LS - 3rd Gen (2001-2006) Discussion topics related to the flagship Lexus LS430

How do you like the ultra Luxury package?

Search this Thread

Old 06-08-11, 08:37 AM
jayclapp
Lexus Champion

Received 106 Likes on 85 Posts

I think people kind of get hung up on the rear fridge/cooler. I don't think they realize that it is merely a by product of the completely separate rear A/C, which is located behind the rear seat. They just vented some of that air into the cooler (it has a slide valve to open and close it). The rear A/C is really significant in cooling down the car in hot climates.

Another item rarely mentioned is the fact that the air suspension will drop the car an inch at cruise speeds. This reduces the drag coefficient and makes it one of lowest of cars, giving it more stability and increased gas mileage.

And don't forget the rear seat memory buttons on the rear doors.
Old 06-08-11, 09:00 AM
airtime
Racer

Received 13 Likes on 7 Posts

Get the UL if you can swing the little bit of extra cost. Lots of gadgets you may or may not use but its there. Way too many people are hung up on the possibility/eventuality of the air suspension failing. That's just one of many thing that can/maybe go wrong. If it does, either replace with coil-overs or used factory air from someone selling here. Done. Move on people.

Note, the double pain glass also has the built in water repellant (like rain-x) that a lot of people never mentions. (only on the front two windows and windshield).

Just the base model alone is the best hidden deal on used car out there. Its 85% of gadgets of the UL model. Fine the trim model you are comfortable with.
Old 06-08-11, 09:22 AM
CG lover
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

have totally enjoyed our Ultra,, have owned Benz and Beemers but this was the first car I have said many times over "it is such a pleasure to be in",,

if I could change one item it would be to move the massage units to the front seats,,

no interest for a new car as it would probably be a step down,,

Derry
Old 06-08-11, 09:38 AM
thinkin
Pole Position

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by airtime
Note, the double pain glass also has the built in water repellant (like rain-x) that a lot of people never mentions. (only on the front two windows and windshield).
Only the UL and CL double-paned glass has the water repellant? I thought they all had it! It's by far one of the coolest and most useful features of my 430.
Old 06-08-11, 10:33 AM
94LSon20
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I love mine. But I will say this, I cant enjoy all of the amenities like the reclining rear seats and the massager's (I could care less about the cooler), but its great to have when your driving people around. The downside...I just view this as one more thing to break in the car. As for the air suspension, the ride is one of the best out there but I'll always have that slight worry in mind of it going bad.

The Highs:
-the bottom of the driver seat slides out for more support
-twin glove boxes
-the interior quality
-the wiper/signal stalks (this might sound stupid, but the way they feel when you flip them compared to other vehicle is on another planet)
-paint quality (if properly taken care of)

Lows:
-stressing when the air ride will fail
-repair bills (but alot of fixes you can DIY)
-massive amounts of body lean in turns
-lack of power from a big engine
-i might get some ***** for this but I do not like the radar cruise control..you cant weave through traffic without it interfering

But in the end, I love my LS
and as you can see below, I've owned a few Lexus' in my day

Last edited by 94LSon20; 06-08-11 at 10:41 AM.
Old 06-08-11, 01:10 PM
LS430Lexus
Advanced

Received 78 Likes on 55 Posts

I really like my '02 Ultra. While I don't need alot of the back seat options (recline, massagers, etc), my family enjoys using them and sitting in the back seat. If they break, I may choose not to repair them. I can deal with changing over the air suspension (about 1200 to 1500 depending on who does the work).

The ride is spectacular. A relative has a '03 ML with similar mileage that I drive occasionally and the UL ride is smoother.

That said, I bought my car because it was the best combo of condition, maintenance history and integrity of the seller. It just happened to be a UL (the Millenium Silver/Ecru combination was also a factor).

My point is, don't get hung up on the option packages. Buy the car you like that fits your needs and budget.
Old 06-08-11, 04:17 PM
warminwisc
Lexus Champion

Received 31 Likes on 28 Posts

Lack of power?
If I remember in 04 it was the second fastest luxury sedan in it class against the VW, Benz, Audi, BMW and wasn't Jag the fastest. Most people who ride with me hold on when I put it to the floor.

I think the first or second in MPG's also.
Old 06-08-11, 05:34 PM
nicolachel
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks a lot everyone and I really appreciate the shared opinions, it seems to me that the difference is obviously there. Considering that and the fact that the price difference is not big and I could always change the suspension to coils if the worst happens, leaning seriously to the UL now.

