LS - 3rd Gen (2001-2006) Discussion topics related to the flagship Lexus LS430

Still can't get the %$#@&* Trunk Open!!!!

Search this Thread

Old 06-18-11, 07:32 AM
jayclapp
Lexus Champion

Received 106 Likes on 85 Posts

For whatever it's worth. I just tried my mechanical key in the trunk of my 04 UL, as I'd never done that before. What I found was that lock is not tied mechanically from the key to the lock. I could hear the motor running as the lock disengaged.

If I remember right from your original post, you stated that you could not turn the key in the trunk lock. Is that correct? If the key turns and does not activate the motor, then it would seem that the solenoid or motor has failed.

Surely Lexus must have a method to solve such a failure other than cutting the car apart to gain access. You might try asking Lexus directly to help you.
Old 06-18-11, 07:45 AM
dflanigan
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks for all the input guys. Let me answer some of the questions:
It is an '01 UL.
The valet button is not pushed in. Locked and unlocked it several times.
Yes I have the master key. It is a new key I had made at the dealer from the VIN number. It has the original key fob on it.
There is no clicking noise at all when I try the release from the dash or the fob.
I don't think the UL has the slot and push button above the license plate.
Tried applying downward pressure. Nothing.
I've decided against drilling the sheet metal. I have the back seat out and will take out the subwoofer since it is blown anyway.
Is the trunk release cable a loop or a T?
Old 06-18-11, 07:49 AM
dflanigan
Driver School Candidate

jayclapp, you are correct the key will not turn whatsoever.
Old 06-18-11, 08:11 AM
jac430
Driver

Originally Posted by caddyowner
I didn't know there was an inside trunk release lever until I looked. (Of course I had to try out the gas door release, too.)
It may sound silly, but I cannot find it.
Caddyowner, could you indicate where to find the release lever inside the trunk?
A photo would not go amiss.

Thanks!

Jac
Old 06-18-11, 08:13 AM
dflanigan
Driver School Candidate

jayclapp, are you saying that when you turned the key it operated the motor to open it? If that's the case I'm screwed. Because I'm positive the motor is shot or locked up.
Old 06-18-11, 08:33 AM
jac430
Driver

Hope this diagram helps a bit.
Note that the "lock" in the trunk-door where we use the key (from the outside) is in reality just a switch ('luggage compartment door key unlock switch")!

Jac
Old 06-18-11, 08:40 AM
caddyowner
Lead Lap

Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by jac430
It may sound silly, but I cannot find it.
Caddyowner, could you indicate where to find the release lever inside the trunk?
A photo would not go amiss.

Thanks!

Jac
Fuel door release on left wall of trunk and inside trunk release on left side of trunk lid between light and latch.
Attached Thumbnails Still can't get the %$#@&* Trunk Open!!!!-ls430-trunk1.jpg   Still can't get the %$#@&* Trunk Open!!!!-ls430-trunk2.jpg  
Old 06-18-11, 08:47 AM
GS3Tek

Received 168 Likes on 127 Posts

Originally Posted by Turtlespd
You cannot cut behind the rear seat, I think the gas tank is behind there. I would rather smash the rear taillight and reach in from there.
I am wondering can u hear the trunk latch clicking? If not I would pop the swith and send 12v down the positive side.
yeah, there's a whole AC unit back there for the rear passenger ac

it's sealed pretty good, so don't bother breaking the fridge

by the way, how long has that body been in there???

Last edited by GS3Tek; 06-18-11 at 09:47 AM. Reason: wrong info
Old 06-18-11, 09:11 AM
caddyowner
Lead Lap

Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts

Steps to get trunk open:

1 - Drive erratically.
2 - Act very nervous when pulled over by police.
3 - Consent to a vehicle search.
4 - Police will find a way to open the trunk.

Sorry, couldn't resist.

I think you're on the right track by going in through the rear seat. Assuming you can get everything out of the way, it will cause the least amount of visible damage. I'm very surprised that the Lexus dealer couldn't come up with a solution. It seems to be a design oversight.

