LS - 3rd Gen (2001-2006) Discussion topics related to the flagship Lexus LS430

why is the ls430 often made into a pimp machine and the s-class and 7 series never?

Search this Thread

Old 04-05-11, 05:22 PM
CarGuy89
Lexus Test Driver

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

These big cars deserve a nice, clean set of big rims to match the proportion. A slight drop with proper fitment and it looks great! I think you're thinking more of those ppl who find the biggest rims possible (30in??) and throw them on. That looks awful, without debate.

With that said, I love the clean look of the stock 430. Only thing I would like to change is replace my 17s with oem 18s.
Old 04-05-11, 05:46 PM
sojah
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Ice350
I was agreeignwith everything until the point where there are more JDM tuners than Euro. Don't agree with that. There are more than I can name for Benz but here are a few: Carlsson, Lorinser, Brabus, Renntech, CEC, AMG, MEC Design and Vath. There are more for BMW than I can count.
How many for Lexus?

Now that I re read ur response to my response I think u misread my post. I never said there were more tuners. I do think there are more choices and options for parts (show or performance) in japan than there are here. I think this is pretty obvious and doesn't really need more justification.

In japan ever block or every couple blocks in major cities has car part stores and car modding shops, since they are japan I think this is why like 70% of the parts are for jdm cars. But like ra40 posted up there is not a shortage of euor modded cars there either. We r the only ones that are a little behind on out car game.
Old 04-05-11, 07:14 PM
Decius44
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

No comment...
Old 04-05-11, 07:19 PM
RXGS
Lexus Test Driver

Received 210 Likes on 171 Posts

I know what you mean, but it depends on where you live. Where i am s class's are either stock, or turned into drug dealer cars. 7 series are stock or turne into a car that looks like it should be a DUB showcar, and the ls's are a combination of both. It doesn't matter what year or generation, these rules apply to all years in my area. I will say this, i do respect the "JDM Look" but at the same time, my belief is that simplicity is beauty
Old 04-05-11, 07:44 PM
RA40
Super Moderator

Received 470 Likes on 362 Posts

Car culture for the region also has an impact on tuners and their availability. Very similar to various fashion styles for any region, the location will be part of what-how people are doing. Take Hawaii in "winter": flip flops, board shorts, T-shirts...one can use that style anywhere though it might be a bit different so be seen in winter anywhere else.

For some funny reason, this video came to mind:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=itfstFb8q1o
Old 04-05-11, 07:51 PM
Ice350
Lexus Fanatic

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by sojah
Now that I re read ur response to my response I think u misread my post. I never said there were more tuners. I do think there are more choices and options for parts (show or performance) in japan than there are here. I think this is pretty obvious and doesn't really need more justification.

In japan ever block or every couple blocks in major cities has car part stores and car modding shops, since they are japan I think this is why like 70% of the parts are for jdm cars. But like ra40 posted up there is not a shortage of euor modded cars there either. We r the only ones that are a little behind on out car game.
Since I've never been to Japan, I'll take your word for it. OK, there are parts everywhere. My point is Benz and Bimmers have much better support from tuners so when you see an s-class or 7 series, they look well put together cause they have full support. We, on the other hand, have to get stuff from different places and try to put it all together. Some people do it well and some people's cars look like a pile of junk.
A company like Hamann has kit, panels, spoilers, wheels, suspension and engine parts for an outcome that flows.

Last edited by Ice350; 04-06-11 at 06:25 AM.
Old 04-05-11, 08:11 PM
Dutchie101
Driver

Like some of the posters above have said exactly... and you dont have to go to Japan to work these things out, its called "research".
Umm... have you guys ever picked up a UCF30/31 master catalog from Japan? (or a japanese bookshop/online) or one of the 5-7 magazines that only show parts for the UCF30/31?? Sometimes i think some you guys in the US think that the only parts available are from the US.....

There are countless studios that have plenty of parts for the LS series. TOM'S, Blitz, any of the growing VIP parlors, man its endless.
- and no, you dont have to be able to read japanese to understand the mags.

Euro top end cars have an afinity for speed and racing mods, as the autobahns allow such speeds and the countless rounds and forms of Euro track racing. They are also built and aimed as luxury "sports" cars. Not luxury cruisers.

