LS - 3rd Gen (2001-2006) Discussion topics related to the flagship Lexus LS430

How do you like the ultra Luxury package?

Search this Thread

Old 06-09-11, 08:19 AM
mewhee
Pole Position

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by caddyowner
I bought my CL from a BMW dealership in Bellevue, WA and had it shipped to Michigan. Steps I used:

- Daily searches of new autotrader & cars.com listings.

- Found likely car and posted request in this forum and the Pacific Northwest forum asking for someone to check out the car and take more pics.

- Airtime visited the dealership the next day and posted more than 50 pics.

- I called the dealership and put a $500 refundable deposit on credit card. (They didn't submit the charge, just held it.) I had them deliver the car to Airtime's independent Lexus mechanic who is just down the road. I also asked the dealer to price transport.

- Mechanic inspection was a bit over $100, also paid with credit card.

- After successful inspection by Airtime, mechanic, and review of pics, I negotiated price including shipping with the dealer. (They only came down about $500 from a fair price.)

- Dealer fedexed all paperwork to a local notary public who met me at a coffee shop. I signed and presented a check. She sent it back and once the check cleared, the dealer released the car to the transport company. Car arrived about a week later.

- Dealer sent me title (after a delay caused by a software problem at the Washington DMV - not dealer's fault).

- Car went to local Lexus dealer for 30K service and replace one of the steering wheel controls (not identified in inspection).

- Car went to local body shop to fix scrapes identified in previous pics and new dent in trunk lid that was not in any of the pics.

- Additional costs over $25.5K price of car were $900 transport, $150 doc fee, $100 inspection, $50 gift card for Airtime, $700 Lexus service, $3200 bodyshop charges, plus Michigan use tax. It came in under my budget.

Lessons learned:

- Only take delivery during daylight. That dent in the trunk probably happened after inspection at the dealership or in transit.

- The process takes a lot of involvement and time. I saw the car and called on it at the end of January, 2010. It took until almost the end of February to receive the car and title. The car was in the Lexus and body shops most of March and I didn't really start driving it until the beginning of April.
Outstanding example of a walk thru on how to buy a car long distance and the pitfalls therein - thanks Caddy !

Mods - How about a sticky on this ?
Old 06-09-11, 10:24 AM
BNR34
Lexus Fanatic

Received 26 Likes on 23 Posts

Every car have a purpose and the purpose of the LS430 is ultra luxury. The UL package really complete the LS430 for the total experience, I won't have it any other way. The rear seat package really makes the car feels very special.

But if you really never use the back seat, then at least get a CL for the extra leather, door closer, double pane glass and the adaptive cruise contol.

The extra leather and suede headliner in the UL/CL upgrade the interior tremendously.

Last edited by BNR34; 06-09-11 at 10:40 AM.
Old 06-09-11, 03:04 PM
warminwisc
Lexus Champion

Received 31 Likes on 28 Posts

I am actually looking for a CL 04-06 and if anyone can find a low mileage cream puff for me I would be more than grateful, my 04 has 140 k. No black or that kinda brown copper color.

I checked auto trader under 23g's under 60 k and found none today.
Old 06-10-11, 08:37 AM
StanVanDam
Instructor

Received 206 Likes on 155 Posts

I love the ultra luxury package, bought without CPO and have had no problems relating to the UL features.

Features I enjoy most are the ventilated heated/cooled semi-aniline leather seats, water-repellant double-paned glass, rear power sunshade, side manual sunshades, extra cooling power due to separate rear AC unit, rear audio controls, reclining rear seats, coolbox, air vents above rear doors, adjustable suspension dampening, height-adjustable suspension (high mode is good for snow and dirt roads, auto-adjusts height and headlights based on occupancy and trunk load, and it lowers itself at 62mph/100kph to achieve .25Cd drag), motorized door/trunk closers, and adaptive cruise control.

