LS - 3rd Gen (2001-2006) Discussion topics related to the flagship Lexus LS430

LS430 Owners More Trim Level Conscious?

Search this Thread

Old 06-24-11 | 01:12 PM
mndaves
Driver

Default LS430 Owners More Trim Level Conscious?

Like many of you (I'm sure), I troll the 460 forum in case we ever end up owning one. One thing I've noticed, and wanted to see if my fellow 430 owners agree, it seems like trim level is a bigger deal over here and is discussed more often. For example, the multiple threads recently talking about the value of ULs.

Am I crazy? Are there fewer trim levels for the 460? Do their owners just not care?

Discuss...
Old 06-24-11 | 02:20 PM
AlexusAnja
Lead Lap

Default All NAV

Originally Posted by mndaves
Like many of you (I'm sure), I troll the 460 forum in case we ever end up owning one. One thing I've noticed, and wanted to see if my fellow 430 owners agree, it seems like trim level is a bigger deal over here and is discussed more often. For example, the multiple threads recently talking about the value of ULs.

Am I crazy? Are there fewer trim levels for the 460? Do their owners just not care?

Discuss...
It does seem like the 460 has less dramatic trims. The 430 had premium (no NAV), modern (with NAV), Custom (almost UL, minus the air), and of course the UL. The 460 all have NAV, and then seem to jump to either UL or Executive trim. No real like "filler" like the medium trims (premium).

Just my thoughts...
Old 06-24-11 | 03:58 PM
Jabberwock

I was wasting time and looked at a couple of 460s this week as I was having some work done at the Sewell service shop to my LS430. Regular LS460 was priced at $77K. The LS460L was priced at $84k. Those prices are nuts as far as I am concerned. I prefer the LS430 interior.

One especially funny line item on price tag was that the dealer was charging $149.99 for Nitrogen. Fearing the worst, I asked the salesman was the $150 charge for putting nitrogen in the tires? , he says yes and starts in on some BS about how its critical for safety and for the TPSM system.

Wow that's some expensive nitrogen - which actually cost just pennys per fill. I did not tell him that regular air is already 78% nitrogen. Disappointing that Sewell is running a scam like this. Nitrogen tire fill should be charged at maybe 20 bucks max and even that is silly for an $75-80k car. A $150 charge is just a carny level scam pure and simple.

Last edited by Jabberwock; 06-24-11 at 04:04 PM.
Old 06-24-11 | 04:49 PM
caddyowner
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by Jabberwock
... One especially funny line item on price tag was that the dealer was charging $149.99 for Nitrogen. Fearing the worst, I asked the salesman was the $150 charge for putting nitrogen in the tires? , he says yes and starts in on some BS about how its critical for safety and for the TPSM system.

Wow that's some expensive nitrogen - which actually cost just pennys per fill. I did not tell him that regular air is already 78% nitrogen. Disappointing that Sewell is running a scam like this. Nitrogen tire fill should be charged at maybe 20 bucks max and even that is silly for an $75-80k car. A $150 charge is just a carny level scam pure and simple.
I agree. The tire chain I use, Belle Tire, "nitronizes" your tires whenever you buy a set or have one repaired for free.

I think one of the reasons there is so much discussion of trim levels for the LS430 is because even though the cars were originally sold with those trim levels listed on the stickers, that information is not included (or is often wrong) in used car ads. I've seen a lot of ads for "premium" cars with pics showing nav. Folks shopping for a Cadillac DTS have the same discussions on Sal's Cadillac owners forum concerning Lux I, II, III, and Performance levels.
Old 06-24-11 | 06:41 PM
AlexusAnja
Lead Lap

Default Exactly...

Originally Posted by caddyowner
...I think one of the reasons there is so much discussion of trim levels for the LS430 is because even though the cars were originally sold with those trim levels listed on the stickers, that information is not included (or is often wrong) in used car ads...
Exactly. So many LS430 are described in ads as "ultra luxury" being used to describe the car's luxury, not which trim it has. I think some people did not realize that "Ultra Luxury" was a trim.

Or the infamous "fully loaded" for the modern luxury package because it has nav, when in fact it's far from "fully loaded."
Old 06-24-11 | 08:20 PM
CarGuy89
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by AlexusAnja
It does seem like the 460 has less dramatic trims. The 430 had premium (no NAV), modern (with NAV), Custom (almost UL, minus the air), and of course the UL. The 460 all have NAV, and then seem to jump to either UL or Executive trim. No real like "filler" like the medium trims (premium).

Just my thoughts...
+1000000
Yup, the 460 has the normal one and a few packages to choose from (labeled Package A, B, C...etc) as well as a few stand-alone options. I think it's just the nomenclature that changed, no more trim level names. I think the 460 is the only flagship car to offer the normal 460 without nav in its most basic form (BMW, Merc, Audi all come with nav). If you want nav, however, you will have to bundle in a ton of other things as well. Since most customers probably want nav, most 460s already come pretty decked out.