LS - 3rd Gen (2001-2006) Discussion topics related to the flagship Lexus LS430

Gap between flagship and entry is widening

Search this Thread

Old 05-06-11, 06:26 PM
sojah
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I know I can't afford an 80k car, so at 40k I have the choice of a new IS or a used LS, and I pick the LS. I still don't know who can justify a 40k ES but that's just me...

And great point about the new models...
Old 05-07-11, 07:34 AM
Decius44
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

It's the sign of the times. I'm not into business, but it doesn't take a genius to know they're trying to stay competitive. Unfortunately they are the builders and we are the buyers. We're stuck with what they come up with no matter how much we may like or frown on what they create.
Old 05-07-11, 09:15 AM
caddyowner
Lead Lap

Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by Decius44
... Unfortunately they are the builders and we are the buyers. We're stuck with what they come up with no matter how much we may like or frown on what they create.
This is the attitude that nearly sunk the American car companies. We, as buyers, have the ultimate word in what sells and what doesn't. There are plenty of automotive choices and most folks aren't stuck on a single brand.
Old 05-07-11, 09:35 AM
Decius44
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by caddyowner
This is the attitude that nearly sunk the American car companies. We, as buyers, have the ultimate word in what sells and what doesn't. There are plenty of automotive choices and most folks aren't stuck on a single brand.
Absolutely! As car companies get so high on themselves they think they can come out with just about any product and consumers will buy it. Is this the case with Lexus or are they just spreading their wings? Who really knows, but as a loyal Lexus customer I will support their new products even if I don't agree with them.
Old 05-07-11, 10:10 AM
sojah
Lead Lap

i seriously don't understand how you all can think of lexus as cheapening its image. used to be there were like 3 choices, a cheap entry car, the middle of the road car, or the LS. now the LS600hL and even the awd LS460L can reach 100k - 120+k. lexus is just now filling in those gaps and adding a more expensive and a less expensive version to the spectrum at the same time.

it just rubs me the wrong way (obviously) to hear of the brand image as cheapening,, how about we say they are diversifying...

I could say lexus is making their company more prestigious at the same time by having the LS600hL flagship.

well now that i'm sober and went back and re-read the original post it doesn't seem like anyone wrote that the lex image was cheapening,, i could have swore thats what i read yesterday evening during my 5th rum and coke but whatever... i do think that lex is diversifying though... and i think we all know why they lost sales last year and why almost everyone else got more sale (those who were going to buy a new lex/toyota had to buy something ) i just hope the dems can focus on something else for the next few months instead of how to screw over toyota,, again...

Last edited by sojah; 05-07-11 at 10:17 AM.
Old 05-07-11, 10:23 AM
mewhee
Pole Position

Originally Posted by sojah
i seriously don't understand how you all can think of lexus as cheapening its image. used to be there were like 3 choices, a cheap entry car, the middle of the road car, or the LS. now the LS600hL and even the awd LS460L can reach 100k - 120+k. lexus is just now filling in those gaps and adding a more expensive and a less expensive version to the spectrum at the same time.

it just rubs me the wrong way (obviously) to hear of the brand image as cheapening,, how about we say they are diversifying...

I could say lexus is making their company more prestigious at the same time by having the LS600hL flagship.
Frankly, Lexus has virtually NO CHOICE but to offer the mid range and lower models in order to survive as a brand both financially and competitively.

A quick perusal of Lexus's sales figures (YTD) at:
http://lexusenthusiast.com/2011/05/0...-sales-report/
shows just how much these lower priced catagories bring to the table (volume wise), and as any bean counter thru ivory tower executive will tell you, volume cures many ills, even w/o the higher profit margin built into the LS models.

Last edited by mewhee; 05-07-11 at 10:40 AM.
Old 05-07-11, 10:44 AM
CarGuy89
Lexus Test Driver

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

I have absolutely no problem with them expanding their range. In fact, I fully support it b/c it's necessary to compete with other brands. I just wished they had more distinctive styling on the recent stuff.
Old 05-07-11, 11:40 AM
sojah
Lead Lap

mewhee thanks for that link with all the figures, i think the runaway fiasco is directly responsible for the decrease, but heavy is the head that wears the crown (toyota/lex)...
Old 05-07-11, 12:06 PM
mewhee
Pole Position

Originally Posted by sojah
mewhee thanks for that link with all the figures, i think the runaway fiasco is directly responsible for the decrease, but heavy is the head that wears the crown (toyota/lex)...
Hi Sojah -

It was startling to see the actual sales figures (units: YTD) whereby the IS outsells the LS over 3 to 1 and the ES outsells the LS almost 4 to 1.

Even recognizing the price differences, the LS comprises less than 5% of sales (in units) under the Lexus brand , thus the obvious need for 'diversity' as you put it, justifying the necessity of more affordable models under the Lexus name.