Every time I drive the car, it's like driving it for the first time - it still feels awesome to be driving such an amazing vehicle. For me, the UL package provides the best driving experience.
Old 06-10-11, 09:24 AM
sojah
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by nicolachel
Hi everyone, new to the forum and thinking about getting an LS430.

I heard that there is a "ultra luxury package" but from the listings close(not really that close, I usually search using 250/300Mi radius) to me few are equipped with that package. Which means checking one out in person would be difficult and say no to one would also be hard (there's not many to choose from).

So I'm wondering could anyone share their experiences on this package?
Is it really worth the huge expected efforts(spend weekends, travel thousands of miles and have to ask friends to come with me on these weekends and miles)to find a right one? Or I'd be better off just find a normal one?

Thanks very much.
sorry for being a little late to the party, been real busy lately, but i actually did what you said for my search and finally found the perfect one about a 4 hour drive from my home back in 08. Seeing as how the UL i found (05 flint mica on ecru) only had 29k miles on it i think it was well worth the effort, but if we are talking high mileage than i may accept a CL or ML which ever is the package directly below the UL as a viable option since the UL's air susp is known to have issues in higher mileage situation (not all but some).

i abused my air susp by lowering it way below factory specs and as a result the air went out. i have since replaced it with aftermarket coilovers and i absolutely love my car. i love all the amenities although i honestly don't use them that much. i think the radar cruise (although the pcs front grill is awesome looking to me) is ridiculous in a city driving (even on the highway) scenario since it leaves too much of a gap between you and the rest of the traffic. my air susp went out. my mini fridge is just a gimmick, so the rear seat amenities that hardly ever get used are the only thing i think is cool,, oh and the side rear privacy screens are always up in my car
Old 06-10-11, 09:25 AM
airtime
Racer

Received 13 Likes on 7 Posts

My brother in law recently purchased a brand new Lexus Hybrid which was loaded. He was showing me all the features, etc and was wow'd by them. I told him I had all those features plus more in my 04 LS430. Only thing I was missing was the push button start/stop.

It goes to show how advance these cars are even compared with today's current models.
Old 06-10-11, 11:31 AM
thinkin
Pole Position

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by airtime
Only thing I was missing was the push button start/stop.
I like our smartkey system/ignition far better than pushbutton; it's actually one of my favorite features and just a better human interface. With the same basic motion operations as with a key and a positive location/state for the positions, everyone understands it, it's intuitive in a pinch, and you still get to leave the "key" in your pocket.

No stupid "hold the button down for 3+ seconds" thing to shut the engine off in a panic situation. I'd bet money that played a big part in this terrible deadly accident with the runaway ES350 - in those moments when something isn't right your training and habit take over. It's not a problem with the 430's method and it makes me sad they went pushbutton for the 460.
Old 06-10-11, 06:23 PM
jayclapp
Lexus Champion

Received 106 Likes on 85 Posts

Originally Posted by StanVanDam
I love the ultra luxury package, bought without CPO and have had no problems relating to the UL features.

Features I enjoy most are the ventilated heated/cooled semi-aniline leather seats, water-repellant double-paned glass, rear power sunshade, side manual sunshades, extra cooling power due to separate rear AC unit, rear audio controls, reclining rear seats, coolbox, air vents above rear doors, adjustable suspension dampening, height-adjustable suspension (high mode is good for snow and dirt roads, auto-adjusts height and headlights based on occupancy and trunk load, and it lowers itself at 62mph/100kph to achieve .25Cd drag), motorized door/trunk closers, and adaptive cruise control.

Every time I drive the car, it's like driving it for the first time - it still feels awesome to be driving such an amazing vehicle. For me, the UL package provides the best driving experience.
Didn't you forget seat massage,the adjustable reading lights, and the seat/headrest memory preset buttons in the rear passenger area? Also don't forget the dash button that allows you to reposition the rear seats/headrest at their normal position when passengers have left the car.