You said you had a new master key made. Did you ever try it in the trunk lock before? Does it work in the glove compartment lock? If not, get another master key made (or find another key for the car).

Last edited by caddyowner; 06-18-11 at 09:17 AM.
Old 06-18-11, 09:34 AM
jac430
Driver

Originally Posted by caddyowner
Fuel door release on left wall of trunk and inside trunk release on left side of trunk lid between light and latch.
Thanks Caddyowner for the photos.
That explains why I cannot find the release handle: it just is not there in my car:

I would have liked it to have a release handle. Looks much safer.

Jac
Old 06-18-11, 09:39 AM
Bon
Advanced

Received 25 Likes on 19 Posts

A knowledgeable body shop may be willing and able to drill through your trunk lid behind the license plate to release the trunk lid. A small hole accurately drilled is easily plugged. Better than brute force and likely way easier than going through the back seat in a UL!
Old 06-18-11, 09:42 AM
Bon
Advanced

Received 25 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by jac430
Thanks Caddyowner for the photos.
That explains why I cannot find the release handle: it just is not there in my car:

I would have liked it to have a release handle. Looks much safer.

Jac
The inside trunk release is required in USA cars beginning in 2002. A few cars, including the US Model LS430, had them before the requirement existed.
Old 06-18-11, 10:06 AM
Randy B
Advanced

Received 81 Likes on 56 Posts

Originally Posted by dflanigan
Thanks for all the input guys. Let me answer some of the questions:
It is an '01 UL.
The valet button is not pushed in. Locked and unlocked it several times.
Yes I have the master key. It is a new key I had made at the dealer from the VIN number. It has the original key fob on it.
There is no clicking noise at all when I try the release from the dash or the fob.
I don't think the UL has the slot and push button above the license plate.
Tried applying downward pressure. Nothing.
I've decided against drilling the sheet metal. I have the back seat out and will take out the subwoofer since it is blown anyway.
Is the trunk release cable a loop or a T?
Just to make sure I read you right, you applied downward pressure while someone else was attempting to unlock the trunk correct? Sorry to see your 01' UL does not have the inside trunk release as in the picture below.

Hopefully you have the key slot.

I attached a couple of pictures of the key lock on the trunk lid. Also I verified while the key does in fact activate the solenoid, it is attached via linkage to the latch, so if you turn the key, you unlock the latch. Downward pressure (not a bunch, don't sit on the trunk lid) is the key. It will loosen the tension on the motorized closer.

Randy B
Attached Thumbnails Still can't get the %$#@&* Trunk Open!!!!-trunk-key-lock-1.jpg   Still can't get the %$#@&* Trunk Open!!!!-trunk-key-lock-2.jpg  
Old 06-18-11, 11:17 AM
Kansas
Lead Lap

Received 256 Likes on 202 Posts

Not that it is going to help with this problem but attached is a TSIB about correcting issues with the 2001 LS430 power trunk closer.

In 2001, Lexus offered "retro-fit internal trunk release kits" under TSIB AX001-01 for most sedan models back to model years 93 to 95. Installation was not covered by warranty so it was at the customer's expense.
Attached Files
Old 06-18-11, 12:20 PM
dflanigan
Driver School Candidate

I GOT IT OPEN!!!!!!!!!!!! FINALLY!!!!!
When I was at the locksmith he cut a new key from my master and tried putting a pliers on it but didn't want to break it off. I got to the point that I didn't give a crap if I did break it off. So I put the dummy key back in and cranked the heck out of it and it clicked a little. I turned it back and forth a couple times and torqued it hard again and it turned the rest of the way. The key is bent pretty good but I don't need it anyway. I haven't shut it yet as the previous owner is on his way to get his junk out of it.
Thank you all for your thoughts and advice. This is by far the best forum I've ever been on!! Now I'm off to get a new subwoofer!

Quick Reply: Still can't get the %$#@&* Trunk Open!!!!