LS - 3rd Gen (2001-2006) Discussion topics related to the flagship Lexus LS430

why is the ls430 often made into a pimp machine and the s-class and 7 series never?

Search this Thread

Old 04-05-11, 06:51 AM
thinkin
Pole Position

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I don't mean to pile on as I'm sure Scott's asking a legitimate question to him, but I see about equal amounts pimped out BMW/Merc/Lexus of this size.
Old 04-05-11, 07:52 AM
scottgolf
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

how do i delete this thread. I was drinking and i didn't say this right, and I feel bad that i offended people. I got my answer. I was just wondering why they chose this platform over others.

Moderators, please delete this thread if you know how.
Old 04-05-11, 08:05 AM
JLAWS
Racer

Received 214 Likes on 163 Posts

I used to do the big wheels, tint and loud sound system back in my day. When I hit 30 and focused on my house purchase, those things become less signifigant. I can't justify paying $1000's of dollars for rims anymore. Bass from loud music now gives me a headache and it seems real obnoxious when I see someone driving by blasting music. I have a JL audio 1000watt amp and box with 2 12" sitting in my closet collecting dust.

Now I'm on the "Grown look", which is only stock upgrades. For example, If I got a base Merc S550, I'd put AMG 19's on it and other AMG pieces. If I got the LS460 I'd put the 19" sport wheels on it for the summer. My toy would be a Porsche, Vette or SL benz etc in the garage driven on nice days only.

Now that's big pimpin
Old 04-05-11, 08:26 AM
caddyowner
Lead Lap

Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by scottgolf
... I was drinking and i didn't say this right, and I feel bad that i offended people. ...
Don't feel bad. When I read some of my own posts after NOT drinking I wonder about my level of literacy.
Old 04-05-11, 09:22 AM
sojah
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

don't feel bad about this post thread at all, we have all been there.. some of us {points finger at self** have just done it more than others.

i really hope i never hit the grownup age of being too scared to mod my car. i am sure i will hit an age and level of maturity where my tastes will change but the modding will never stop.

i talked to a 60 year old man in japan a few years back who had one of the cleanest classiest vip toyota crowns (majesta) i had ever seen and he was getting over 5k of stereo mods put in,, we chatted it up for a while and he let me hear his system when it was finished and it was one of the best i had ever heard in a non competition car even if we were actually sitting there listening to CLASSICAL music!!!

he had 19's and it was lowered about an inch but he had a lot of rubber on his tires.. so to me he just adapted to his needs and changing tastes over the years and told me that every car his rubber on his tires get bigger and his car doesn't get lowered as much. i wish i had a pic of his car cuz although not super aggressive i would argue with anyone that said his car was not VIP...

Last edited by sojah; 04-05-11 at 09:26 AM.
Old 04-05-11, 11:37 AM
EN_VY
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by scottgolf
how do i delete this thread. I was drinking and i didn't say this right, and I feel bad that i offended people. I got my answer. I was just wondering why they chose this platform over others.

Moderators, please delete this thread if you know how.
Dont feel bad, we all have different taste. The ls is targeted at a more mature audience. I wish I saw some nicely moddes LS here.
Ive know engineers in their 40s mod cars.
Old 04-05-11, 11:39 AM
Jabberwock

Received 205 Likes on 168 Posts

Yep - I agree don't feel bad...it generated some interesting posts. A little lively debate or disagreements on perspective isn't gonna hurt anything. Hopefully there is room here for folks to express differing views as longs as it doesn't get specifically personal. It is an anonymous internet board....so no one should get their knickers in a twist because their knickers don't actually exist in cyberspace.
Old 04-05-11, 11:44 AM
caddyowner
Lead Lap

Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by Jabberwock
... no one should get their knickers in a twist because their knickers don't actually exist in cyberspace.
Wow man, that's deep. It sounds like something Woody Allen would have said in "Sleeper".
Old 04-05-11, 12:32 PM
ty1
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I grew up on the streets, and knew a few pimps, they are shrude, but thrifty people, they do not want to spend piles of $ on keeping a car on the road, diveable, with constant costly repairs, so their obvious choice is the low maintenance LS430, I have owned a 750IL cost me 7-10K$/year just to keep it on the road, yet any given time 20 things still broken on it. On my stock un-moded silver 03 LS430 finally something broke, the driver door actuator, a $5 motor and an hour of my time fixed it.
Old 04-05-11, 12:58 PM
thinkin
Pole Position

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

If I VIP my ride can I dress like this?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OQKKgNC5EpM

And enter exciting contests?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5cH-yoY1zEU
Old 04-05-11, 01:32 PM
Jabberwock

Received 205 Likes on 168 Posts

Originally Posted by thinkin
If I VIP my ride can I dress like this?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OQKKgNC5EpM

And enter exciting contests?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5cH-yoY1zEU

Maybe we should have a forum get together somewhere centrally located so that we can have a pimp day car ride - kidding , just kidding ... : )
Old 04-05-11, 01:51 PM
Ice350
Lexus Fanatic

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by sojah
without getting long winded i have 2 explanations.

first, i also believe its cuz your in Iowa. i'm sure there is a major city or two (actually i'm really not sure at all, just trying to be open minded ... if you go to where people get paid more you will see more money flaunted (wasted to some) on material things such as rims and car mods. Iowa may not be one of these locations where young people make 100 to 200k a year.

second, jdm (japan) is where a lot of these mods originated and where the styles were created so it is only fitting that there are a lot more styles and choices of mods (parts) for japanese cars. in japan there are a hell of a lot more modded out euro cars and parts/styles for modding euro cars then you will ever see in most stateside locations.

i had never seen so many modded cars of different varieties until i spent a little time in osaka japan. i guess cali, nyc, and miami would be some of the easier places in the states to see cars of this caliber.
I was agreeignwith everything until the point where there are more JDM tuners than Euro. Don't agree with that. There are more than I can name for Benz but here are a few: Carlsson, Lorinser, Brabus, Renntech, CEC, AMG, MEC Design and Vath. There are more for BMW than I can count.
How many for Lexus?

Last edited by Ice350; 04-05-11 at 01:56 PM.
Old 04-05-11, 02:53 PM
sojah
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Ice350
How many for Lexus?
i am not disputing how many there are, but i think you have not opened up a vip magazine lately

it may be in japanese but the company names are still in engrish the majority of the time.
Old 04-05-11, 04:13 PM
RA40
Super Moderator

Received 470 Likes on 362 Posts

To each their own, in car mod styles. I think these look pretty good. My alter car ego would love to do this. CA, Florida, TX and other coastal states have a variety of car tuning shops.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-o2xNNX3a3k

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CjLiAQpofIM
Old 04-05-11, 05:10 PM
TJW98LS
Lexus Champion

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

I'm pretty sure that I am the only person in KY who owns a modified LS430, but I see the GS, IS, and even the ES heavily modified all the time.

Quick Reply: why is the ls430 often made into a pimp machine and the s-class and 7 series never?