LS - 3rd Gen (2001-2006) Discussion topics related to the flagship Lexus LS430

Still can't get the %$#@&* Trunk Open!!!!

Search this Thread

Old 06-17-11, 12:57 PM
dflanigan
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Still can't get the %$#@&* Trunk Open!!!!

I've been to the dealer, the locksmith and all over these forums with no luck. 2 more options:
1) Remove rear seat and cut a hole in panel and use something to reach emergency latch. Does anyone know what is behind the panel and can i core a hole in it? Also, what side and where is the emergency latch?
2) Cut hole behind license plate and try to grab rod and pull. Can someone tell me to which side of center I should put this hole and do you think this will work?
Old 06-17-11, 01:12 PM
froboy272
Pole Position

You will not be able to grab the trunk release from the back seat easily at all. I detailed my trunk today (04 but not a UL) and when looking at it from the back of the car its on the far left side of the trunk where the tool kit goes. its tucked in the top left corner of that tool kit area. That would be really tough to get at even from within the car. And then your assuming that its going to work.
Old 06-17-11, 01:15 PM
froboy272
Pole Position

btw what did the dealer say?
Old 06-17-11, 01:29 PM
dflanigan
Driver School Candidate

Thanks for the info froboy. The dealer sctatch his head then his butt and said "I don't think I can help you".
Old 06-17-11, 02:11 PM
froboy272
Pole Position

yea i mean i dont know if the UL is different but in my trunk even if you cut a hole all the way as far to the drivers side as you could there is no way anyones arms are long enough to reach through and pull that cord. Plus it doesn't have a loop to grab with a tool of any kind. its just an upside down "T" shape.
Old 06-17-11, 03:30 PM
Bon
Advanced

Received 25 Likes on 19 Posts

What year and model are we dealing with here? Oh, and I have to ask: You haven't inadvertently pressed the valet lockout button have you?

Last edited by Bon; 06-17-11 at 03:36 PM.
Old 06-17-11, 04:36 PM
caddyowner
Lead Lap

Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by froboy272
yea i mean i dont know if the UL is different but in my trunk even if you cut a hole all the way as far to the drivers side as you could there is no way anyones arms are long enough to reach through and pull that cord. Plus it doesn't have a loop to grab with a tool of any kind. its just an upside down "T" shape.
The cord with the "T" shape handle on the left side of the trunk is the emergency release for the gas cap door. The lever to open the trunk is on the lower left side of the trunk lid.
Old 06-17-11, 04:42 PM
Turtlespd
Driver School Candidate

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts

You cannot cut behind the rear seat, I think the gas tank is behind there. I would rather smash the rear taillight and reach in from there.
I am wondering can u hear the trunk latch clicking? If not I would pop the swith and send 12v down the positive side.
Old 06-17-11, 05:26 PM
Ty419
Lead Lap

You mentioned in the other thread that there is no "click" when you are trying to open the trunk. It is audible, so you would hear it if it is trying to open and is stuck or something.

Since it isn't clicking, it could be that the trunk is locked out. The lockout button is the keyhole between the trunk release and fuel door release on the dash. Use the master key to make sure that it is unlocked.
Old 06-17-11, 05:28 PM
Ty419
Lead Lap

If you do decide to forcefully enter the trunk, there is only a piece of carpet under the subwoofer, which can be removed from the cabin. I would imagine you could muscle the fabric out of the way once the sub is out and fish some sort of grabber into the trunk to pull the lever. Certainly don't go drilling holes in the sheetmetal.
Old 06-17-11, 06:00 PM
Randy B
Advanced

Received 81 Likes on 56 Posts

Originally Posted by dflanigan
I've been to the dealer, the locksmith and all over these forums with no luck. 2 more options:
1) Remove rear seat and cut a hole in panel and use something to reach emergency latch. Does anyone know what is behind the panel and can i core a hole in it? Also, what side and where is the emergency latch?
2) Cut hole behind license plate and try to grab rod and pull. Can someone tell me to which side of center I should put this hole and do you think this will work?
This is ludicrous!!! The release is on the trunk deck lid itself inside the trunk. You should be able to see inside the trunk with a flashlight through the rear center arm rest. If you are dealing with a UL, I then ask, "Do you have the hard key to your car?" There is a slot on the right side of the trunk where the push button is above your plate for the key lock.

You should really be able to open it here. I would try applying pressure down on the trunk lid, while attempting to jar the trunk loose electrically, and or manually. Solely lifting will lock the trunk in place. Downward force to ease the pressure off the lock mechanism is the right path.

Randy B
Old 06-17-11, 07:38 PM
HiloDB1
Lexus Test Driver

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by Randy B
This is ludicrous!!! The release is on the trunk deck lid itself inside the trunk. You should be able to see inside the trunk with a flashlight through the rear center arm rest. If you are dealing with a UL, I then ask, "Do you have the hard key to your car?" There is a slot on the right side of the trunk where the push button is above your plate for the key lock.

You should really be able to open it here. I would try applying pressure down on the trunk lid, while attempting to jar the trunk loose electrically, and or manually. Solely lifting will lock the trunk in place. Downward force to ease the pressure off the lock mechanism is the right path.

Randy B
I dont see how this is ludicrous. Its possible the lock mechanism itself has seized not allowing the latch to release. This has happened to me on a car I own. It was not the trunk but the drivers side door.
Old 06-17-11, 10:01 PM
froboy272
Pole Position

Originally Posted by caddyowner
The cord with the "T" shape handle on the left side of the trunk is the emergency release for the gas cap door. The lever to open the trunk is on the lower left side of the trunk lid.
lol my bad. i've never used either one. i've never even heard of a release for the gas door. now i know.
Old 06-18-11, 04:25 AM
caddyowner
Lead Lap

Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by froboy272
lol my bad. i've never used either one. i've never even heard of a release for the gas door. now i know.
I didn't know there was an inside trunk release lever until I looked. (Of course I had to try out the gas door release, too.)
Old 06-18-11, 05:16 AM
Randy B
Advanced

Received 81 Likes on 56 Posts

Originally Posted by HiloDB1
I dont see how this is ludicrous. Its possible the lock mechanism itself has seized not allowing the latch to release. This has happened to me on a car I own. It was not the trunk but the drivers side door.
Different lock mechanism, than a door, and a different vehicle based on what you stated. The design of this trunk latch is to be able to open when this type of event happens. The mechanism has not seized. Perhaps the electric solenoid has failed, however the cable for the lock still works the same.

Randy B

Quick Reply: Still can't get the %$#@&* Trunk Open!!!!