LS - 3rd Gen (2001-2006) Discussion topics related to the flagship Lexus LS430

2004 430 quality problems

Search this Thread

Old 05-08-11, 06:40 PM
waynedog
Pit Crew

Received 31 Likes on 14 Posts
Default 2004 430 quality problems

I have owned a 2004 430 for about 3 years now (2nd owner). Overall, it is the best car I have owned. However, there are several chronic problems that surprise me for a $60k car:
* throttle response lag at low speeds as has been discussed in several other posts. This delay when accelerating at low speeds is dangerous and frustrating - hard to believe it is designed that way. Dealer says it is "normal"
* my wood steering wheel has many, many hairline cracks. I routinely buff with steel wool and coat with tung oil but cracks come back after a while. Dealer says he can replace the steering wheel for $2,000.
* at highway speed, when I take my foot off the gas pedal, I hear a very high pitch "whine". Goes away as soon as I hit the gas again. Very annoying.
* Window "creak" when going around corners. Coat weatherseal with silicone which helps for a while before it comes back.
* several other small things
I have owned many Toyotas and Hondas which had no problems like this for 100,000 - 200,000 miles.

I am tempted to get a different car but not sure what would be better. I am wrong to question these kind of problems in a $60k car?
Old 05-08-11, 08:15 PM
mewhee
Pole Position

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Hi Wayne -

You've got some legitimate gripes of which I'm familiar only with the throttle response as in our '02, it's noticeable but more a minor irritant than a problem. It's not there in my better half's '06.

The whine and window creak are probably more noticeable to you in that the car is virtually soundproof from the inside so any abnormality will magnify itself. Keep in mind you own a seven year old car and stuff plain and simply wears out, no matter how much in the way of quality materials and workmanship went into the original build.

Every time we rent a car (not compact but midsize and up thru luxury) we're reminded of just how much we miss our two 430's sitting at home due to the inferior workmanship in cars built today, some with less than 2,000 miles on them.

It's up to you to decide what you can and cannot live with. Hopefully the positives outweigh the negatives.
Old 05-08-11, 08:35 PM
CarGuy89
Lexus Test Driver

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

I resolved my window creak by using petrolium jelly (aka vasoline I think). Apply this to the inner door rubber that contacts the metal frame. The cabin is very quiet and free of any squeaks/rattles now. Many people have complained about throttle lag, but I haven't experienced this. It is believed that disconnecting your battery should reset the computer and eliminate the lag. I do notice a small chip in the back of my steering wheel (and my leather part of the wheel is very worn after just 30k mi...got it CPO'ed at 25k mi). I don't really notice any whining, maybe you're just hearing the A/C (though that's hardly noticeable)?

My only real gripe so far is that my fuel filler is a bit odd. When I've driven the car for a while, I can't fully squeeze the gas nozzle otherwise it will click prematurely. I've heard before that the hot gas fumes cause the click, but it doesn't happen to my parents' cars. It sucked today when I filled up at empty and and to gently squeeze the nozzle for 18+ gals of fuel lol.

Overall though, this is the best car I've had by a distance as great as that of our galaxy.
Old 05-08-11, 08:44 PM
CarGuy89
Lexus Test Driver

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by waynedog
...I am tempted to get a different car but not sure what would be better. I am wrong to question these kind of problems in a $60k car?
The LS430 is the most reliable and troublefree out of the flagship sedans from this era. I've driven an S500 4 matic and loved it, but the cost of ownership will likely be a lot higher. The E65 750, Jag XJ8/R, Audi A8, VW Phaeton and Infiniti Q45 are all nice cars to look at. The Infiniti might be pretty reliable, but the others (esp the Audi and VW) seem to be quite a headache to own.

If you step outside of this class of car, you could also consider the Acura RL/TL, Infiniti M35, BMW E60 5 series, Mercedes E-class, Audi A6...etc. All very solid cars, Acura probably will be most reliable since it's got Honda engineering. You might also want to look at a Lexus GS. I honestly don't know of too many cars better than the 430, save the Bentley/Rolls level.
Old 05-09-11, 07:25 AM
waynedog
Pit Crew

Received 31 Likes on 14 Posts
Default 2004 430 quality problems

Thanks everyone for your comments.

