LS - 3rd Gen (2001-2006) Discussion topics related to the flagship Lexus LS430

steering wheel crack is it under warranty?

Search this Thread

Old 04-01-11, 11:26 AM
scottgolf
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default steering wheel crack is it under warranty?

Hi, I have bought the extended warranty in my 2005 cpo ls 430 it has 40k miles. The steering wheel has a big crack in it. I can feel the split with my hands on the wheel. It is a big split, not just cosmetic, but you can really feel it. Should I just live with it, or should I say something when I take it in for service.
Attached Thumbnails steering wheel crack is it under warranty?-dsc00751.jpg  
Old 04-01-11, 11:30 AM
caddyowner
Lead Lap

Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts

How long have you owned tour car? Is the crack new?
Old 04-01-11, 11:42 AM
mewhee
Pole Position

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Hi Scott -

Hopefully it'll be covered under warranty but kinda doubt it as it's more of a cosmetic problem rather than a functional one. You have absolutely nothing to lose by asking.

Just a suggestion, tho, call another dealer first and find out under what conditions it IS covered under your cpo warranty just in case there may be some kind of work around (read: loophole) which might get it fixed at no charge so when you DO call your regular dealer, you'll be better informed.

Good luck !
Old 04-01-11, 12:13 PM
JLAWS
Racer

Received 214 Likes on 163 Posts

Don't pick at it, you'll make it worse Cut your fingernails.

Maybe buy one of those pen tipped krazy glues and carefully fill in the crack.
Old 04-01-11, 04:49 PM
Jabberwock

Received 205 Likes on 168 Posts

I think it should be a warranty item. A crack is not wear and tear.
Old 04-01-11, 05:15 PM
svlexus
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

If I was the dealer id give you a hard time- Because you arent the original owner and you cant expect visual perfection in a used car. If it was chipping off it may be a different story. I think a bit of epoxy could fill it in and make it as strong as new, The steering wheel wood is glued together in halves in the first place. Who knows though,they may cover it.
Old 04-01-11, 06:54 PM
Bocatrip
Lead Lap

Received 274 Likes on 231 Posts

I would try to go for a new steering wheel. Good luck as it lists for over $2,000! That is without the labor of removing and reinstalling the airbag.
Old 04-01-11, 08:44 PM
Jabberwock

Received 205 Likes on 168 Posts

Lexus CPO warranty covers the car for 3 years or 100k miles for the buyer. Its supposed to be very good coverage. It will be interesting to hear what the dealer says about fixing your steering wheel crack. And it should not matter if the crack is in a wood, plastic, or metal part - the part is still cracked. It is not normal wear and tear for a car part to crack when it is under warranty. Remember there is a reason Lexus don't CPO cars high mile cars or cars that are more than 7 years old - because things do crack from age and fatigue on an older car. But on a car new enough for Lexus to CPO, that means it should not have parts crack regardless of the material while under warranty. My guess is that they will fix it - unless they can prove you neglected or damaged it somehow or the warranty fine print actually excludes things like trim, wood parts, etc.
Old 04-01-11, 09:53 PM
scottgolf
Pole Position

i will let you guys know what happens. It will be a while though, because I am going to wait until my next oil change to bring it up. I have a lot on my plate this month. Thank you guys for the input. I have only had the car for a couple of weeks.
Old 04-02-11, 07:05 AM
Kansas
Lead Lap

Received 254 Likes on 201 Posts

I used to think these steering wheel wood cracks were from abuse but I've changed my mind. When I bought my 2000 LS400 in 2003 after it came off somebody else's 3-year lease, its wood steering wheel was perfect. Not long after that a coworker bought a 1998 LS400 that was manufactured almost three years before my 2000. His wood wheel had some cracks and I assumed they were from abuse.

Sure enough, about five years ago I noticed that my formerly perfect wood wheel was also developing cracks. Today there are many cracks in the clear coat finish and maybe some in the wood itself. I've never hit or abused the steering wheel. My car is garaged when I'm not working. When parking outside, I use a windshield sun shield 99% of the time - summer or winter. The side windows have UV tint on top of the already UV resistant glass.

Cracks in the clear coat and wood seem to be just the nature of the beast.
Old 04-02-11, 07:51 PM
brio_ls
Rookie

I would go with an aftermarket one, even that the price is $550 w/o shipping. http://www.kspec.jp/silkblaze/catalo...celsior30.html

Old 04-02-11, 08:57 PM
Bocatrip
Lead Lap

Received 274 Likes on 231 Posts

Originally Posted by Kansas
I used to think these steering wheel wood cracks were from abuse but I've changed my mind. When I bought my 2000 LS400 in 2003 after it came off somebody else's 3-year lease, its wood steering wheel was perfect. Not long after that a coworker bought a 1998 LS400 that was manufactured almost three years before my 2000. His wood wheel had some cracks and I assumed they were from abuse.

Sure enough, about five years ago I noticed that my formerly perfect wood wheel was also developing cracks. Today there are many cracks in the clear coat finish and maybe some in the wood itself. I've never hit or abused the steering wheel. My car is garaged when I'm not working. When parking outside, I use a windshield sun shield 99% of the time - summer or winter. The side windows have UV tint on top of the already UV resistant glass.

Cracks in the clear coat and wood seem to be just the nature of the beast.
If your car is in the sun it will develop cracks regardless. My car has developed cracks on the top part of the steering wheel (where the sun beats down the most) while the bottom steering wheel wood is perfect. All the rest of the wood inside is perfect because the side windows don't have quite the same effect on the interior as the front and rear windshield. The next time you get a very hot day, place your hand on the side windows and then on the rear (carefully) and front. It's amazing how much heat gets through the front and rear!!!!! Unless the car is garaged regularly with not much extensive driving it's unavoidable down south. I've noticed many early LS430s with the same problem.
Old 04-03-11, 09:16 AM
jayclapp
Lexus Champion

Received 105 Likes on 85 Posts

Originally Posted by scottgolf
Hi, I have bought the extended warranty in my 2005 cpo ls 430 it has 40k miles. The steering wheel has a big crack in it. I can feel the split with my hands on the wheel. It is a big split, not just cosmetic, but you can really feel it. Should I just live with it, or should I say something when I take it in for service.
Read you extended warranty. It should specify what is and is not covered. Then you know what you can expect to be covered. Lexus has different levels of extended warranty for their CPOs.

I would think your wheel should be replaced if it's covered by the warranty.
Old 04-03-11, 01:47 PM
jimbosr1
Racer

Received 162 Likes on 125 Posts

i have always put car wax on my wood steering wheels and wood accents.dont know if that helps or not.
Old 04-03-11, 10:36 PM
svlexus
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I rub oil into the wood, today it was garlic butter from some popeyes shrimp. Usually I use Italian beef but it may be hard to source outside the Chicago area.

Quick Reply: steering wheel crack is it under warranty?