Lynzoid
Lexus Test Driver

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

replace front and rear stab bushes... start from that
Old 06-15-11, 05:24 AM
jayclapp
Lexus Champion

Received 106 Likes on 85 Posts

Did the car exhibit this behaviour before you bought it, or has it recently occurred? Could it have anything to do with the new tires? Might be a good idea just to swap the tires front to rear and see if that has an effect.
Old 06-15-11, 05:32 AM
Lynzoid
Lexus Test Driver

I'd support that... I found out the hard way, that LS wants a tire, which have at least 4 straight 'grooves' in it (i use Primacy HP). This kinda gives it straight-line stability.
Old 06-15-11, 06:11 AM
Stu
Racer

Received 58 Likes on 44 Posts

Originally Posted by Lynzoid
replace front and rear stab bushes... start from that
I am hoping everyone can help me with this, and I can leave this thread with a plan on how to resolve this, as I really want to keep the car and fix it.

Originally Posted by jayclapp
Did the car exhibit this behaviour before you bought it, or has it recently occurred? Could it have anything to do with the new tires? Might be a good idea just to swap the tires front to rear and see if that has an effect.
Had the problem when I bought it. I replaced the tires twice.

Originally Posted by Lynzoid
I'd support that... I found out the hard way, that LS wants a tire, which have at least 4 straight 'grooves' in it (i use Primacy HP). This kinda gives it straight-line stability.
May buy another set of new tires. I may replace the wheels too.
Old 06-15-11, 06:33 AM
Lynzoid
Lexus Test Driver

Are you on stock alloys ?
Old 06-15-11, 06:42 AM
Stu
Racer

yes, the cars is now on stock 18 inch Lexus wheels with new Continental ExtremeContact DWS in 245/45/18. Just to add, the car has inexpensive 17" aftermartket wheels for winter ( brand is Fast ) with inexpensive Firestone Winterforce snow tires 225/55?/17. The car is actually better on the highway on the cheaper winter wheels/tires.

Made me want to change the wheels, but I have had the wheels checked out by two shops and the place that sold me the two sets of 18 inch tires, and they are perfectly fine.
Old 06-15-11, 07:21 AM
airtime
Racer

Received 13 Likes on 7 Posts

How about a road force balance? (where they balance the wheels on the car). Sometimes regular balance doesn't work. Could it be your rims and not tires?
Old 06-15-11, 07:51 AM
Ty419
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Do you have the air suspension? It will wander a bit unless the ride height is adjusted correctly. If not air, wandering would suggest one or more struts, so might want to take a look at those and make sure one isn't going bad.
Old 06-15-11, 09:43 AM
Stu
Racer

Originally Posted by airtime
How about a road force balance? (where they balance the wheels on the car). Sometimes regular balance doesn't work. Could it be your rims and not tires?
I asked about road force balancing, but was told it only corrects for vibrations and I dont have that problem.

A couple places checked the wheels and they're OK. The shop said I could buy different wheels ( he sells nice wheels ) but he didn't think it would help. He's trying to find someone to buy the Continentals he sold me and thought a Yokohama Invigor (sp? ) in a 225/50/18 which has a softer sidewall may be something to try, and at $690 + tax I am tempted, even though its not as highly rated and the tires I have now.

Originally Posted by Ty419
Do you have the air suspension? It will wander a bit unless the ride height is adjusted correctly. If not air, wandering would suggest one or more struts, so might want to take a look at those and make sure one isn't going bad.
its not an air suspention and the shocks were checked and are fine.
Old 06-15-11, 10:24 AM
Ty419
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

A weak spring could also cause this problem. Measure the height to the center of the wheel well for each wheel and check that they each provide relatively similar resistance. It could be some odd anomaly like the prior owner always parking in an irregularly angled spot and causing one spring to wear faster than the others. Along the same reasoning, one particularly worn bushing could be the culprit, but you already mentioned that.
Old 06-15-11, 11:51 AM
Lynzoid
Lexus Test Driver

