LS - 3rd Gen (2001-2006) Discussion topics related to the flagship Lexus LS430

Car seats in the LS430

Search this Thread

Old 06-14-11 | 08:36 AM
skassamali
Driver

. I've had some bad luck and some decisions over the years that have forced me to sell vehicles earlier than I wanted to. I purchased a 95 300Z that had problem b/c I didn't get it checked out. I've had an I35 that developed a severe engine knock despite me using premium. And then my wife totaled our 05 FX. And now twins. So I'd like to keep the LS for a long time if I can. My guess is we'd have to sell the FX when we have 2 boosters and 1 infant and get something bigger for my wife. But she's adamant about not driving a mini-van...maybe she'll change her tune in a few years .
Old 06-14-11 | 08:49 AM
skassamali
Driver

Remi - do you have any pics with 2 boosters and an infant car seat?

The trunk of the LS430 looks very large. I think it should suffice especially considering the stroller we're looking at (http://www.buylowbestprice.com/baby-...ame-sale-price). It collapses to about 1 foot tall and maybe 3-4 feet wide. The most we'd be going to is Dallas or Houston...and the trip to a local mall to give the kiddos an outing. Keep in mind I'm speaking with no child experience .

Appreciate everyone's help so far!
Old 06-14-11 | 09:59 AM
2SAVVY
Lexus Champion

Sorry for the delay in posting these pics. Anyways here are 2 pics of the one car seat I have in my LS430. Hope it helps with your decision.
Attached Thumbnails Car seats in the LS430-dsc01006.jpg   Car seats in the LS430-dsc01007.jpg  
Old 06-14-11 | 10:15 AM
skassamali
Driver

Thanks! Does the UL have less rear legroom than the standard one? I know the trunk space is smaller.
Old 06-14-11 | 10:25 AM
2SAVVY
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by skassamali
Thanks! Does the UL have less rear legroom than the standard one? I know the trunk space is smaller.
Legroom is the same on all models. You get the cool box behind the rear centre console on the UL which on long trips works very well. And yes the trunk on the UL is a bit smaller.
Old 06-14-11 | 11:03 AM
skassamali
Driver

And is that with you sitting pretty comfortably in the front seat? I'm about 6'2, which is why I'm asking.
Old 06-14-11 | 11:25 AM
bcorey
Rookie

Hi Sajjad - I currently have one FF car seat and one RF car seat in my LS - the RF car seat sits behind the driver's seat and allows me to adjust my seat to a comfortable position - I'm 5"8" however and would imagine that being any taller might present an issue... In that case, you might consider having the FF car seat behind the driver's seat as there's seems to be enough room to accommodate plenty of leg room for the driver. Sometimes when my mother-in-law comes with us, we move the RF car seat to the center and there are not any issues - it fits fine and allows my mother-in-law plenty of room. If I were to do it over again, I'd probably try and get an UL for the rear and side sunshades. The sun almost always seems to find my daughter's face (she's in the RF car seat) and it almost always makes her cry for a bit. The side car shades that I have seem a bit cheesy and I'd much rather have spent a bit more to get those built in. Lastly, my wife actually wanted a mini-van and since we currently have one car, I politely refused that one. We ended up with the LS and just a few days ago my wife commented on how happy she was with the LS and our decision not to get the MV Oh, one more thing - if I were to have three kids - then no way would I have the LS - you could make it work but it would be a constant pain trying to get the middle kid in and out - Good Luck!
Old 06-14-11 | 11:26 AM
2SAVVY
Lexus Champion

I'm 5'8 and I have lots of room and so does my son and he is about 41" tall. We should have him in a booster in about a month once he puts on a bit more weight.

Even at 6'2 you should be OK. Might I suggest taking a test drive of the LS430 setting the seat at what you deem comfortable then measuring the space behind your seat that would give you a good idea if the LS will work for you and your wife's needs.

My wife drives a '09 Mazda5 and it has all sorts of room without it being overly large like a Sienna or equivalent.