Last edited by Dutchie101; 04-05-11 at 08:14 PM.
Old 04-06-11, 05:20 AM
Jabberwock

Received 205 Likes on 168 Posts

Thanks for the info on the UCF30/31 publications. I am in the US and sometimes forget that this forum is international and that the Celsior/LS430 was sold in many countries.

It is interesting that lots of folks (including myself sometimes) forget that the forums are international. Readers and contributors can be from anywhere on the planet. The internet is still relatively new so at least for me it is a little hard to fully get my head around the fact that this board can be read all over the planet. Another reason to be careful what you write - its forever and its international : )
Old 04-06-11, 05:33 AM
sojah
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by Dutchie101
Like some of the posters above have said exactly... and you dont have to go to Japan to work these things out, its called "research".
Umm... have you guys ever picked up a UCF30/31 master catalog from Japan? (or a japanese bookshop/online) or one of the 5-7 magazines that only show parts for the UCF30/31?? Sometimes i think some you guys in the US think that the only parts available are from the US.....

There are countless studios that have plenty of parts for the LS series. TOM'S, Blitz, any of the growing VIP parlors, man its endless.
- and no, you dont have to be able to read japanese to understand the mags.

Euro top end cars have an afinity for speed and racing mods, as the autobahns allow such speeds and the countless rounds and forms of Euro track racing. They are also built and aimed as luxury "sports" cars. Not luxury cruisers.

hey dutchie i have all 3 of those mags sitting on my shelf at home at this very moment. i know what is inside those mags but i agree that a lot of people on here have no clue. i have given out upwards of 8 or so of those mags to friends, various shops, and even a couple lexus dealerships here in the states for free (they prolly wouldn't have given me a $1 for them anyways since they have no clue what is inside them),, my hope is to spread the word and get more publicity for this following... i dream in vip
Old 04-06-11, 05:35 AM
Dutchie101
Driver

Jabberwock:
Its all good man, I have a JDM background here in OZ. Luckily i know a few bits about Japan and the Jap car scenes, been there on car shopping/gathering expedition and toured a few major players workshops in the scene.

I only know of maybe 5 or 10 LS430's in the whole of SA, and i can honestly say, ive probably got the most modded LS here that i know of. I source all my parts from Japan almost.

Sojah:
Me too man, its s tiny scene here, and cost for most are prohibitive. Ie i payed AU40,000 for my 2002 LS stock as a rock. It only had 60,000km on it tho, ones with 120-200,000km go for about AU20-25k.. When you mod on top of that, well, it adds up pretty quick. But thats what VIP is all about!

I too dream in VIP!

Last edited by Dutchie101; 04-06-11 at 05:38 AM.
Old 04-06-11, 05:39 AM
sojah
Lead Lap

thanks foe the awesome vids RA40.. those celsiors are awesome.

BTW my next vip car will be either an s600 or an s65 (08+) if i play my cards right.
Old 04-06-11, 05:42 AM
caddyowner
Lead Lap

Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by ty1
... I have owned a 750IL cost me 7-10K$/year just to keep it on the road, yet any given time 20 things still broken on it. On my stock un-moded silver 03 LS430 finally something broke, the driver door actuator, a $5 motor and an hour of my time fixed it.
On one of the dog walking routes I take through our neighborhood, there's a guy that has an older Nissan Maxima that has been going to seed over the last couple years: HUGE oil stain under the car, wood chocks behind the wheels to hold the car in the sloped driveway, rear opera window taped over, etc. Now I see that he has a last generation BMW 7-series parked on the cul de sac behind his house (a level spot where her parks his cars to work on them). It ought to be interesting to see how this car fares given the neglect he's shown to the Nissan.
Old 04-06-11, 07:43 AM
Stu
Racer

Received 58 Likes on 44 Posts

OP, the answer to your question is simply that even a drug dealer
can't be bothered, nor can they afford to keep that German crap
running.
Old 04-10-11, 03:18 PM
dubsta1
Driver

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

because they're cheaper to maintain...love those toyota products
Old 04-10-11, 03:21 PM
dubsta1
Driver

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

because they're cheaper to maintain.

Quick Reply: why is the ls430 often made into a pimp machine and the s-class and 7 series never?