LS - 3rd Gen (2001-2006) Discussion topics related to the flagship Lexus LS430

Who makes Toyota Timing Belt change components?

Search this Thread

Old 05-02-11, 03:46 PM
Viper6
Pole Position

Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts
Default Who makes Toyota Timing Belt change components?

Who makes belts, water pump, tensioner and pulleys for Toyota/Lexus? Is it Aisin? Has anyone change the factory parts themselves seen the manufacturer on the parts? Thanks!
Old 05-02-11, 04:34 PM
Bon
Advanced

Received 26 Likes on 20 Posts

The replacement belt is marked "Made in the USA" along with the Toyota part number. The water pump casting and box doesn't have any manufacturer identification. The idler bearings are marked "Koyo" with nothing else on the boxes. These parts came from Sewell.
Old 05-04-11, 11:59 AM
damon
Racer

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

Different parts made by multiple manufacturers. Denso is bound to be in the group somewhere.
Old 05-04-11, 03:19 PM
Viper6
Pole Position

Default OEM Vs. Aftermarket Parts

If that is the case, why buy OEM instead of a know OEM supplier aftermarket... at half the cost... that is what I am struggling with.

- Aisin makes a kit with the following for $207

AISIN kit includes the following components:
AISIN Water Pump
Koyo Idler Bearing
Koyo Tensioner Bearing
Mitsuboshi Timing Belt
Water Pump Gaskets & O-Rings

- Gates makes a kit with the above and the Hydraulic Tensioner for even less ($167)

Equivalent OEM kit from Sewell with Tensioner (and gallon of Coolant) is $390.

So OEM is double the Gates Kit and probably $100 more than the Aisin kit after buying a tensioner seperately.

I'm leaning toward OEM parts, despite the extra cost as I am saving like $1,500 by doing it myself... just thought I'd ask y'all's opinion.
Old 05-04-11, 03:44 PM
Bon
Advanced

I don't know if for instance, Koyo or Mitsubishi, would make varying quality replacement parts to meet a price point for a specific customer specification such as for Gates. I just don't know. But I do know that Briggs and Stratton makes a bunch of identical horsepower engines that will all fit the same lawn mower but the engines are built with vastly different quality components to meet a brands price point.

In any case, I always recommend including the upper and lower radiator hoses and thermostat with gaskets in your parts list.
Old 05-04-11, 03:47 PM
AznRacer
Instructor

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

koyo make the bearings and mitsubishi make the timing belt
Old 05-04-11, 05:31 PM
vollandt
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I went with the ASIN kit as you listed. My tensioner was in spec, so I didn't need to change. I went with OEM coolant though.
Old 05-04-11, 10:55 PM
ancdmd
Lexus Test Driver

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

According to my research AISIN is owned by Toyota and manufactures the water pump. Koyo makes the bearings and Mitsuboshi makes the belt. I bought the eBay kit for $189 shipped recently.
Old 05-05-11, 01:26 AM
damon
Racer

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

You can indeed pay quite a premium for parts once assembled into a vehicle in Toyota City to get repackaged into a Lexus box to make you feel comfortable.

In truth parts are sourced from a global supply. An A-340 tranny in a older Lexus 400 is also in a Volvo for example. The ZF 26 in my 545 BMW is in a Maserati , a Range Rover, Bentley and the newest hi-po Mustang.

3 perhaps 4 companies make AC Compressors.
Old 05-05-11, 07:08 AM
Viper6
Pole Position

Originally Posted by Bon
I don't know if for instance, Koyo or Mitsubishi, would make varying quality replacement parts to meet a price point for a specific customer specification such as for Gates. I just don't know. But I do know that Briggs and Stratton makes a bunch of identical horsepower engines that will all fit the same lawn mower but the engines are built with vastly different quality components to meet a brands price point.

In any case, I always recommend including the upper and lower radiator hoses and thermostat with gaskets in your parts list.
Good suggestion Bon. Can you get to these parts easily if you were not doing the timing belt? I am most interested in replacing anything where access is limited unless you're in there for the timing belt change... otherwise I'll save my cash if/when those go bad and replace them at that time.

I'm sure it costs manufacturers money to spec parts differently as well... not just the content of a part (they to test the part in all configurations they plan to sell as OEM replacements I assume, and that costs money). I think it is unlikely the bearings from the same manufacturer have any variances between components when they both meet or exceed OEM specs... just my $.02. Then again, the price difference in this case is not more than $200 so I may hedge it and just pull the trigger on the Sewell parts for piece of mind and to support a CL vendor... good will all around.
Old 05-05-11, 10:45 AM
Bocatrip
Lead Lap

Received 285 Likes on 239 Posts

My car has a gates sticker for the timing belt. I know Gates make the OEM belt for Mitsibishi. I guess the quality should be similar if not the same as the OEM belt from Lexus.
Old 05-05-11, 12:54 PM
dejavu157
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Is this a deal for 322? it comes with more stuff then the other kits for 189.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Lexus...Q5fAccessories
Old 05-05-11, 12:57 PM
Bon
Advanced

Originally Posted by Viper6
Good suggestion Bon. Can you get to these parts easily if you were not doing the timing belt? I am most interested in replacing anything where access is limited unless you're in there for the timing belt change... otherwise I'll save my cash if/when those go bad and replace them at that time.

I'm sure it costs manufacturers money to spec parts differently as well... not just the content of a part (they to test the part in all configurations they plan to sell as OEM replacements I assume, and that costs money). I think it is unlikely the bearings from the same manufacturer have any variances between components when they both meet or exceed OEM specs... just my $.02. Then again, the price difference in this case is not more than $200 so I may hedge it and just pull the trigger on the Sewell parts for piece of mind and to support a CL vendor... good will all around.
You might consider the cam and crankshaft seals while you do the timing belt as they are buried behind the timing belt. Sewell offers them as an extended kit with the timing belt items. The radiator hoses and thermostat aren't so buried but you'll have to take them off to get the timing belt job done and I just can't see putting them back on when they have so many years and miles on them. Just peace of mind I guess.
Old 05-05-11, 01:32 PM
Viper6
Pole Position

Originally Posted by dejavu157
Is this a deal for 322? it comes with more stuff then the other kits for 189.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Lexus...Q5fAccessories
Seems like it may be... has all that the Sewell kit does except gallon of radiator fluid, but additionally includes a Serpentine belt, thermostat and seal as well... all for less money and no shipping! Sounds like a good choice