LS - 3rd Gen (2001-2006) Discussion topics related to the flagship Lexus LS430

Maximum Wheel Width on 3rd Gen LS430? ('04 - '06)

Search this Thread

Old 08-04-11, 03:42 PM
04_LS_430R
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Maximum Wheel Width on 3rd Gen LS430? ('04 - '06)

Ok so I've searched the forum pretty hard and I see lots of different opinions about wheels and tires, and I also see lots of different tire and wheel set ups. (Stretching, tucking, fat tire set up, etc.) Here's the question I'm going to shoot out to all the pros (in other words, those of you who have already put in the experience... however, I'm a little concerned that maybe this is a highly guarded secret by many in the VIP scene.) I'm curious to know what the maximum wheel width you can go with out any major fender mods. (To be precise... let's say rolling or shaving the fenders at max - not actually pulling or stretching the fenders.) With that in mind, my question is how wide of a wheel can you go on the front and rear if all you do is shave or roll the fenders on your LS? Also curious to know the offset specs, whether or not you're using spacers or not, and any other wheel related input you can think of.

Keep in mind that this is with only shaving or rolling fenders, considering it is lowered, and with or without tire stretching... no adjusting the camber, just keeping it mostly factory suspension with the exception of coilovers or lowering springs.

Let the opinions, insight, comments, and conversation begin....

Lastly, thank you all for any input. I'm certain there are many on here who have often wondered the same thing when shopping or searching for wheels.
The following users liked this post:
GSdre (05-25-20)
Old 08-04-11, 04:05 PM
ultm8mind
Instructor

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

I have a UL and just bought the datasystems controller. I think I am going with a 20x9.5 and 20x10.5 set up. I feel the same as you with no major mods to the fender. I have been polling many "in the know" and I think that is what I came up with. I think that'll be stretching tires a little though. I've been told 19's will get you lower too by some people but I like 20's more. For you without stretching I'd say like a 9/10in set-up?? Maybe....
Old 08-04-11, 05:06 PM
HiloDB1
Lexus Test Driver

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Im running 20x10 and 20x11 with shaved rear fenders. Its in the offset if you want it to fit (to an extent).
Old 08-05-11, 07:39 AM
04_LS_430R
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by ultm8mind
I have a UL and just bought the datasystems controller. I think I am going with a 20x9.5 and 20x10.5 set up. I feel the same as you with no major mods to the fender. I have been polling many "in the know" and I think that is what I came up with. I think that'll be stretching tires a little though. I've been told 19's will get you lower too by some people but I like 20's more. For you without stretching I'd say like a 9/10in set-up?? Maybe....
I like the 9/10/5 set up but I was hoping I could go with an 11" rear wheel... just not sure what modifications I would need.

Originally Posted by HiloDB1
Im running 20x10 and 20x11 with shaved rear fenders. Its in the offset if you want it to fit (to an extent).
That's what I'm wanting to do... do you mind telling me what mods you did to your fenders and what offsets you're running? (Again, I realize that many people hold this information hostage so I understand if not, but thanks for the input.)
Old 08-05-11, 09:02 AM
sojah
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

copied directly from the thread linked below, this is the best info i can offer:

BTW this offset calculator is really helpful to me

http://www.1010tires.com/wheeloffsetcalculator.asp

also the tire one just in case too:

http://www.1010tires.com/tiresizecalculator.asp

this is all the info on the offset i am able to share for our ls430's:

without rolling fenders lowered on coilovers i guess around +25 with a stretched tire (like a 245x30x20 or 255x30x20). with rolled rear fenders then around +20 with shaved rear fenders around +15 all with the same size rear tires and on a 10" wide rear rim. give or take a few mm but i know i can't be that far off. with a mild pull of the rear fender around 10mm and the longer than stock rear arms adding more negative camber you could run a 0 or -5mm if you were on a 245x30x20 on a 20x10" rear rim. all these specs would be very flush with the tire up agains the fender all close like

please let me know if anyone else has a different opinion or real world knowledge...

*****my closest comparison would be right now i am sitting at a +20 offset (super flush in the rear) on a 20x10 255x30x20 with 5mm shorter rear arms and a shaved rear fender. so if i ran the 5mm longer than stock rear arm that would be a difference of 10mm right there so a +10 offset, and with a fender pull of around 10mm i could run a 0 offset at that point on a 255x30x20 20x10", so on a 245x30x20 you could run what a -5 or such negative offset. if you wanted to pull the fenders more than you could run more negative. good luck*****

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/ls4...02-offset.html

this link has the pics and other peoples opinions too ^ ^ ^...