We've taken 4 hour trips in the LS with the little guy and everyone is very comfortable. All in all a very good DD. Congrats on the upcoming additions to your family.
Old 06-14-11 | 11:45 AM
GS3Tek

Originally Posted by skassamali
. So I'd like to keep the LS for a long time if I can. My guess is we'd have to sell the FX when we have 2 boosters and 1 infant and get something bigger for my wife. But she's adamant about not driving a mini-van...maybe she'll change her tune in a few years .
I always thought it was the male who never wants the minivan only to hear that it's the female

I mentioned this several times before.
I've seen a honda civic with 3 baby seats (not boosters) and the family is surviving fine. After seeing that, I vow never to complain about not having enough space. Anyways, the rear seat in an LS has more than adequate space with 3 baby seats, given that you don't get 3 of those huge britax seats. I haven't tried it, but that is one of the bigger baby seats.

I have 2 gracos and 1 peg perego and they fit fine.

Not only that, the trunk is huge enough to store a folded front to back double stroller

Last edited by GS3Tek; 06-14-11 at 11:49 AM.
Old 06-14-11 | 11:59 AM
caddyowner
Lead Lap

Whatever you do, don't buy a UL and give the kids access to the radio controls. LOL
Old 06-14-11 | 01:03 PM
outdoorboy
Driver School Candidate

My wife and I refuse to drive a van so she has a Honda Pilot (I have the LS). The other day she had two boosters and a FF car seat. They all fit fine. One other thing, The RF car seat takes up a lot more room than the FF. You should be fine with FF, the RF is the one that I worry about.
Old 06-14-11 | 02:16 PM
skassamali
Driver

Once I read comments like those from GS3Tek, I realize that we get too picky. I've got to be able to make 2 boosters and an infant seat work in both the FX and LS. I mean, everyone doesn't change cars every time they get an addition to their family right? . I know the G35 for sure won't work for me, but I've got to believe the LS will work for a long time. I tried a pretty bulky Graco RF seat behind the driver's seat and I was ok - not like I'd ideally like to drive but I've go to learn to start making sacrifices. Plus, it'd be on weekends and some weekdays....good thing the LS has 3 settings...1 for me ,1 for the wife, and 1 for when the whole family is in the car . So we'll be a little uncomfortable for the 1st year until they outgrow the RF and switch to FF ones. We're likely going with the Chicco Key Fit 30 X 2.
Old 06-15-11 | 05:00 AM
tomkirklan
Driver

skassamali,
I have a 9 month daughter and she just went from her infant car seat / carrier (Chico Key Fit 30) to a Convertable car seat (Evenflow Momentum 65). As I'm sure you know your twins will need to move from the infant car seat to the convertible sometime around 9 months or 20-25 Lbs. They dont go into booster seats until they are 4 years old. The reason I mention this is the Convertible car seats are much larger. I'm 5'6 and I had just enough room with the Chico Key Fit to drive comfortably. The Convertable seat will only fit behind the passagers seat with the seat pushed up giving the passanger less leg room. It takes up a lot of room! Putting two of these back there would be very challenging. When we go to the Mall we barley have enough room after we pack the stroller (Uppa Baby Vista) and diaper bag to put any shopping bags in the trunk. Because of the size of the convertable seat I have decided my daughter will not ride in the lexus for a few years until she is in a booster seat.
Our other vehicle is a 4Runner and even in that vehicle the Convertable seat has to go behind the passangers seat.

Note: With the convertable or infant car seat they should both be rear facing until your child is at least one year old and over 20 lbs but they recommend to stay rear facing as long as possible up to 2 years old. http://www.car-safety.org/rearface.html Rear facing takes up a lot more room.

When we went to buy the 4 Runner we took our infant car seat to the dealer and made sure it would fit comfortably. This helped make our decidion but man I wish we would have taken a convertable seat because we would not have bought the 4 Runner.

With Twins I strongly recommend a Mini-van or something like a Mercedes Benz R class. Best of luck and feel free to PM with questions or request for pictures of the different seats in the LS.
Old 06-16-11 | 08:02 AM
skassamali
Driver

Thanks Tomkirklan. Seems like some people can fit car seats and some people cannot. I think I'll just have to go get the Key Fit 30 and go try it in the LS. I've tried an older/larger Graco in RF position, and it allowed me to sit decently. It appears as though the Key Fit 30 has a smaller footprint, so I thought it might fit better.
Old 06-16-11 | 08:07 AM
skassamali
Driver

Also, we'd probably go with a normal FF carseat instead of the convertible one that can be used either RR or FF. Something like what 2savvy is using (pics above). 2savvy's doesn't seem to take an abnormal amount of room.

Quick Reply: Car seats in the LS430