LS - 3rd Gen (2001-2006) Discussion topics related to the flagship Lexus LS430

Lexus Dealer For Alignment?

Search this Thread

Old 05-20-11 | 09:47 AM
ejthomp
Pit Crew

Default Lexus Dealer For Alignment?

2004 LS430 UL with stock air suspension.... 61k miles

Just put on new tires (Michelin Primacy) and noticed uneven wear on old tires.

Car tracks perfectly straight and smooth. I've inspected the air shocks and don't notice any leakage. It rises and lowers with the dash button, though occasionally it does seem to look uneven.....driver's side rear is lower than others for example...but it seems to correct itself.

In looking at the car, the front is higher than I would like and I plan to adjust that down as far as the standard suspension will allow and then play with the rear to try and level it out more.

Once I am done with this, I want to take it in for an alignment.

QUESTION:

Is their any real advantage to taking this to a Lexus dealer for an alignment or can any competent shop do a good job on this vehicle?

I live in the Vancouver, WA / Portland, OR area. If someone knows of a good independent shop familiar with this vehicle, I am all ears.....
Old 05-21-11 | 06:19 AM
milesdf
Driver

Go to Les Schwab. Great work and guarantee.
Good luck!
Old 05-21-11 | 07:28 AM
JimsGX
Lexus Test Driver

I don't know if this applies to the LS, but in speaking to a mechanic at my Lexus dealer who's been there since they opened in 1990, he tweaks the vehicle alignment on different models within the manufacturers spec's. The only reason he knows to do this is because of his experience / familiarity with Lexus cars over the years. If you're lucky enough to get a seasoned mechanic at the Lexus dealer, you may end up with a better alignment than a local shop.

If the cost to have it done at the dealer isn't exorbitant compared to the local shop, I'd opt for the dealer...
Old 05-21-11 | 08:02 AM
Jabberwock

I'd definitely let the Lexus dealer do alignment - they have experience with the LS, you can ask the service mgr to put their best guy on it, cost differential is not that great. Don't even think about taking it to NTB or any other business like NTB - they may do a less expensive alignment but will also find 6 other things that are wrong with your car and need to be fixed immediately. They are nothing but carnys at best...
Old 05-21-11 | 07:04 PM
AlexusAnja
Lead Lap

Dealer is not always best. Last time I had a "pothole special" from dealer, which was alignment, balance, and rotation for $99, the alignment was done but not straight to the steering wheel. After driving away and going a few blocks down, noticed it immediately and brought back to have it corrected.

Just because it's a dealer, doesn't automatically mean you're getting it done correctly all the time.