LS - 3rd Gen (2001-2006) Discussion topics related to the flagship Lexus LS430

First time Lexus owner delivered from Florida to Tucson today - pls help!

Search this Thread

Old 07-03-11, 07:41 PM
TyBorg
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unhappy First time Lexus owner delivered from Florida to Tucson today - pls help!

Hi all, great site. Reading the stickys and the FAQs, but need some live help as well. Just took delivery off the truck of my 2002 LS430 tonight.

While the LS430 is everything I'd hoped, I'm not exactly happy with my specific car. Bought it from Stellar Autos in Pompano Beach FL. Subwoofer blown, telescopic wheel inoperable, steering wheel woodgrain cracked to bits, nav is version 1.0 from 2001. May paint the car, tons of bumps, bites, and bruises that dealer never listed. Tank was left bone-dry empty, I may run out of gas on way to station. None of this was disclosed, presented as like-new condition in every way. Nice guys.

Anyway, already have Volo v12 chip, Injen intake, Blitz catback on the way. Wanting to upgrade to Azuka Belle 761 20's and Pirelli pZero Nero 245/35, too. Thoughts on repair list? So much of my budget tied up in upgrades, didn't expect paint to be a factor. Any ideas on how to get bang for the buck? I hate the thought of Maaco touching this amazing car.

Thanks for your help!!!
--Ty
Old 07-03-11, 08:18 PM
Jabberwock

Received 205 Likes on 168 Posts

Sorry to hear they scammed you. If it needs paint get a pro level paint job, don't do Maaco, it will ruin the car. A pro level paint job will cost you $4-5k. Or just take the hit and sell it and keep looking for one in better shape..chalk it up to lessons learned.
Old 07-03-11, 08:37 PM
caddyowner
Lead Lap

Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts

Before you spend another dollar on the car, check the service history on Lexus.com and get it professionally inspected. This will give you a clearer idea if you can make a claim against the dealer, need to sell the car and move on, or have a car with good bones that just needs some TLC.

If you do buy another car remotely, please read the hints from those of us who have been down that road before. Good luck.
Old 07-03-11, 09:10 PM
GLIDESUL
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Congrats on your ride. I was told you can never trust a car salesman. A visual inspection is a must when purchasing a used vehicle. Oh yeah pics when you get a chance.
Old 07-04-11, 09:48 AM
ultm8mind
Instructor

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

Well, this sucks for you. Damn, I am about to deal with the same thing, receipt of my vehicle that is. I found a great deal in Texas and am having it delivered to Georgia. I picked up an '04 LS UL in the teens. I am glad for my purchase and anticipate delivery. I hope what you're going through doesn't happen to me.

But to you, does Florida have a "Lemon Law?" Would this be covered under it? It may be, unless the contract stated "As-Is." The only thing that's been bugging me is when I go to buy some stuff off of here, you agree to a price, then the seller says pay the paypal fee, pay shipping, etc. I guess it's a different way of selling stuff here than what I'm used to.
Old 07-04-11, 11:09 AM
caddyowner
Lead Lap

My car was at a BMW dealer in Bellevue, WA - about 1800 miles away. I posted a request here and in the northwest forum and within a few hours had multiple folks volunteer to look at the car. Airtime worked very near the dealership and stopped by the next day, taking about 50 pics which he posted online for me. He also suggested the name of his independent Lexus mechanic where I had the car inspected.

When my car arrived, it had two surprises - a dent in the trunk lid that probably happened in transit or sometime after Airtime saw the car, and the steering wheel radio switches didn't work. However, I know the car wasn't perfect and I just added them to the to-do list. The car, with transport, repair, and body work still came in under my budget.

If someone here inspects a car for you, I suggest you do something for them whether or not you end up buying the car. I was bummed to hear the Hooters in his area was closed, so instead I sent Airtime a gift card from someplace like Applebees.
Old 07-04-11, 12:43 PM
dejavu157
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Dont let Maaco touch it!
Old 07-04-11, 01:16 PM
junjun
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I was in the market for a 04-06 ls430 and I had a very hard time finding one decent, a lot were very beat up and overpriced. It sucks that you weren't given all the details but I wouldn't buy a car unless I could see it in person. As far as paint, I'm in Tucson and there are some really good paint shops here, Vanderpool's and Photofinish. I wouldn't have maaco do it unless you dont really care about the results. If you call Vanderpool's speak to Jason, he also modifies cars and has always done an excellent job on my cars.

ninja edit: both those paint shops are not cheap but paint is never cheap

Last edited by junjun; 07-04-11 at 01:20 PM.
Old 07-04-11, 07:24 PM
warminwisc
Lexus Champion

Received 31 Likes on 28 Posts

Did ya ever think of paying 150 bucks to have it looked at at a lexus dealer and body shop? Did ya expect some little corner car guys to tell the truth? Sorry to hear your delimna but for the added expense of shipping it out to you couldn't you find one in your area?

How many miles where on this sucker and what did ya pay for it?
Old 07-05-11, 05:33 PM
warminwisc
Lexus Champion

I would be interested in a response. If I understand you had a car shipped to you 1500 miles plus away without anyone unbiased looking at it? Is this a comedy act? When do I get the punch line?
Old 07-05-11, 08:13 PM
jimbosr1
Racer

Received 158 Likes on 122 Posts

i must say that i had a mr2 shipped 3000 miles without a inspection but i wasnt spending ls430 money.In my case it was as advertised and it turned out to be a great buy.86 mr2 so not to many left in good shape in the east coast.
Old 07-05-11, 11:53 PM
warminwisc
Lexus Champion

The add is still up for Stellar Motors and the 50 pictures look pristine, perfect, they look like they came out of the Lexus brochure and maybe they did! The steering wheel looks perfect.
Old 07-06-11, 07:41 AM
caddyowner
Lead Lap

As an aside, I do like the BBS wheels on the Black UL they have for sale

http://www.stellarautos.com/detail-2...d-7161750.html
Old 07-06-11, 08:08 AM
ultm8mind
Instructor

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

That is a pretty clean '02 UL....
Old 07-06-11, 08:08 AM
jay33
Rookie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by warminwisc
The add is still up for Stellar Motors and the 50 pictures look pristine, perfect, they look like they came out of the Lexus brochure and maybe they did! The steering wheel looks perfect.
just checked out the pics on their website. can't be the same car that was delivered!

Quick Reply: First time Lexus owner delivered from Florida to Tucson today - pls help!