posts

I would ask him what the dealer said they would give him. Cost for dent doctors plus cost of mirrors subtracted now you are getting close to what I would pay him
Old 03-28-11, 07:48 PM
Jabberwock

Received 205 Likes on 168 Posts

If mirrors are broken, deduct full cost of getting them fixed (700 per mirror) - its not a trivial thing.

Dings can be fixed, if not through the paint, for approx $100/per ding - deduct from asking price.

See if resetting TPMS will clear the error if not something else may be wrong. There are no sensors in the tires - its a system that measures tire rotations. Make sure wheels and tires are all same brand and size.

My advice is don't accept car as is for asking price unless broken items are fixed or offer him wholesale price if he wants to sell with dings and broken mirrors.

Strongly suggest you get the car inspected at Lexus before buying.
Old 03-28-11, 07:57 PM
Muti007
Advanced

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

How can you check if your car has TPMS? By 04, it wasnt a fed requirement. I need to figure out if my car has it as I just ordered new wheels and didnt allow for or add TPMS.
Old 03-29-11, 02:55 AM
AlexusAnja
Lead Lap

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Default Tpms

Originally Posted by Muti007
How can you check if your car has TPMS? By 04, it wasnt a fed requirement. I need to figure out if my car has it as I just ordered new wheels and didnt allow for or add TPMS.
Don't know about earlier, but '04-'06 the TPMS was standard. As many mentioned before, it's not sensor monitored in the tire, it's using the ABS system to monitor variances in relative tire rotation. You should not have a problem with new wheels, just initialize it after install.

To initialize, press and hold (about 5-10 s) the TIRE button under the right side dash bottom (where the volume for alarm is), with key in "ON" position and it should go to "INTIALIZED" when done on dash.
Old 03-29-11, 05:38 AM
caddyowner
Lead Lap

Yes, be thankful for the LS430s "crude" TPMS system as it makes seasonal wheel / tire changeovers much easier. None of that deflate - inflate nonsense that is necessary to teach a pressure sensor based system where each tire is located.
Old 03-29-11, 06:28 AM
Muti007
Advanced

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by AlexusAnja
Don't know about earlier, but '04-'06 the TPMS was standard. As many mentioned before, it's not sensor monitored in the tire, it's using the ABS system to monitor variances in relative tire rotation. You should not have a problem with new wheels, just initialize it after install.

To initialize, press and hold (about 5-10 s) the TIRE button under the right side dash bottom (where the volume for alarm is), with key in "ON" position and it should go to "INTIALIZED" when done on dash.
I keep hearing about these buttons on the right side of the dash above the drivers right kneee, but I have nothing there. No button for the alarm volume either, theres nothing at all on that side of the dash on my car.
Old 03-29-11, 07:36 AM
caddyowner
Lead Lap

You have to open the driver door, get on your knees, put your head on the floor of the car, and look up under the dash by the transmission tunnel. Once you know where they are, you can find them when reaching under from the driver seat.
Old 03-29-11, 07:39 AM
ayonnebay
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Muti007
I keep hearing about these buttons on the right side of the dash above the drivers right kneee, but I have nothing there. No button for the alarm volume either, theres nothing at all on that side of the dash on my car.
Put your head down on the floor near the gas pedal, then look up (at the underside of the dash there.
Attached Thumbnails Buying an 04, worried about Tire Pressure Indicator-100_1592.jpg  
Old 03-29-11, 08:03 AM
jayclapp
Lexus Champion

Received 105 Likes on 85 Posts

Originally Posted by ayonnebay
Put your head down on the floor near the gas pedal, then look up (at the underside of the dash there.
Just for information, that empty hole in the photo is for the Smart Key control for those cars that have it.
Old 03-29-11, 08:24 AM
CarGuy89
Lexus Test Driver

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

I wouldn't worry too much about the tire pres monitor sys. Mine turned on during the drive from Glenview IL (where I got the car) to my home in Ann Arbor MI on the highway. I almost crapped my pants to be totally honest, but my parents (who were driving behind me) said that everything looked normal. Pulled over and everything was normal. Hit the reset button and never looked back Good luck, get a pre purchase inspection from Lexus (as many have already said). Drive the car on a mixture of roads to see how it rides/handles. Also, make sure the engine is buttery smooth (shouldn't be able to feel it at all) and the trans shifts without you noticing.

Quick Reply: Buying an 04, worried about Tire Pressure Indicator