* I have tried disconnecting the battery which seems to help a little but soon thereafter the throttle lag is back. On my car it is not subtle - when in first gear and then giving it gas, there is a 1 second of so delay and then the car surges forward. This is dangerous when turning in front of traffic. Dealer says it is "normal". This problem is bad enough that it is pushing me to think about getting another car.
* I have the same problem filling up my gas tank - the pump cuts off continuously and I have to pump slowly manually or reposition the nozzle.
Old 05-09-11, 07:54 AM
Jabberwock

Received 205 Likes on 168 Posts

No detectable throttle lag at all in mine.
Old 05-09-11, 08:41 AM
T8LEX
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

maybe try buying a throttle controller
Old 05-09-11, 08:54 AM
Marklouis
Lexus Champion

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

I hear the Whinning when taking long trips with all windows up and the radio off. it seems to be related to the electronic throttle for sure. its very high pitched so not everyone will be able to detect it.
Old 05-09-11, 09:04 AM
ayonnebay
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Gas filler pipe problem is a known issue. TSB was issued that replaced the pipe if owner complained. I believe that program has ended, however

Walt
Old 05-09-11, 09:04 AM
votru
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm with you on the steering wheel hairline cracks in which annoy me sometimes and surprise also since seeing older ES or RX still very smooth. Another alternative to delaer is JDM one that more sporty looking.
Old 05-09-11, 09:58 AM
DDLexus
Racer

Received 25 Likes on 20 Posts

Technical Service Bulletin Titles for 2004 Lexus LS 430 V8-4.3L (3UZ-FE)
JULY 2004 Recall - Automatic Transmission Replacement
JULY 2004 Recall - Fuel Pump Replacement

You'll have to visit Lexus or buy these TSBs to learn more... but you might be affected by the first.
Old 05-09-11, 10:17 AM
jayclapp
Lexus Champion

Received 105 Likes on 85 Posts

Originally Posted by waynedog
Thanks everyone for your comments.

* I have the same problem filling up my gas tank - the pump cuts off continuously and I have to pump slowly manually or reposition the nozzle.
Lexus had a fix for this that involved replacing the fill pipe, etc. Probably the original owner failed to have this done. I had mine done after buying it as a CPO. Fixed the problem.
Old 05-09-11, 11:44 AM
Marklouis
Lexus Champion

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

also, on the steering wheel cracks - Have you tried using color matching wood filler sticks? you can get them at any hardware stores - might not be a permanent solution, but will hide the cracks for a time. I have used them on wood furniture and turns out unnoticeable.
Old 05-09-11, 02:35 PM
Bocatrip
Lead Lap

Received 274 Likes on 231 Posts

I've heard about some issues with the acceleration on the 04 and later models which might be related to the upgraded transmission. No problems with acceleration on my 01 or any of the other issues other than the steering wheel cracks. My entire top section of the wheel has cracking on the clear going halfway around. I'm sure it's due to age and sun. I don't believe there are too many options of another luxo car of this vintage without more issues. The M35 is a great reliable car but it is not as quiet or soft riding as it it a sporty luxury car. It's always a matter of sacrafice as no car will be perfect. Historically, the LS430 and GS300 have been the most proven cars in reliabilty built by Lexus to date. I would try to iron out your issues before throwing in the towel. The surging seems to be the biggest one I'd work on. Good Luck!
Old 05-09-11, 06:58 PM
AlexusAnja
Lead Lap

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

There was a TSB to reflash the transmission shift points. It helped mine a lot, but keep in mind your mpg might drop by about 1 mpg as it's now adjusted to shift more aggressively. I'm sure the lag was to conserve fuel.

The other issues I don't have on my '04 at 67K now.

Quick Reply: 2004 430 quality problems