Last edited by jayclapp; 06-10-11 at 06:29 PM.
Old 06-13-11, 09:35 AM
jdp1955
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have a 2005 LS with the CL package. Wonderful car. 74k miles. Drives like it's brand-new. Leather is perfect although I did have both front seats refurbished simply to bring back the original color (cashmere, I believe).
Best feature is the Laser-Radar cruise control.
Front shocks were replaced under dealer extended warranty (I bought the car used 3 yrs ago wit 41k miles).
Old 06-13-11, 10:03 AM
caddyowner
Lead Lap

Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by jdp1955
I have a 2005 LS with the CL package. Wonderful car. 74k miles. Drives like it's brand-new. Leather is perfect although I did have both front seats refurbished simply to bring back the original color (cashmere, I believe). ...
Leather choices for 04-06 CL and UL packages were semi-aniline black, comfort leather saddle (orangish brown), and comfort leather ecru (creamy beige / almond). You likely have ecru as cashmere was only available on base, premium, and ML packages.
Old 06-13-11, 05:30 PM
BNR34
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by thinkin
I like our smartkey system/ignition far better than pushbutton; it's actually one of my favorite features and just a better human interface. With the same basic motion operations as with a key and a positive location/state for the positions, everyone understands it, it's intuitive in a pinch, and you still get to leave the "key" in your pocket.

No stupid "hold the button down for 3+ seconds" thing to shut the engine off in a panic situation. I'd bet money that played a big part in this terrible deadly accident with the runaway ES350 - in those moments when something isn't right your training and habit take over. It's not a problem with the 430's method and it makes me sad they went pushbutton for the 460.
+1

I much prefer the smartkey system/ignition in the LS430 over the new push button start also

My reasons are:
1, More intuitive and feel traditional and old school, but without needing the key.
2, It feels more satisfying.
3, You don't need to depress the brake to start the car. Call me lazy but that is the point of the LS430....lazy and effortless Also because of this, you can start the car by just reaching in, no need to get in, step on the brake to start it. I often start it up before I get in to warm up the car a little, so this is useful/important to me.
4, You can turn off the engine without turning off everything.

I just love everything about my LS430 UL
Old 06-14-11, 11:22 AM
GS3Tek
Forum Moderator

Received 168 Likes on 127 Posts

Just to clarify for others (newbies who are reading):
Not beat on that dead horse again, but it's generally safer to shift into NEUTRAL (to maintain power steering, all the electronic nannies) than to shut off the engine ( losing ALL power) to the car. And slamming on the brakes would still over power the accelerator-it's been discussed EXTENSIVELY.

anyways, back to the love for the UL package
Old 06-15-11, 11:53 AM
BNR34
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by GS3Tek
Just to clarify for others (newbies who are reading):
Not beat on that dead horse again, but it's generally safer to shift into NEUTRAL (to maintain power steering, all the electronic nannies) than to shut off the engine ( losing ALL power) to the car. And slamming on the brakes would still over power the accelerator-it's been discussed EXTENSIVELY.
Nice for you to point that out.

It was just shocking that a veteran CHP officer didn't know that in the ES350
Old 06-15-11, 12:04 PM
sojah
Lead Lap

slightly on topic ^ ^ ^ i was in a car wash line about 2 months back and the line wasn't mooving so i kept shutting off my engine and didn't feel like turning it back on for only 10 seconds and 10 feet so i would shift it into neutral and just coast 10 feet (since it was downhill) well after about the 3rd time of doing this my brakes failed to have any pressure and i had to very very quickly react; start the car and slam on the brakes to not run into the new audi in front of me... i'm sure i looked like a real newb doing this but i was so freaked when i came within inches of hitting that car in front of me... real stupid move to save from turning on the engine for a few seconds...
Old 06-15-11, 01:09 PM
Jabberwock

Received 209 Likes on 172 Posts

100% agree - Smartkey in th eLS430 is an outstanding interface. The newer push button interface is not nearly as good or intuitive - actually I think it may potentially be dangerous.

Quick Reply: How do you like the ultra Luxury package?