Default I'm looking to buy a LS430

I'm interested in purchasing a 01-03 LS430
can you guys tell me what problems I should
be looking for or any future problem the model
would have
Old 04-01-11 | 12:27 AM
caddyowner
Lead Lap

Welcome. I'd start by searching this forum for the word "purchase" in all thread titles:

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sea...archid=6368513
Old 04-01-11 | 06:20 AM
CarGuy89
Lexus Test Driver

Things I looked for:

- Car is serviced every 5k mi. You can check this by going to https://secure.drivers.lexus.com/lex...ervice/home.do and registering. Then enter the VIN # of the car you are considering. This will also show how frequently the car visited the dealer. Too frequently means it was likely an unreliable example. Too infrequently meant service was done elsewhere (not necessarily a bad thing, but you should get proven records) or neglected.

- Accidents: several sources, such as carfax and the site I listed above, will catch accidents. If it was just a light tap on the bumper, no big deal. Anything more, I would walk away b/c who knows the quality of repair.

- Once you've done the proper research, walk around the car to make sure all the paint matches up correctly. Open up doors and look at the edge, there should be a VIN there (means it's the original part). Open up hood, there should be VINs on the fenders and I believe hood (again, original part). This confirms car was never in serious accident. I believe the trunk and rear fenders have VINs on them too (it's been a while since I saw mine on day of purchase).

- You should never, and I mean never, be able to really feel anything from the engine (or at least the ones I've driven you don't). Engine will be audible (very slightly) if it's cold outside and the car gets started for the first time in a day or so, but you still shouldn't feel any vibrations. Once the car warms up (which should take just a few mins), you shouldn't be able to feel or hear the engine at all, not even when cruising. Make sure the trans shifts smoothly to the point where you're not aware it's really working (much like the smooth engine). Feel free to put your foot down too (esp if you're serious about buying the car). It should pull pretty hard, especially from speeds around town. Basically, you are looking for a healthy engine/trans.

- Suspension: it should be soft and absorbent, but not too excessively so (ie wallowing). Idk how to really describe it. Comfortable, but still firm enough to know you're driving...(perhaps someone else can chime in).