LS - 3rd Gen (2001-2006) Discussion topics related to the flagship Lexus LS430

Window tinted, but the passenger side mirror broken

Search this Thread

Old 07-25-11, 02:47 PM
lovelexus2
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Window tinted, but the passenger side mirror broken

I had my car tinted last week, but when I pick up the car, noticed that the right side mirror was loose, when drive it will go in and out, stopped the car, touch the mirror, it is total loose, the motor will run when try to fold it, but the mirror is just hanging. went back to the tint shop, they claimed that they didn't touch the mirrow when did the tint job, bla, bla....

checked the ebay, couldn't find any black morrow(02, LS430), called dealer, cost like $500, geeee

where else could I find used one to replace it? Thanks

Last edited by lovelexus2; 07-25-11 at 02:56 PM. Reason: spelling
Old 07-25-11, 04:47 PM
caddyowner
Lead Lap

Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts

Get a quote for repair at the dealership and present the bill to the owner of the tint shop.
Consider small claims court.
I don't know if disputing the credit card payment for the tint job (assuming you paid that way) will gain you any leverage.
Old 07-26-11, 07:53 AM
lovelexus2
Rookie

I did call the owner of the tint shop, and they keep saying that their worker didn't touch the mirror, and arguely saying not sure if this is just breaking down because it is an older car and anything can happen anytime.
Old 07-26-11, 09:19 AM
caddyowner
Lead Lap

Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts

I'll bet someone walked into the mirror while the car was in their shop. I would at least try to reason with them and get them to pick up half the cost. (assuming it worked OK when you dropped it off) They don't really want the bad press in online forums you frequent.

I used to have a GMC Sierra Denali pickup with quadrasteer. When I picked the truck up from service, the mirrors were regularly pointed down because some driver was watching the rear wheels turn while driving.
Old 07-26-11, 08:40 PM
Jabberwock

Received 205 Likes on 168 Posts

You have minimal leverage if the owner denies any responsibility. You can't prove they damaged the mirror and the owner or manager may believe that they honestly did not damage it. Maybe the shop worker that broke it accidentally told the owner he did not touch it.

You have very minimal leverage so I suggest you appeal to the owner's sense of fairness instead. Have the conversation with him in private and talk about how the mirror did not break itself. Admit that there is no way to prove what happened but you are 100% sure the mirror was not broken when you brought it in, and that it was 100% broken when you picked the car up. If he doesn't agree to pay the repair, ask him to meet you half way on repair cost, or ask him to comp the tint job or ask for a sizable discount/rebate on the tint job instead of asking for mirror repair cost.

If you are 110% certain they broke it and you used a credit card you can ask the card company to do a charge back based on faulty repair of your car. Implied in the basic commercial contract where you paid them for a tint job is the requirement that they not damage your car. If they damaged your car then you did not get the service you contracted and paid for with a credit card. Don't threaten to do it during negotiation, and only do it as an absolute last resort if the owner absolutely refuses to negotiate. Just remember you have to be certain they broke the mirror.
Old 07-28-11, 03:40 PM
lovelexus2
Rookie

Thanks for the great advise, that is what I did to the owner of the tint shop, and he seems pretty reasonable, but when I mentioned that if fix by dealer, the mirror itself cost like $500, he didn't say he would pay for the half. but I told him i would check online to see if I can find some better deal, then I would call him and let him know. I have done some search, but no where luck to find a good used one. The dealer might be my last option. I have not called the ship owner yet, wondering if he would pay for half of it.