LS - 3rd Gen (2001-2006) Discussion topics related to the flagship Lexus LS430

2005 LS430 at highway speeds

Search this Thread

Old 06-14-11, 01:52 PM
Stu
Racer

Received 59 Likes on 45 Posts
Default 2005 LS430 at highway speeds

I was unhappy the way my LS required a lot of steering input to drive straight down the road, despite two front wheel allignments and two brand new sets of 18 inch tires. The car has 55,000 miles and has been checked by two shops, including Lexus, and found to be in perfect condition ....

I went ahead and replaced the steering rack bushings ( the old ones looked new ) and got a third 4 wheel allignment. The tech put in a little extra toe in the front wheels to try to help the car track better when driving straight .... it made a big difference driving in the city, but unfortunately on the highway it still requires a lot of steering input to drive straight. There is no vibration at any speed, it does not pull left or right, it just feels like its floating rather than "on rails " Tire pressures adjustments don't make any difference and the car has new 245/45/18 Continental ExtremeContact DWSs

What's wrong ? This issue is preventing me from enjoying the car on the highway at any speed over 70 mph. I want to fix it, the car is otherwise perfect.

New tires ( again ? ) Please help. Thanks.
Old 06-14-11, 02:44 PM
Jabberwock

Received 209 Likes on 172 Posts

Mine tracks very true at hwy speeds with little or no steering correction on 17 stock wheels and stock sized 225 55 17 Michelin Primacys - 33K miles on it and I don't think its ever had an alignment.

Are you getting a 4 wheel alignment at Lexus? I assume you are going to a well qualified alignment shop. Does it drift hard right or left when you release steering wheel?

You probably have seen this but there was a thread about the steering wheel not being centered while the steering box is at extreme end of travel - not sure on details but if this happens the car aligns great on the rack but when on road and under suspension load it is out of alignment at certain steering angles.
Old 06-14-11, 03:04 PM
Bon
Advanced

Received 26 Likes on 20 Posts

Here's something for your consideration: Steering rack free-play adjustment.
Old 06-14-11, 05:11 PM
warminwisc
Lexus Champion

Received 31 Likes on 28 Posts

What did the technicians say when they drove it?
Old 06-14-11, 05:44 PM
AlexusAnja
Lead Lap

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I've driven my LS to Orlando from NJ twice now and have had no issues with steering wheel playing and having to excessively compensate. I find the steering as true as any of my other cars (except my Integra GSR).

Perhaps the softness is making people thing it's needing adjusting to stay straight.
Old 06-14-11, 07:28 PM
Bocatrip
Lead Lap

Received 286 Likes on 240 Posts

Does your steering drift and/or do you need to correct the steering in order to keep it in a straight line? I know our steering is not very sensitive to being very crisp and precise as in a BMW or Infiniti where it will immediately turn with even the slightest steering movement.

Last edited by Bocatrip; 06-14-11 at 07:31 PM.
Old 06-14-11, 07:43 PM
Viper6
Pole Position

Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts

I still have this issue despite adjusting free play in steering rack guide to minimum and replacing rack bushings. I noticed that there is free play in the steering box linkage which I don't know how to adjust out, but the combined free play at the wheel is maybe 15mm and spec is anything under 40, so this shouldn't be the issue. Around town is much improved, but highway handling is only marginally better and still spooky. I have had 4 wheel alignment from Lexus as well and have brand new Michelin Primacys on 17" stock rims as well.

My next step is flushing the PS fluid this weekend and retorquing the subframe. If this step is unsuccessful, I am out of bright ideas except to start methodically replacing bushings in front end until fixed?

One thing I did notice while under there is that the sway bar had dirt wiped clean off the bar on either side of the bushing (maybe 10mm each side). Not sure a sway bar should be "sliding" thru the bushings or not... not sure if this is a cause or simply another symptom of loose front end?

On highway, wind will throw her all over the lane and needs much steering inputs. I have also had to make a swerve to avoid road debris and the front end loads up and the then unloads and slings the car farther than you wanted... it was downright scarry and unsafe handling manners in this evasive action... God forbid I had a real emergency swerve to avoid a car... I'd probably end up on my own accident.

It rides like a jallopy man... seriously pissed at this point and almost out of faith in this "premium flagship" car.

rant over
Old 06-14-11, 07:50 PM
Lynzoid
Lexus Test Driver

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

Yes, slipping stab bar (and i have encountered this myself) will contribute to uneven and unpredictable ride. Replace the bushings.
Old 06-14-11, 08:07 PM
Stu
Racer

Originally Posted by Jabberwock
... Are you getting a 4 wheel alignment at Lexus? I assume you are going to a well qualified alignment shop. Does it drift hard right or left when you release steering wheel?

