LS - 3rd Gen (2001-2006) Discussion topics related to the flagship Lexus LS430

Still can't get the %$#@&* Trunk Open!!!!

Search this Thread

Old 06-18-11, 12:37 PM
caddyowner
Lead Lap

Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts

Congrats, but why wouldn't the fob or interior trunk release work?
Old 06-18-11, 01:00 PM
monkeybutt
Rookie

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Yehaw! dflanigan I've been following your plight w/ some interest and damn if I don't feel relieved w/ you. As you have not shut it yet I hope this will all work out. If it were me I would stuff my 16 yr old in there before I tried shutting the lid...but maybe my wife might object...a little.
Old 06-18-11, 01:29 PM
dflanigan
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I hear ya monkeybutt!! I have a 16 year old also, and a 22, 21, 12, 10, 5 and 3 year old. I wonder if they would all fit in there...damn near I bet...
Do you ride motorcycle's? That's the only time I hear the term monkeybutt is from riding for a long time. I have a Honda Superhawk currently.

caddyowner, not sure why the closer is dead. Another project!!
Old 06-18-11, 01:48 PM
Jabberwock

Received 205 Likes on 168 Posts

Good news glad it worked out for you.
Old 06-18-11, 03:20 PM
Randy B
Advanced

Received 81 Likes on 56 Posts
Default Congratulations!!!

Glad you worked it out. I would look into ordering the part in the TSB that was posted a few ago. Looks like the right answer for you.

Randy B
Old 06-18-11, 03:39 PM
jayclapp
Lexus Champion

Received 106 Likes on 85 Posts

Good to see you got the trunk open without destroying the car. But you've still got to figure out why the interior trunk button doesn't work don't you? Let us know what you find out. In the meantime I suggest you tie a piece of rope around the latch to prevent accidental locking before you get it fixed.
Old 06-18-11, 03:44 PM
caddyowner
Lead Lap

^^^
"Hey, you left your trunk open. Don't worry, I closed it for you."
Old 06-18-11, 06:00 PM
dflanigan
Driver School Candidate

caddyowner: NNNNNNNNNNNNOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!
Seriously, I opened and closed probably 50 times now and works like a charm. I wonder why the electric opener doesn't work though? Any ideas out there.
Old 06-18-11, 06:11 PM
dflanigan
Driver School Candidate

BTW, the owners manual was in the side pocket of the trunk so now I have 2 if anybody needs one.
Old 06-18-11, 06:19 PM
dejavu157
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

congrats. i was gonna suggest put upward pressure and turn the key =)
Old 06-18-11, 10:14 PM
monkeybutt
Rookie

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by dflanigan
I hear ya monkeybutt!! I have a 16 year old also, and a 22, 21, 12, 10, 5 and 3 year old. I wonder if they would all fit in there...damn near I bet...
Do you ride motorcycle's? That's the only time I hear the term monkeybutt is from riding for a long time. I have a Honda Superhawk currently.

caddyowner, not sure why the closer is dead. Another project!!
Glad to hear its opening and closing w/ the key. Looking at the number of progeny I can understand your restraint through this ordeal. I probably would done some physical damage eg. crowbar, trying to make the world right.

No street bikes for me, though temptingly fun. Bailing or laying it down in the dirt is one thing, but to be crunched by other larger vehicles... So naw the 'monkeybutt' moniker was just chosen on the spur of the moment years ago when I felt a bit ridiculous posting up on this new fangled thing called the 'internet'. Kinda just stuck from there. Makes it kind of hard to take me too seriously and that suits fine as heaven forbid anyone did.
Old 06-19-11, 04:41 AM
caddyowner
Lead Lap

I find that the closer is effectively useless. My Allante pull-down worked great when closing the trunk softly. However, with the LS I can't close my trunk lid soft enough so that the closer actually does anything aside from cycle after the lid is already latched. I think I can only remember once when lid clicked and then the closer took over. Is this the way it works (or doesn't) for everyone else?
Old 06-19-11, 06:16 AM
Jabberwock

Received 205 Likes on 168 Posts

agree - closer is useless, or maybe its design and worth is some high order zen concept too subtle for my primitive mind to grasp : )

Basically on my car the trunk has to be closed to within 3/4-1 inch or so before closer engages and in order to manually get the heavy trunk lid in that position simple inertia would take it the rest of the way down all by itself without the automated "closer"
Old 06-19-11, 07:10 AM
jayclapp
Lexus Champion

Received 106 Likes on 85 Posts

My closer works quite frequently. It doesn't work if I pull the lid down sharpely to overcome the struts and then let it go, as it will slam down. But I rarely do that unless my hands are full and need to get out of the way and can't assist the lid.
Old 06-19-11, 07:27 AM
caddyowner
Lead Lap

I suppose I could get the closer to work if I lowered the trunk lid gently from the outside. However, I don't like to touch the paint so I use only the internal handle (and release in time to get my hand out of the way).

Quick Reply: Still can't get the %$#@&* Trunk Open!!!!