Last edited by sojah; 08-05-11 at 09:42 AM.
Old 08-05-11, 09:10 AM
sojah
Lead Lap

you could run a 20x10 +10 on a 245x30x20 with a shaved rear fender. ** may have to change out to the 5mm longer than stock rear arms though to be 100% sure but i know a 20x10+15 offset will fit with no rubbing with a 245x30x20 with shaved rear fenders and tucking the tire some. to get specs for any other than a 10" rear rim use the offset calculator linked above to determine your width and offset that is equal...
Old 08-05-11, 12:12 PM
ultm8mind
Instructor

Good info and links sojah, thanks for the help thus far bro. I'll definitely keep checking this to see if anyone else chimes in.
Old 08-05-11, 12:46 PM
Mr.Doback
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I can't remember his name on CL, but the most aggressive I have seen with roller pull was with these specs:

20x10 et 0
20x12 et 0

With datasystem and what looks to be almost stock camber, but dont quote me on the camber.

I just recently test fitted a 10 et -1 SLO, all it would need is a roll and i am at -4* of camber naturally in the rear.

The next question is...are you on air or coilovers?
Old 08-05-11, 02:02 PM
sojah
Lead Lap

^ ^ ^ @ Mr. doback, are you on air or coils, cuz that is pretty aggressive to me? what is your tire size? so with just a roll you can fit that size. i'm pretty damn low on a static drop with the 5mm shorter arms in the rear and i would never be able to fit that rim with just about any size tire...

with 12 in the rear and a 0 offset he must have yanked the hell out of the fenders, had longer arms than stock, and ran a super stretched tire... ahh but only the controller so he was obviously driving a lot higher than something in between a 9 and L on the controller. i used to have the controller and what i presently am at with a static drop is a little more low than the 9 setting, possibly a 10 if you will, and not much higher than L maybe an inch to 1.5 inches higher.
Old 08-05-11, 02:03 PM
ultm8mind
Instructor

I'm going to be on a DataSystems Controller (04 LS430UL) and the rim/tire combo I'm looking at is a 20x9.5 +13 front with 225/35/20 and a 20x10.5 +20 245/35/20, not sure how this will work any input?
Old 08-05-11, 02:06 PM
sojah
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by ultm8mind
I'm going to be on a DataSystems Controller (04 LS430UL) and the rim/tire combo I'm looking at is a 20x9.5 +13 front with 225/35/20 and a 20x10.5 +20 245/35/20, not sure how this will work any input?
you will be perfect in the rear with a shave and those specs ^ ^ ^, but i'm telling you man the front is gonna scrape if you drive anywhere as close to as low as i do, and then try to turn

so as i mentioned i drive low, sort of like a 10 setting on the controller (if it had one), but my suspension is a lot stiffer than yours, so shorter travel. i just used the 1010 wheel offset calculator and your fronts will stick out 23mm more than mines do with a 225x35x20 (which is what i am running now), and i have loads of scrape marks, a dimple in the front right fender, chunks of missing tire parts (from the razor sharp shaved fender digging into the tire).

i would love to see if you can even safely put the car/controller into L mode without scraping the wheel on the fender since these will stick out .9" farther than mines... its gonna be interesting that's for sure. you will have to drive it on like the 6 setting on the controller.

Last edited by sojah; 08-05-11 at 02:12 PM.
Old 08-05-11, 02:29 PM
Mr.Doback
Driver

here is his car with 10 and 12...hopefully he will see the thread and chime in a bit more, if he is running different arms, but looking at it, it doesnt seem as such. If i remember reading his thread, he just used a roller for the rear to pull it out.

I am static on bc's...the rears are completely maxxed out including perches all the way down, fronts are all the way down, not touching preload...still need to decide if I am going to cut shocktower or not...it just bangs a lot right now.
Old 08-05-11, 02:33 PM
sojah
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by Mr.Doback

I am static on bc's...the rears are completely maxxed out including perches all the way down, fronts are all the way down, not touching preload...still need to decide if I am going to cut shocktower or not...it just bangs a lot right now.
how the F are you running so low? on a 20x10" -1, or you said you just test fitted this size? what is your normal daily wheel spec and tire?
Old 08-05-11, 03:40 PM
Mr.Doback
Driver

Originally Posted by sojah
how the F are you running so low? on a 20x10" -1, or you said you just test fitted this size? what is your normal daily wheel spec and tire?
Noooooo! The 20x10 and 12 setup is not mine, I just forget his name on here, he has datasystem.

The wheels i fitted where 18x10 -1 S-Lo disk, I would run that but the frame is just a hair too low for how often and far I drive everyday. I might try it though. 20's are a hair too big for me static, if I was on air I would consider...but in all honesty I would run 18s on air to lay frame with ease.

I am dailying on the stock 17s with 55 series tires until I find/build/save for the wheels I want. :/
Old 08-05-11, 03:50 PM
sojah
Lead Lap

Sounds pretty decent, I drove for a year with the controller and then added the ss kit for the last few months on 19's slammed on setting 9 with the ss kit and on low pros and it was low. I think 20's fill the wheel well perfectly, but 19's look damn good with it slammed and with a nice offset.

Quick Reply: Maximum Wheel Width on 3rd Gen LS430? ('04 - '06)