OFF: Please DO NOT confuse 'road force' balancing and 'finish' balancing.
Road force use Hunter 9700 machine with a big drum thingie simulating the road (OFF-car);
Final balancing - is ON-car and USELESS
Old 06-15-11, 02:38 PM
jayclapp
Lexus Champion

Received 106 Likes on 85 Posts

Originally Posted by Stu

The shop said I could buy different wheels ( he sells nice wheels ) but he didn't think it would help. He's trying to find someone to buy the Continentals he sold me and thought a Yokohama Invigor (sp? ) in a 225/50/18 which has a softer sidewall may be something to try, and at $690 + tax I am tempted, even though its not as highly rated and the tires I have now.
I would be a little leary with the shop you are working with. A good shop should take back the Continentals, give you credit after mileage deduction, and sell you tires that make you happy. Sounds kind of like he would like to just keep selling you something. Several years ago I purchased Bridgstone tires from Costco on my SC400. They picked up road dirt when you first started to drive the car and were noisy. I thought they'd wear in, but the didn't and they drove me crazy. After 10,000 miles I went back to Costco, they prorated the wear and sold me a much better set of tires. No questions asked.

Michelin Primacy MXV4 seem to be the tire of choice for owners in this forum. I have those on my car (from Costco of course).
Old 06-15-11, 02:49 PM
Stu
Racer

Originally Posted by jayclapp
I would be a little leary with the shop you are working with. A good shop should take back the Continentals, give you credit after mileage deduction, and sell you tires that make you happy. Sounds kind of like he would like to just keep selling you something. Several years ago I purchased Bridgstone tires from Costco on my SC400. They picked up road dirt when you first started to drive the car and were noisy. I thought they'd wear in, but the didn't and they drove me crazy. After 10,000 miles I went back to Costco, they prorated the wear and sold me a much better set of tires. No questions asked.

Michelin Primacy MXV4 seem to be the tire of choice for owners in this forum. I have those on my car (from Costco of course).
He took back the first set I bought from him without question and replaced them with the Continentals for no charge. He is not willing to do it again and I dont blame him and I am OK with it. I just want it fixed.
Old 06-15-11, 05:47 PM
BNR34
Lexus Fanatic

Received 26 Likes on 23 Posts

There are only 4 things:

Tires: New so they are good.
Shocks: Checked out to be fine.
Bushings: Your car don't have much miles, should be fine.

It must be the alignment then, A LOT of alignment guys are really incompetent, if a incompetent alignment guys tell you your alignment is good, it doesn't mean it is good. Go find a really good performance alignment shop to set up your alignment. Being the dealer doesn't mean anything.

Or one or some of your suspension bolts are loose, when you find that good alignment shop, have the guy go thru every single bolt to make sure they are all tight.

My LS430 got 84k miles on it, it goes in a straight line without needing any steering correction at any speed. It is one of the best car I have felt in this area, and I have driven pretty much everything that cost less then $400k.
Old 06-15-11, 06:52 PM
Stu
Racer

Originally Posted by BNR34
There are only 4 things:

Tires: New so they are good.
Shocks: Checked out to be fine.
Bushings: Your car don't have much miles, should be fine.

It must be the alignment then, A LOT of alignment guys are really incompetent, if a incompetent alignment guys tell you your alignment is good, it doesn't mean it is good. Go find a really good performance alignment shop to set up your alignment. Being the dealer doesn't mean anything.

Or one or some of your suspension bolts are loose, when you find that good alignment shop, have the guy go thru every single bolt to make sure they are all tight.

My LS430 got 84k miles on it, it goes in a straight line without needing any steering correction at any speed. It is one of the best car I have felt in this area, and I have driven pretty much everything that cost less then $400k.
3 different places did an allignment on the car. These were high end shops, not cheap dumps, lol. I am definitely going to take it somewhere else, after I do whatever "next repairs " are needed.

Quick Reply: 2005 LS430 at highway speeds