LS - 3rd Gen (2001-2006) Discussion topics related to the flagship Lexus LS430

UL worth the extra money?

Search this Thread

Old 06-26-11, 05:17 AM
Jabberwock

Received 205 Likes on 168 Posts

Originally Posted by mannye
At least have the decency to throw a big V-8 or V-10 (thanks Audi) in it and get the baby seal seating surfaces (soooo soft).
Hybrid V8 and baby seal together?...now your talking my language, that will sell like hotcakes in DFW.
Old 06-26-11, 05:23 AM
AlexusAnja
Lead Lap

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Default Ivory

...But again, if you're gonna drive an ocean liner, don't try telling me you care about the environment! At least have the decency to throw a big V-8 or V-10 (thanks Audi) in it and get the baby seal seating surfaces (soooo soft).
Holy crap... ha ha... I know it's all tongue-in-cheek. So why not throw in some ivory instead of wood trim, with tiger skin headliners. That will throw PETA right into an all out hissy-fit.
Old 06-26-11, 05:54 AM
caddyowner
Lead Lap

Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by AlexusAnja
Holy crap... ha ha... I know it's all tongue-in-cheek. So why not throw in some ivory instead of wood trim, with tiger skin headliners. That will throw PETA right into an all out hissy-fit.
Hey, don't offend us members of PETA - People Eating Tasty Animals.

Oh, never mind.
Old 06-26-11, 07:03 AM
sojah
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Ha ha! I have to agree. However, to thier credit, I hear Lexus has been saying the hybrid treatment on the LS is a PERFORMANCE enhancement due to the torque being on tap from 0rpm.

If the weight can be justified, I wouldn't mind a hot rod with 400ft/lb available right off the line!

But again, if you're gonna drive an ocean liner, don't try telling me you care about the environment! At least have the decency to throw a big V-8 or V-10 (thanks Audi) in it and get the baby seal seating surfaces (soooo soft).
don't get me wrong i was purely considering the 600 because of the added features... its like the UL of the 460 essentially but with a step up in performance. i believe it actually gets 1-2 mpg worse than a normal 460. buts its also awd if thats a plus to anyone.

its just the exclusivity of it i was comparing to our UL's. i mean i spent a long time searching for my UL and it seems to me that the 600 is the equivalent in the next gen version of our cars,, anyone else feel the same?
Old 06-26-11, 09:54 AM
thinkin
Pole Position

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I haven't been in a 600 yet. How's the interior quality on them? Is it any better than the 460's, and for that matter does the 460 have the equivalent of the UL/CL where you get more and/or better leather? One of the biggest turn-offs I had with the 460s I drove compared to the 430 was the materials and build quality of the interior, but I don't know what packages they had or if it matters.
Old 06-26-11, 01:15 PM
focsle
Rookie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Ty419
An 06 UL CPO in excellent condition from a Lexus dealer with low miles should be priced upwards of 30k.
There was one 2006 UL on eBay, and possibly now on autotrader. Asking $38.9 in Kansas, black w/ecru and under 20k miles. I believe that is probably close to retail pricing for that mileage in any of the valuation guides.
Old 06-26-11, 07:40 PM
ultm8mind
Instructor

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

Yeah, I don't see myself spending anything like that, lol. I'm on an Army budget, but I like to be ballin' on my budget, lol....

Although if it had the baby seal leathers, and tiger headliner I'd think about it, haha....
Old 06-27-11, 09:53 AM
BNR34
Lexus Fanatic

Received 26 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by thinkin
When I started researching LS430s the first one I drove was an UL. I ended up driving many more, but the UL ruined me. Every time I sat in a simpler trim here's what I felt and said to myself:

...Wow, what's up with all this plastic on the doors, center console, and glove box? That first car had so much more leather, like it's supposed to be there and now someone ripped it out and put cheap plastic!

...There's more noise. Is it the tires? No, it's the lack of double-paned glass, or the air suspension.

...The headliner looks so much cheaper than the first one's...

...Oops, I didn't close the door all the way. Dammit I gotta open it and close it again. The UL did it for me....

...The A/C is weaker. Oh wait, the UL had that rear unit on...

...I feel like pushing the car a bit. Where's that sport button for the suspension...?

And so it went. Every time I tried to like a lower trim one of these things would pop into my head. And this is all without even mentioning the total WOW factor of the UL rear seat package when you have rear passengers.

Granted some of the above are addressed by the CL, and I can see settling on the CL if you don't live in a hot climate and/or don't want to mess with the air suspension. You also get a bit more trunk space. Each to his own and in the scheme of things the 430 is an awesome car in any form. But this is not an ordinary car, it's a flagship. On lesser cars options can feel tacked on, but in the 430s case it's obvious the UL is how the 430 is supposed to look and feel, and the lower trims feel deliberately decontented.

Just my 2c.
I feel 100% the same way
Old 06-27-11, 09:55 AM
BNR34
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by caddyowner
hey, don't offend us members of peta - people eating tasty animals.

Oh, never mind.
LOL, that's funny
Old 06-27-11, 10:33 AM
BNR34
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by sojah
don't get me wrong i was purely considering the 600 because of the added features... its like the UL of the 460 essentially but with a step up in performance. i believe it actually gets 1-2 mpg worse than a normal 460. buts its also awd if thats a plus to anyone.

its just the exclusivity of it i was comparing to our UL's. i mean i spent a long time searching for my UL and it seems to me that the 600 is the equivalent in the next gen version of our cars,, anyone else feel the same?
I feel the same, the 600 is like the 430 UL in many ways..........it got exclusive features that no 460 got. The leather wrapped dash top and upper door panels alone makes it looks completely different then any 460......and the 600 got extra wood trims.

If I ever have to buy that generation LS, it must be a 600 for me. I love that special feeling.

The 600 is actually a hair slower, but it feels stronger due to the instant electric torque.
Old 06-27-11, 11:14 AM
BNR34
Lexus Fanatic

I haven't been in a 600 yet. How's the interior quality on them?
600 got much more leather coverage, more wood trims too. I am not sure if the quality is actually better though.

Is it any better than the 460's, and for that matter does the 460 have the equivalent of the UL/CL where you get more and/or better leather?
I always wanted to know too if there is a package that gives it more leather coverage in the 460. Most normal 460s looks like a ML 430.......plastic everywhere.

One of the biggest turn-offs I had with the 460s I drove compared to the 430 was the materials and build quality of the interior, but I don't know what packages they had or if it matters.
Of course it matters..........I would think there is an extra leather option for the 460s, the base interior looks pretty low grade. But I guess I never care enough to look into it, I would only buy a 600, and even the base 600 got full leather. The thing I hate the most in the base 460 interior is there is no leather on the door panel's arm rest or the center console, is just plastic. That is not acceptable on the flagship. Even the new GS and IS got leather there.
Old 06-27-11, 11:38 AM
aypues
Instructor

Received 66 Likes on 50 Posts
Default 05 CPOs can be had

Originally Posted by Ty419
Remember that you are nearing the end of CPO LS430's. At this time, only an 06 can be certified. You may come across 05's that were certified before, but they would have to have sat on the lot for a while. An 06 UL CPO in excellent condition from a Lexus dealer with low miles should be priced upwards of 30k.
CPO goes for a full 6 years from the in service date. You can still get '05s with the CPO from a dealer. In fact, I bought an '04 CPO this time last year.
Old 06-28-11, 07:53 PM
ultm8mind
Instructor

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

thanks gents.....if I gotta mess with it I will. My last car was an Evo and they are attention *****s.....always messing with something under it.