LS - 3rd Gen (2001-2006) Discussion topics related to the flagship Lexus LS430

should i replace the rear bumper myself?

Search this Thread

Old 05-09-11, 10:50 PM
danxp
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default should i replace the rear bumper myself?

my rear bumper has been needing some love for a long time now... got an estimate from a body shop and they said it would be about 1100 or so...

did a little research and found out i could get a brand new oem bumper from sewell for about $400 shipped... why can't i just prime it and paint it and put it on myself?

sure, i've never done anything like this before, but how hard could it be? if someone could just guide me through the bumper removal process that would be great...

yeah and the priming and painting and all the rear parking sensor stuff... in fact, could somebody just come over and do it all for me? j/k =)

i figure i would approach this project as follows:
- order rear bumper cover (w/sensor cutouts) from sewell.
- remove old bumper, leave sensors attached?
- remove chrome molding from old bumper
- prime new bumper - where to get this?
- paint new bumper oem black to match car - where to get this? do i also need clearcoat?
- install new bumper (and old sensors)
- install old chrome molding on new bumper

i know, i'm probably going to need supporting parts and the like, but shouldn't that be basically it?

if i could get some assistance, maybe it could be a diy-write up...

Last edited by danxp; 05-09-11 at 10:54 PM.
Old 05-09-11, 11:11 PM
CarGuy89
Lexus Test Driver

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

I don't have any paint experience at all, but it seems that the hardest part would be color matching it so you have a uniform shade of color from your rear quarter panels/trunk to your bumper. The actual installation shouldn't be too bad. Don't know if sensors are attached or not.
Old 05-09-11, 11:21 PM
Mr.Doback
Driver

best way IMO to do it is take the bumper to a body shop loose, have them paint it, then install yourself, you will save some money that way.

If you want to save more, since it is only a bumper, order a quart of your color from dealer and give to them, its even cheaper that way.
Old 05-10-11, 12:33 AM
dejavu157
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I got a ticket for painting my own bumper in cali =P. Your state might be easier, but in cali were limited to how much emissions or something we give out. Pretty simple task, just need a little tent to keep out dust . and make sure the light is even or u might think the color is off =P
Old 05-10-11, 07:58 AM
danxp
Driver

Originally Posted by dejavu157
I got a ticket for painting my own bumper in cali =P. Your state might be easier, but in cali were limited to how much emissions or something we give out. Pretty simple task, just need a little tent to keep out dust . and make sure the light is even or u might think the color is off =P
you got a ticket for painting your own bumper? did they catch you in the act? that's weird...

i would plan on painting it indoors in a garage...
Old 05-10-11, 08:00 AM
danxp
Driver

Originally Posted by CarGuy89
I don't have any paint experience at all, but it seems that the hardest part would be color matching it so you have a uniform shade of color from your rear quarter panels/trunk to your bumper. The actual installation shouldn't be too bad. Don't know if sensors are attached or not.
i'm going to try to see if i can order paint from the dealer... not even sure if they even sell it... we'll see, i guess...
Old 05-10-11, 08:42 AM
Jabberwock

Received 205 Likes on 168 Posts

You should be able to order paint from parts or form body shop - I suggest you take the bumper to a body shop and let them paint and clear coat it for you..
Old 05-10-11, 09:49 AM
GLIDESUL
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Take it to a body shop they'll paint it. It shouldn't be no more than 350.00 at least around these parts.
Old 05-10-11, 10:20 AM
HiloDB1
Lexus Test Driver

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

If youve never done anything like this before I would take the bumper to a body shop to get it painted. It will be worth the extra money to have a bumper thats painted properly then one that looks like s*** because you tried to do it yourself.
Old 05-10-11, 11:14 AM
danxp
Driver

hmmm... i'm beginning to think i should let the pros paint...
Old 05-10-11, 12:00 PM
caddyowner
Lead Lap

Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts

For a savings of $700 less the cost of paint, I'll let someone else do all the removal, prep, color matching, and reassembly - without ruining the paint job.
Old 05-10-11, 12:46 PM
offroad200
Instructor

Received 163 Likes on 121 Posts

Trust me. Pay a professional to do it. I use to work at body shop (parts not actual body repair). There is skill involved. There several steps involved. Plus, dealers don't sell paint like that. It's mixed at the body shop.
Old 05-10-11, 12:52 PM
AznRacer
Lexus Test Driver

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

please let the pro do it because if its your first time you'll end up spending more
Old 05-10-11, 01:12 PM
Turtlespd
Driver School Candidate

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts

Bumper $400
Paint/clear $200 w/hardner and reducers
Remove /install bumper and sensors $100
Refinish $100
Replace chrome trim $50
Misc materials 50

Off my head your looking at $800-900 is probably their break down. I'm sure their profit is a higher but you get the idea. Everything adds up fast.
Is it worth the trouble to save a few hundred? If u have the skill to Paint oem quality and the equipment then it may be worth it. I use to paint cars and I learned it's cheaper to pay someone. If u can care less about how your bumper looks u can buy the bumper 400
rattle can the finish with paint and clear for an additional 50 bucks, replace the chrome trim 50 total cost us only 600. Then it comes down to your rattle can skills. I painted many things with rattle can and very successful but painting with a can takes more practice and experience.
So in retrospect it's cheaper to DIY but one must have skills or good hand eye. I'm sure u can get a slightly better deal but remember there are many ways to cut corners on your car that u won't see but in the long run will be visible and may cost an additional refinish costing u even more! Do it right the first time.
Old 05-10-11, 02:04 PM
danxp
Driver

i guess nobody wanted to see the potential train wreck of a bumper i would have worked on... i was going to borrow my friend's compressor and spray gun and would have bought all the supplies and reused the current chrome trim... my only issue would have been getting the bumper off without damaging anything and getting the paint job to look respectable... my guesstimate would be that it'd cost me $600...

hearing all the warning signs and pitfalls, i think i'll just cough up the extra $500 or so and have a pro do the whole thing... good thing i put this out there or i really could have messed things up (or wasted several hundred for no reason)...

thanks for all the replies...

Quick Reply: should i replace the rear bumper myself?