LS - 3rd Gen (2001-2006) Discussion topics related to the flagship Lexus LS430

UL worth the extra money?

Search this Thread

Old 06-24-11, 06:39 PM
thinkin
Pole Position

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

When I started researching LS430s the first one I drove was an UL. I ended up driving many more, but the UL ruined me. Every time I sat in a simpler trim here's what I felt and said to myself:

...Wow, what's up with all this plastic on the doors, center console, and glove box? That first car had so much more leather, like it's supposed to be there and now someone ripped it out and put cheap plastic!

...There's more noise. Is it the tires? No, it's the lack of double-paned glass, or the air suspension.

...The headliner looks so much cheaper than the first one's...

...Oops, I didn't close the door all the way. Dammit I gotta open it and close it again. The UL did it for me....

...The A/C is weaker. Oh wait, the UL had that rear unit on...

...I feel like pushing the car a bit. Where's that sport button for the suspension...?

And so it went. Every time I tried to like a lower trim one of these things would pop into my head. And this is all without even mentioning the total WOW factor of the UL rear seat package when you have rear passengers.

Granted some of the above are addressed by the CL, and I can see settling on the CL if you don't live in a hot climate and/or don't want to mess with the air suspension. You also get a bit more trunk space. Each to his own and in the scheme of things the 430 is an awesome car in any form. But this is not an ordinary car, it's a flagship. On lesser cars options can feel tacked on, but in the 430s case it's obvious the UL is how the 430 is supposed to look and feel, and the lower trims feel deliberately decontented.

Just my 2c.
Old 06-24-11, 06:54 PM
REV-01
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

when i was looking for one 3 years ago. i wanted only pcs equipped ul only. nothing else, then it has to be less than 30k miles. then it has to be black interior, finally the order of exterior choice color order goes from white, silver then flint mica. $ was actually the last thing i look, i just want to find what i am looking for.

i was able to find a silver black pcs ul with the milage that is acceptable to me. lucky i find it in cali.
Old 06-24-11, 07:05 PM
AlexusAnja
Lead Lap

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

For the DRIVER, the only difference the UL has over the CL is the air-suspension. All the other goodies are in the back. So, unless you are a back seat driver, those goodies are bumpkus. I chose the CL because with 3 kids, rear goodies just means not used, and I can see the sunshades breaking after about 2 years of constant playing with. Plus, the UL loses trunk space, which with 3 kids, I need.
Old 06-24-11, 07:12 PM
MrXerox
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by thinkin
Every time I sat in a simpler trim here's what I felt and said to myself:

...Wow, what's up with all this plastic on the doors, center console, and glove box? That first car had so much more leather, like it's supposed to be there and now someone ripped it out and put cheap plastic!

...There's more noise. Is it the tires? No, it's the lack of double-paned glass, or the air suspension.

...Oops, I didn't close the door all the way. Dammit I gotta open it and close it again. The UL did it for me....

...I feel like pushing the car a bit. Where's that sport button for the suspension...?
Really?! Im supprised you did not notice the dirt building up on your headlights while driving the lesser trim and reach for the missing headlight washer button
Old 06-24-11, 07:45 PM
ultm8mind
Instructor

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

Post #26 was nice, lol. I also would like to thank you all for your input, it is appreciated.
Old 06-24-11, 08:33 PM
Jabberwock

Received 205 Likes on 168 Posts

Originally Posted by thinkin
When I started researching LS430s the first one I drove was an UL. I ended up driving many more, but the UL ruined me. Every time I sat in a simpler trim here's what I felt and said to myself:

And so it went. Every time I tried to like a lower trim one of these things would pop into my head. And this is all without even mentioning the total WOW factor of the UL rear seat package when you have rear passengers.

Granted some of the above are addressed by the CL, and I can see settling on the CL if you don't live in a hot climate and/or don't want to mess with the air suspension. You also get a bit more trunk space. Each to his own and in the scheme of things the 430 is an awesome car in any form. But this is not an ordinary car, it's a flagship. On lesser cars options can feel tacked on, but in the 430s case it's obvious the UL is how the 430 is supposed to look and feel, and the lower trims feel deliberately decontented.

Just my 2c.
Very well said. Agree - the level of seamless integration of the many various component parts on this car is extraordinary.
Old 06-25-11, 06:21 AM
LS430Lexus
Advanced

Received 81 Likes on 58 Posts

The original post asked if the UL was worth the money. Whether it was worth the money when new is a mute point. On the used market the price differential is minor.

Remember, the number of ULs decreased as the model run reached its end. Find the best combination of mileage, condition and cosmetics at a price you are comfortable with. You will love it.
Old 06-25-11, 07:42 AM
airtime
Racer

Received 13 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by sgretchko
The original post asked if the UL was worth the money. Whether it was worth the money when new is a mute point. On the used market the price differential is minor.
You hit it right on the nose. When new, its a 15k or 16k option, in the used market, its 1k to 3k more so its much easier to justify if really want that package.
Old 06-25-11, 08:15 AM
ultm8mind
Instructor

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

Thanks guys. That should I look at when buying the LS, how much should I or would you spend?
Old 06-25-11, 08:43 AM
Ty419
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Remember that you are nearing the end of CPO LS430's. At this time, only an 06 can be certified. You may come across 05's that were certified before, but they would have to have sat on the lot for a while. An 06 UL CPO in excellent condition from a Lexus dealer with low miles should be priced upwards of 30k.
Old 06-25-11, 09:10 AM
caddyowner
Lead Lap

Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts

Have you looked lately? Fixed it for you...

Originally Posted by Ty419
... An 06 UL CPO in excellent condition from a Lexus dealer with low miles is likely priced in the upper 30s.
Old 06-25-11, 11:21 AM
sojah
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

For only 5 g's I say yes. I'm considering if a 600hL is worth 10-15k more than a 460L right now.
Old 06-25-11, 07:51 PM
warminwisc
Lexus Champion

Received 31 Likes on 28 Posts

Do you snow ski, have to get a rack.
Old 06-25-11, 08:34 PM
Jabberwock

Received 205 Likes on 168 Posts

Originally Posted by sojah
For only 5 g's I say yes. I'm considering if a 600hL is worth 10-15k more than a 460L right now.
An $85k+ hybrid with a 5.o liter V8 engine is an absurd joke....plain and simple...ranks right up there with the Cadillac Escalade Hybrid - designed and marketed specifically for the eco minded d-bag. JMHO : )

Last edited by Jabberwock; 06-25-11 at 08:42 PM.
Old 06-26-11, 12:54 AM
mannye
Pit Crew

Received 17 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by Jabberwock
An $85k+ hybrid with a 5.o liter V8 engine is an absurd joke....plain and simple...ranks right up there with the Cadillac Escalade Hybrid - designed and marketed specifically for the eco minded d-bag. JMHO : )
Ha ha! I have to agree. However, to thier credit, I hear Lexus has been saying the hybrid treatment on the LS is a PERFORMANCE enhancement due to the torque being on tap from 0rpm.

If the weight can be justified, I wouldn't mind a hot rod with 400ft/lb available right off the line!

But again, if you're gonna drive an ocean liner, don't try telling me you care about the environment! At least have the decency to throw a big V-8 or V-10 (thanks Audi) in it and get the baby seal seating surfaces (soooo soft).

Quick Reply: UL worth the extra money?