LS - 3rd Gen (2001-2006) Discussion topics related to the flagship Lexus LS430

How do you like the ultra Luxury package?

Search this Thread

Old 06-07-11, 03:34 PM
nicolachel
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question How do you like the ultra Luxury package?

Hi everyone, new to the forum and thinking about getting an LS430.

I heard that there is a "ultra luxury package" but from the listings close(not really that close, I usually search using 250/300Mi radius) to me few are equipped with that package. Which means checking one out in person would be difficult and say no to one would also be hard (there's not many to choose from).

So I'm wondering could anyone share their experiences on this package?
Is it really worth the huge expected efforts(spend weekends, travel thousands of miles and have to ask friends to come with me on these weekends and miles)to find a right one? Or I'd be better off just find a normal one?

Thanks very much.
Old 06-07-11, 04:39 PM
06~ULTRA
Driver

I like the ultra cause of all the extra gadgets like, head liner, rear controls, air purifier, etc. My main worry is the $800+ea air suspension from the ul... But u can all ways switch them out 4 coils which is cheaper if u want. So, “is it worth getting a ul” it’s hard to say. All the extras + having a fully loaded LS -vs- expensive suspension repair/replacement.
Old 06-07-11, 04:50 PM
GLIDESUL
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

^^^ +1 what 06- Ultra said.
Old 06-07-11, 04:59 PM
caddyowner
Lead Lap

Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts

Welcome. Remember that most ULs won't be listed as such in their ads - especially from private parties and non-Lexus dealers. You have to review the pictures and verify that there are headlamp washers on the front bumper (CL & UL) and any of the following UL-only features: center console buttons for the suspension and rear seat features, rear seat feature controls on the rear armrest, side curtain tabs on the rear windows, and smaller trunk.

Finding any low mileage, high quality LS430 should be considered an appreciable effort. It's not like buying a used Cadillac which could be accomplished in a few days.
Old 06-07-11, 05:02 PM
anniversar
Driver

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

I haven't got one but I am also strongly thinking about one. I have a 2006 ML which I really like but I am intrigued by the UL model. I may be wrong but here is what I would expect the difference to be:

Smoother ride over rough road and expansion joints

Quieter due to the dual pane glass. I would imagine this reduces wind and road noise

All of this plus the higher quality interior trim and additional goodies

There was one at my local Lexus dealer but the trade price difference did not make sense for me.
Old 06-07-11, 06:53 PM
yuri.ber
Lead Lap

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by caddyowner
Welcome. Remember that most ULs won't be listed as such in their ads - especially from private parties and non-Lexus dealers. You have to review the pictures and verify that there are headlamp washers on the front bumper (CL & UL) and any of the following UL-only features: center console buttons for the suspension and rear seat features, rear seat feature controls on the rear armrest, side curtain tabs on the rear windows, and smaller trunk.

Finding any low mileage, high quality LS430 should be considered an appreciable effort. It's not like buying a used Cadillac which could be accomplished in a few days.
You forgot one of the nicest features of UL package (CL also) - a radar cruise control. I LOVE it on the long trips. Once you go radar cruise control you don't go back to a regular one
Old 06-07-11, 07:08 PM
caddyowner
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by yuri.ber
You forgot one of the nicest features of UL package (CL also) - a radar cruise control. I LOVE it on the long trips. Once you go radar cruise control you don't go back to a regular one
I agree, but it's usually tricky to identify if a car (CL or UL) has laser cruise from pics, as the distinctive lower grille openings are in the shadow of the bumper. The rather rare radar cruise control badge surround is easy to spot in pics.
Old 06-07-11, 07:11 PM
jayclapp
Lexus Champion

Received 105 Likes on 85 Posts

If you want the top of the line you have to go UL. Absolutely love the car. No regrets and wouldn't have it any other way. Will be hard to step back down after owning this car.
Old 06-07-11, 07:26 PM
CarGuy89
Lexus Test Driver

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

UL is the most complete LS experience. However, if you rarely haul anyone around, you may consider the CL trim level. It has most of the UL features, minus back seat goodies and air suspension (no need for potential costly repairs). Still has the extended leather, radar cruise, laminated side windows. Not sure how big of an impact laminated side glass has, since most of the noise you would hear is primarily due to wind hitting the front windshield. I have a free app on my phone that told registered 70 decibels when I was going 80-85 ish on the highway, so very quiet already.

