LS - 3rd Gen (2001-2006) Discussion topics related to the flagship Lexus LS430

Are these cars REALLY that reliable?

Search this Thread

Old 10-18-11, 04:10 PM
warminwisc
Lexus Champion

Received 31 Likes on 28 Posts

Again back to consumer reports. there are many cars with above average ratings on most components. you see the flags on the gizmo's and gadgets, electronics, suspension and overuse items. The japs have like cookie cutter approach to building cars, so many of the parts are simple and used in many models boting but tried and true.

Others items like pop up info systems(MMI by Audi, I drive by BMW) turbo chargers, all wheel drive, just have alot of moving parts stay away or pay up. Body integrity is also a highly flagged item as plastic is used to save weight for fuel economy. I have high expectations even with weather, high mileage and such my 98 accord had 150k when I sold it no problems besides an 125 dollar ignition module. 96 Bonneville nothing major to 175k my neighbor drove it to 225. The LS I see wheel bearings, o 2 sensors and he other stuff is luxury items, stay away if the cost benefit bums ya out.
Old 10-21-11, 10:38 PM
xsbc63x
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

[QUOTEalso as a Mechanic I can tell you that the Lexus LS series is the eeeeasiest most common sense vehicles I have ever worked on. I would have no quaroms tearing one of these powertrains down and rebuilding them, However I have the piece of mind that I will never have to.[/QUOTE]

as a mechanic i second this, the engineers really must look at the mechanics when they build these cars, because of the few things i have had to do on my 05, it really has been the easiest vehicle I have worked on yet!
Old 10-23-11, 05:54 AM
sojah
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by warminwisc
Again back to consumer reports. there are many cars with above average ratings on most components. you see the flags on the gizmo's and gadgets, electronics, suspension and overuse items. The japs have like cookie cutter approach to building cars, so many of the parts are simple and used in many models boting but tried and true.
Just putting this out there so that you are aware in a friendly forum such as this so that you don't do this unintentionally in real life,, ahh who am i kidding we both know that there are no japanese people in wisconsin since my wife last visited.

saying japs when referring to a japanese is like saying coons when referring to a black person not the harshest thing you could call them but it will definitely take any conversation to that next uncomfortable level

i've noticed that a lot of aussies say it and it seems to be acceptable down there for some reason and seems to be engraved in their vocabulary; but who am i to judge...

Last edited by sojah; 10-23-11 at 05:57 AM.
Old 10-23-11, 08:01 AM
warminwisc
Lexus Champion

I apologize if I offended anyone. I do not call black people "coons" and I guess I will not call Australian people "Aussies" though we do have black and Aussie people here in Wisconsin I usually just call friends. I am not sure your comment "who am I kidding we both know that there are no Japanese people in Wisconsin since my wife last visited" was meant as harmlessly intended as my comments where as I have not a clue what ya meant.

I do again whole heartedly apologize. It was only a connotation for Japanese people nothing else so I could type less. I used to drive past the Manzanar camps Memorial on 395 in CA and pray each and every time for the injustices that occurred. My fathers best man is Japanese and I deeply respect their commitment to family and tradition lost here in the states and I have no negative feelings whatsoever to the Japanese people.

I am Polish though and for the record you can call me a "Pol" or a yank. As we have our boys dying overseas, and our politicians with unlimited campaign accounts and no terms limits I usually worry about other
things than what I am called, no offense. I will never abbreviate a people on a forum again and I do not plan on commenting on this again so there will be no hot thread. I understand your point and when I think about it does using ______ have more of a negative meaning than Aussie( which I hear sports commentators use on TV) because of the war I guess.
Old 10-23-11, 08:18 AM
warminwisc
Lexus Champion

Sorry I missed this I do consider calling a black person a "coon" a harsh thing very harsh for what they indured also. When everything is open to interpretation how can you forbid the use one abbreviated name for a nationality and use it for another i.e. Australian and Aussies? Good day
Old 10-24-11, 05:06 AM
sojah
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

sorry for any confusions, i was saying that in australia (got some extended family there too) the aussies say japs a lot is all.

i brought up something similar like this at my work about another co-worker negatively referring to hispanics unknowlingly and now this co-worker always apologizes to me and thinks i'm like half mexican or something.

i don't care if you use these words or anyone else for that matter, i just want people to know the exact connotation these words have in today's society, and i like when people point this out to me as well.

the WI thing was a joke cuz every time we are in WI we play spot the asian and the only time either of us saw one was at the airport in Madison. I think WI is a great place but a little too cold 6 months out of the year for me which is why we usually go in like May or late August. I have a bunch of grandparents and distant cousins that live up there in and around New Glarus.

Last edited by sojah; 10-24-11 at 05:17 AM.
Old 10-27-11, 10:23 AM
LEXUSGUY03
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I purchased my 01 LS430 back in May, Ive put on around 15,000 miles so far and i have not had a single issue except for the mirrors. These vehicles seem very reliable
Old 10-27-11, 04:49 PM
warminwisc
Lexus Champion

Lexusguy, Sorry our Packers beat the Vikes. Looks like ya got a good QB and can put those ol geezers in yur past!!