I saw dejavu157 posted that he could get it shipped for 800,so I'm wondering how are you supposed to check it out? Do you have to pay even before get your hands on it(sounds scary)
Old 06-08-11, 05:34 PM
HiloDB1
Lexus Test Driver

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

I absolutely love my ultra. The only regret I have is I couldn't afford/wait for an 04-06 model. 140+k on the ticker and still runs fine and pretty much every feature still works.
Old 06-08-11, 06:16 PM
caddyowner
Lead Lap

Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by nicolachel
... I saw dejavu157 posted that he could get it shipped for 800,so I'm wondering how are you supposed to check it out? Do you have to pay even before get your hands on it(sounds scary)
I bought my CL from a BMW dealership in Bellevue, WA and had it shipped to Michigan. Steps I used:

- Daily searches of new autotrader & cars.com listings.

- Found likely car and posted request in this forum and the Pacific Northwest forum asking for someone to check out the car and take more pics.

- Airtime visited the dealership the next day and posted more than 50 pics.

- I called the dealership and put a $500 refundable deposit on credit card. (They didn't submit the charge, just held it.) I had them deliver the car to Airtime's independent Lexus mechanic who is just down the road. I also asked the dealer to price transport.

- Mechanic inspection was a bit over $100, also paid with credit card.

- After successful inspection by Airtime, mechanic, and review of pics, I negotiated price including shipping with the dealer. (They only came down about $500 from a fair price.)

- Dealer fedexed all paperwork to a local notary public who met me at a coffee shop. I signed and presented a check. She sent it back and once the check cleared, the dealer released the car to the transport company. Car arrived about a week later.

- Dealer sent me title (after a delay caused by a software problem at the Washington DMV - not dealer's fault).

- Car went to local Lexus dealer for 30K service and replace one of the steering wheel controls (not identified in inspection).

- Car went to local body shop to fix scrapes identified in previous pics and new dent in trunk lid that was not in any of the pics.

- Additional costs over $25.5K price of car were $900 transport, $150 doc fee, $100 inspection, $50 gift card for Airtime, $700 Lexus service, $3200 bodyshop charges, plus Michigan use tax. It came in under my budget.

Lessons learned:

- Only take delivery during daylight. That dent in the trunk probably happened after inspection at the dealership or in transit.

- The process takes a lot of involvement and time. I saw the car and called on it at the end of January, 2010. It took until almost the end of February to receive the car and title. The car was in the Lexus and body shops most of March and I didn't really start driving it until the beginning of April.
Old 06-08-11, 07:41 PM
jayclapp
Lexus Champion

Received 106 Likes on 85 Posts

Originally Posted by nicolachel
Thanks a lot everyone and I really appreciate the shared opinions, it seems to me that the difference is obviously there. Considering that and the fact that the price difference is not big and I could always change the suspension to coils if the worst happens, leaning seriously to the UL now.

I saw dejavu157 posted that he could get it shipped for 800,so I'm wondering how are you supposed to check it out? Do you have to pay even before get your hands on it(sounds scary)
I think that generally you'll find that people who have the UL love them, while people who don't have them find reasons not to have them.
Old 06-08-11, 10:07 PM
warminwisc
Lexus Champion

Received 31 Likes on 28 Posts

Quite prophetic master!!
Old 06-09-11, 03:51 AM
caddyowner
Lead Lap

Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts

Because of the need to carry my wife's wheelchair and other supplies, I eliminated the UL from consideration due to the smaller trunk. However since buying the car, I can only remember a couple times when we had too much stuff to comfortably fit in a UL trunk. We didn't have rear seat passengers at those times, so the overflow could have gone there.
Old 06-09-11, 04:18 AM
dejavu157
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If you can save 2-4k on a clean car you want because you expanded your search on all the states which gives you more choices on the color/trim/condition u want why no do it for a little money. Shipping and inspection would cost you roughly 1000$ and A carfax would help but not depend on it 100%. After all inspections and the cars history and maintenance report and if you still have doubt, throw in 400$ for a plane ticket and see it for yourself if u really were setting your mind to that car. You'd have only spent 1400$ to get the car/color/trim u want but saving overall 2600 because u expanded ur search.
Old 06-09-11, 06:22 AM
thinkin
Pole Position

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by jayclapp
I think that generally you'll find that people who have the UL love them, while people who don't have them find reasons not to have them.
While I really like the CL+ packages more, I can see peoples' main reason for not getting the UL (or even the CL) - more stuff to break. I would probably have shied away from a UL if my car wasn't CPO; I figured I had three years to work out any suspension bugs/early failures/etc. Without CPO I'd probably be more comfortable sticking below CL. But heck, even ML has an expensive NAV integration which is important for using key other parts of the car like some of the A/C controls; a failure there would really suck.

Like I mentioned before though, the most common trouble spots are common to all trims which is something to think about, and definitely get those thoroughly checked out before buying if you have no warranty.

As others have mentioned, the most important thing is the overall condition of the car and its history, and if I only had a few to choose from I'd take a cream puff Premium over a ragged-out UL any day of the week.

Quick Reply: How do you like the ultra Luxury package?