I avoided UL b/c of what I read on suspension costs. CL's are pretty rare so I went with the ML. Very happy with it, the plastic on the dash and doors definitely don't look as nice as the leather but it's not bad either and should be quite durable in the long run. I really do like the nav as well, much more than any portable GPS I've had in the past.

If you decide you don't really need any of the items mentioned above, premium is also a nice trim, less things to go wrong and just as much luxury.
Old 06-07-11, 11:05 PM
nicolachel
Driver School Candidate

Thanks for the replies!

I also heard that the air suspensions are vulnerable(From LS400 owners though), so does someone have in their mind what would be the total cost to change them to the coils at a reputable place? ($3200 for a set of shocks really shocks me)
btw. Is there a big riding comfort difference between air sus and coils?

And I'm also wondering does the laser cruise control look like this(the thing in the white circle)?
If so, how does the radar one look like?

Thanks again!

Last edited by nicolachel; 06-07-11 at 11:10 PM.
Old 06-07-11, 11:28 PM
warminwisc
Lexus Champion

Received 31 Likes on 28 Posts

Big downer for me is the fridge, which marginally works, and no pass through for skiis
Old 06-08-11, 12:09 AM
ejthomp
Pit Crew

Received 18 Likes on 8 Posts

We've had the 2004 UL for a couple years now with 62k miles on it. I don't think I would go for this trim model again. Radar cruise was the first to go... repair of over a grand... Air suspension is questionable at this point...just put new tires on and paying $400 for rear camber correction and alignment. The built-in gps is 2004 vintage, meaning very user un-friendly. No one in the back has ever used the massager or the refrigerator. Seems like a service light comes on for something about every other week. I've figured out how to reset most of them, but by the time the next one comes, I'll have forgotten the procedure.

Love the car, not impressed with the gadgets.

One more... we have the OEM chrome rims....nice but the chrome is starting to bubble and I had one new tire leaking due to the chrome. Looks like I will need new rims down the line too.... great... Give me some standard, aluminum 16" rims please.

Last edited by ejthomp; 06-08-11 at 12:17 AM.
Old 06-08-11, 02:53 AM
dejavu157
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have a UL and have never learned to use the cooler haha. Dont forget, the UL has double windows! Its thicker. I searched the WHOLE US for mines. 800 on shipping wasnt an issue if i got the right color and mileage. UL is more for the passengers lol, i never got to enjoy it.
Old 06-08-11, 06:47 AM
caddyowner
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by nicolachel
Thanks for the replies!

I also heard that the air suspensions are vulnerable(From LS400 owners though), so does someone have in their mind what would be the total cost to change them to the coils at a reputable place? ($3200 for a set of shocks really shocks me)
btw. Is there a big riding comfort difference between air sus and coils?

And I'm also wondering does the laser cruise control look like this(the thing in the white circle)?
If so, how does the radar one look like?

Thanks again!
Yes, that is the laser cruise. In 04-06, I think the opening is shaped a bit differently. (Also, 04-06 bumpers with headlamp washers have the washers located a few inches more inboard.) The radar cruise has a square protective cover over the Lexus emblem / receiver(?) in the center of the grille.
Old 06-08-11, 07:36 AM
thinkin
Pole Position

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

For me, I'd get at least the CL. Lots of extra leather, power door closers, and the double-paned glass are too good to ignore. The biggies stepping up to the UL from CL are the separate rear air conditioning unit (helps cool down the whole car, not just the back seats, and adds a lot more filtration plus the optical deodorizer) and the air suspension. The air suspension dynamically adjusts the shocks in both modes at all four wheels based on speed, steering angle, etc. and levels the car with changing loads, both of which make a big difference. Plus you can set it to Sport when you're feeling a bit, uh, sportier, which significantly improves transient response at the cost of road isolation. You can even jack it up to "High" when driving over really bad roads at relatively low speeds which helps the ride a lot. These are all situational things but having a tool to optimize those situations is pretty swanky IMO.

The rear seat UL package has a big "Wow" factor, and though I haven't gotten a ton of use out of it it really leaves an impression.

In the end it's up to you and there are no bad LS430 packages; just know there are advantages of the UL that aren't often discussed, like the cooling power of the rear A/C, even without rear seat passengers and the flexibility of the adjustable suspension.

The disadvantage of the UL is, as others have mentioned, more stuff to break, though it should be noted that even a base LS430 has a ton of stuff to break and most common weak spots, such as the folding mirrors, power steering column, etc. are found on all trims.

Quick Reply: How do you like the ultra Luxury package?