LS - 3rd Gen (2001-2006) Discussion topics related to the flagship Lexus LS430

Anyone else having Rust

Search this Thread

Old 10-28-21, 01:03 PM
123go
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by randal
Living in a rust belt state (Indiana) I have to be very vigilant about rust. My '02 LS430 is spotless but I check it out, stem to stern, 2x each year looking for rust. I also run it through a carwash with underbody spray in the winter when it does get salted. The snow has no effect. Its that #$%# salt!

I know this will not sound very appealing to most, but if I find an area that is showing signs of rust or is very prone to rust, I grease it. Yep. Like inner wheel wells. I clean it up best I can then smear with a thin coat of axle grease. Brake lines, ditto. Messy? You bet. But I have not found anything that compares to the rust-fighting abilities. And I have tried all kinds of things from rustoleum paint, rust inhibiting paint, rust-resolver and plain old motor oil (oil comes close but does wash off).

I envy you guys in the salt-free states.
===================

I know its a very Old post here but wth?
Reminded me when I bought a mint 79 Pontiac T/A 10th many yrs ago and the first time I worked under to install a new clutch. OMG dude' I came out looking like an absolute pig. After looking closer we noticed the entire undercarriage was coated in oil. I later determined it was "oil bathed" at some point. Thats what many did long before Ziebart undercoated everything in sight, they just brushed on a heavy weight oil or grease, mainly on the chassis. Now' I strongly suggest you avoid the exhaust at all cost if you try it, also' beware I read oil drips off for days too so be careful where its parked..lol My T/A sure was a mess to work on but all that oil/grease must work very well because Im also a Hoosier so I also know all about rust my friend.
Held both my feet up on the peddles driving many cars with no floors. Once watched a girlfriend in my pass seat get hit by a massive title wave test driving an old Mustang. I hit a big O'puddle at about 50mph. I didn't know the car lot simply covered the big hole up with just the cars carpet..lmao. She was just soaked, looked like a big title wave inside that car I swear it did!! We married later so I never forgot that one you know?
But' I do know rust, my T/A never got a bubble one in all the yrs I owned it while everyone else I knew with a T/A or Formula Firebird suffered bad from rust issues, so yep' it worked.
I'm looking at a 2002 LS430 but its a Chicago car. Pics in/out and underneath it sure looks great but after reading up more it seems the LS cars do indeed rust out. Glad I came here to verify, guess I'll pass cause there are more of them out there in better locations. Real shame cause it sure looks mint.