You probably have seen this but there was a thread about the steering wheel not being centered while the steering box is at extreme end of travel - not sure on details but if this happens the car aligns great on the rack but when on road and under suspension load it is out of alignment at certain steering angles.
Lexus checked the allignment, and yes I took it to good places. Does not drift hard when I release the wheel.

Originally Posted by Bon
Here's something for your consideration: Steering rack free-play adjustment.
maybe I will try this next. Thanks Bon.

Originally Posted by warminwisc
What did the technicians say when they drove it?
they didn't say anything was unusual.

Originally Posted by AlexusAnja
I've driven my LS to Orlando from NJ twice now and have had no issues with steering wheel playing and having to excessively compensate. I find the steering as true as any of my other cars (except my Integra GSR).

Perhaps the softness is making people thing it's needing adjusting to stay straight.
No its not the softness, the car floats and need too much steering to go straight.

Originally Posted by Bocatrip
Does your steering drift and/or do you need to correct the steering in order to keep it in a straight line? I know our steering is not very sensitive to being very crisp and precise as in a BMW or Infiniti where it will immediately turn with even the slightest steering movement.
I need to correct the steering in order to keep it in a straight line.

Originally Posted by Viper6
I still have this issue despite adjusting free play in steering rack guide to minimum and replacing rack bushings. I noticed that there is free play in the steering box linkage which I don't know how to adjust out, but the combined free play at the wheel is maybe 15mm and spec is anything under 40, so this shouldn't be the issue. Around town is much improved, but highway handling is only marginally better and still spooky. I have had 4 wheel alignment from Lexus as well and have brand new Michelin Primacys on 17" stock rims as well.

My next step is flushing the PS fluid this weekend and retorquing the subframe. If this step is unsuccessful, I am out of bright ideas except to start methodically replacing bushings in front end until fixed?

One thing I did notice while under there is that the sway bar had dirt wiped clean off the bar on either side of the bushing (maybe 10mm each side). Not sure a sway bar should be "sliding" thru the bushings or not... not sure if this is a cause or simply another symptom of loose front end?

On highway, wind will throw her all over the lane and needs much steering inputs. I have also had to make a swerve to avoid road debris and the front end loads up and the then unloads and slings the car farther than you wanted... it was downright scarry and unsafe handling manners in this evasive action... God forbid I had a real emergency swerve to avoid a car... I'd probably end up on my own accident.

It rides like a jallopy man... seriously pissed at this point and almost out of faith in this "premium flagship" car.

rant over
Viper, you and Bon are lucky you have the expertise, tools and space to do these repairs yourself. I have to pay $90/hour plus parts and to be honest I am starting to think about selling the car ... and maybe buying another LS
Old 06-14-11, 08:26 PM
Jabberwock

Received 209 Likes on 172 Posts

Stu - One suggestion is to go drive a couple of other LS430s at the Lexus dealer. I know the used car guys at Sewell in Dallas will let me take cars out for 20-30 minutes by myself. You may find a much better one and end up doing a deal so it is legit to go test drive a couple of other LS.

It would be interesting if you drove similar year and miles LS to see if they feel as loose as yours is or if they feel more stable and tighter. Drive a couple of other LS430s may tell you conclusively that there may be something unique about your car or it maybe that the LS in general is just too loose for you.
Old 06-14-11, 08:28 PM
Bon
Advanced

Received 26 Likes on 20 Posts

Originally Posted by Viper6
rant over
It's normal that there are "wiped clean" areas on the sway bar. The sway bar is pulled and shifts from one side to the other when you jack up your car. This is when the bar is wiped clean. If both sides are raised at the same time, like on a lift, this doesn't happen.
Old 06-14-11, 08:32 PM
Stu
Racer

Jabberwock - The other LS430s I drove before I bought this one did not have this issue - and had higher miles and were not as well maintained. Not very happy right now.
Old 06-14-11, 08:49 PM
airtime
Racer

Received 13 Likes on 7 Posts

Just throwing this out there. I had some issues on the highway before. Had it align at the best shop in town. Still not tracking right. My local mechanic suggested it may be a tires issue and that was it. Even though the car wheels were aligned the tires wear was causing my problem.
Old 06-14-11, 11:32 PM
Stu
Racer

Originally Posted by airtime
Just throwing this out there. I had some issues on the highway before. Had it align at the best shop in town. Still not tracking right. My local mechanic suggested it may be a tires issue and that was it. Even though the car wheels were aligned the tires wear was causing my problem.

my current tires are brand new z-rated Continental ExtremeContact DWS.
Old 06-15-11, 04:22 AM
warminwisc
Lexus Champion

Received 31 Likes on 28 Posts

Sorry to hear Stu you have been having this problem a long time. Sounds like unless you start replacing bushings and who knows the effect you should trade it in on another one that does not ehxibit this problem. I drove 10-12 and none drove as you speak.Good luck

Quick Reply: 2005 LS430 at highway speeds