LS - 3rd Gen (2001-2006) Discussion topics related to the flagship Lexus LS430

My first LS430 and 6 months of ownership

Search this Thread

Old 08-04-11, 09:27 PM
ngk
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default My first LS430 and 6 months of ownership

I've been lurking for a while and decided to jump in. This is my first Lexus and I had been looking for a luxury sedan upgrade for a while. Other sedans in the running were LS400, G35x, 540i E39, E430, A6/A8, TL. While I loved the idea of getting German engineered machine I couldn't bring myself to buy one out of warranty, especially the Audis. G35x and TL were very nice but are 'near-lux'. TL had FWD going against it. So it was G35x vs LS400/LS430. I ended up getting this 2001 LS430 because it was an absolute steal even with 120k.

The original owner kept it in excellent shape and service was up to date except the 120k service which includes the spark plugs. I believe it's just the base model with ML. The only thing I would have wanted was the back up sensors but I'm happy with this configuration because there are less things to break.

Having owned it for 6 months I think I'm a LS430 lifer. Talk about being spoiled! Keep in mind that I'm coming from a 1999 Kia Sephia (wife's original car) so anything is an improvement!

A few thoughts:
  • Excellent power for such a large car. I love the understated surge of the V8 coupled with the unflappable smoothness. I've gotten a few grins from outpacing other cars with this 'grandpa' mobile.
  • The quietest car I've ever been in. Some people hate the lack of visceral connection to the road but the serenity is unmatched. Coupled with the sublime stereo system it's impossible for me to get angry in the car. I figure if I'm going to go luxury I go all the way.
  • Speaking of the ML system, I think it's awesome. If I bought another car I was going to get a JBL MS-8 installed but I don't need it with the ML. It actually shifted my preference in music from primarily urban to more vocal and acoustic music to enjoy the music. I've got some Eric Clapton and John Legend in the 6-changer.
  • It's the little things that make it so enjoyable. Puddle lamps, various cubbies, hide-away cupholder, retracting wood steering wheel, strong brakes.
  • Millenium Silver paint is ageless. It's a 10 year old car with chips and dings but from 10 feet away it looks flawless. I spent an afternoon waxing it and I don't think I improved it much.
  • I freak about door dings now. I swear I park an extra 20 feet away to keep the slab side pure. Unfortunately I'm up to 4 dings because I had to park in a parking garage for 2 weeks. Grrrr.
  • It's the "go to" weekend car and the kids live like kings in the back seat.

Life with the LS has mostly been a joy save for a couple incidents.

A woman swiped it parallel parking but fortunately she left a note and insurance too care of it. It was just the left rear bumper but the cost came out to $1600!

I took it to the dealership for the 125k service and got the good, bad, and ugly. The service came out to $134, which was essentially a glorified oil change and tire rotation. Two hours and several donuts and cups of coffee later it was done, they did help adjust the parking brake but they had to "look at another LS in the shop to see why the brake wasn't engaging". Two days later the LS overheats! I check the coolant tank. Empty. I check the washer fluid. Empty. Statement says it includes 'topping of all fluids'. Apparently coolant and washer aren't 'fluids'. I send a e-mail to service consultant vowing not to return. Long story short they got me valet service, loaner, flushed the radiator, cleaned the radiator fins, and I'm good to go.

I appreciate that they did the right thing afterwards but disappointed that it had to come to that. I think the quick lube places are more diligent about performing services, possibly because you can actually see them working on your car.

Anyway, glad to join the club of LS owners. I'm hoping to keep it for 10 more years!

Here are some pics of the 'Big Cat'.

Old 08-04-11, 09:32 PM
willhickey
Lexus Test Driver

i love your ride how much does something like this cost? i wish my wife would let me upgrade the 90 ls400 we have
Old 08-04-11, 10:09 PM
GLIDESUL
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Nice clean buy welcome to the club and enjoy that ride.
Old 08-04-11, 10:21 PM
ngk
Driver School Candidate

I've seen them run from 10k-16k for '01-'03 models. The '04-'06 models go up to 22k. I really liked the '04 but it was out of my price range. If you get a newer model you should keep the '90 because it's the model that started it all.
Old 08-05-11, 06:00 AM
caddyowner
Lead Lap

Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts

Welcome! I think you've pretty well summarized my first 18 months with my 05 LS. BTW, pricing on the 04-06 can be into the mid-$30s for low mileage, CPO cars.
Old 08-05-11, 06:08 AM
votru
Lead Lap

Welcome to LS family, beautiful car in pretty good condition .
Old 08-05-11, 09:06 AM
LSGarry
Pole Position

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Welcome to CL and nice looking ride. I say that cause we have the same exact color combo with tints too. I think the Millenium silver is a great color and was disappointed when they went to a newer silver with the '04 models. It doesn't have the same "life" as the Millenium does.
I too enjoy the ML stereo and have no complaints about it. Others do and it may be because I went to too many Led Zeppelin concerts when I was a kid and my ears are shot but I find the sound very sweet.
Regarding dings...we all hate them and I put a 3M clear bra on the front end to protect it from road rash. After 3 years it has been very helpful and you can barely see it on the Millenium color.
I went with LED tail lights and got rid of the amber color. The LED's have a white insert (like the '04-'06) and really freshen up the look. Easy swap out.
Your interior taupe color around the steering wheel and trans shifter look good especially after 120 K. Mine only has 113K but the taupe color around both areas is peeling/wearing away to show the black color underneath and it bugs me but it is what it is.
Anyway, enjoy your LS as it really is an impressive unit.
Old 08-05-11, 09:22 AM
99LSBrad
Pit Crew

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

I've had mine for 13 months, and I have not once been sorry that I took the plunge. Just an excellent car all around.

Congrats on your purchase. You made the right choice.
Old 08-05-11, 09:26 AM
Jabberwock

Received 205 Likes on 168 Posts

Great looking car - they look really good in silver with chrome. You don't have to live with dings - most used car lots have ding guys that work in the lot once a week. Visit at that time and they can take the dings out quick and for pretty cheap. There are also brick and mortar ding shops that specialize - a little more expensive but they typically do very good work also.
Old 08-05-11, 10:06 AM
ngk
Driver School Candidate

Thanks for the compliments.

@LSGarry: Greatness loves company, haha! I was surprised how good the condition was for the age. There are some cracks in the leather on the driver side but ever where else is buttery smooth. This is the benefit of having an **** prior owner. It came with the clear bra on the front and mirrors, lucky me. I do like the newer tail lamps. How much do those go for?

@Jabberwock: Good tip on the ding repair. I've seen estimates for $100 for the first and $50 addl for same panel dings. Before the LS I was never a fan of chrome wheels but it really is the best wheel for Millenium Silver, it adds a notch of class. The only replacement I would consider would be the '04 18" 5 spoke chrome wheels. But for some reason I think it doesn't look right without the '04 head lamps.

The only changes I think I'll be making in the coming months are doing a front rotor/pad change (I had some major warping during my descent from Dillon, CO) and possibly changing out the cd change for a single DIN head unit to get MP3, satellite, and bluetooth capabilities. On the second point I'll probably end up cheaping out and getting a tape adapter for my Droid.
Old 08-05-11, 03:21 PM
LSGarry
Pole Position

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

"@LSGarry: Greatness loves company, haha! I was surprised how good the condition was for the age. There are some cracks in the leather on the driver side but ever where else is buttery smooth. This is the benefit of having an **** prior owner. It came with the clear bra on the front and mirrors, lucky me. I do like the newer tail lamps. How much do those go for?"

Try this link for the LED info. I got mine about 3 yrs ago and don't know if Option racing is still offering them but do a search and more than likely someone is.
Old 08-05-11, 09:00 PM
Bocatrip
Lead Lap

Received 279 Likes on 235 Posts

Nice car NGK and very close to my ride. The only difference is my car has the grey interior, no chrome wheels, and slightly less miles now 104K. I actually wanted a white car but settled for the silver as it did have the grey interior with Nav which was absolutely necessary for my work. Would you mind telling us how much your car set you back?
Old 08-05-11, 10:00 PM
Bnastyy
Lead Lap

Welcome and clean ls
Old 08-05-11, 10:21 PM
ngk
Driver School Candidate

@Bocatrip: I'm really falling for this color combo. It's clean and crisp. My ideal combo is black with saddle leather. I was actually looking at a GS300 SportDesign but decided it was a bit underpowered for the platform. Also with the amount of sun/heat in Colorado a black car is too hot for my liking.

I was extremely fortunate and found it on Craigslist for the single day it was posted (persistence/obsession pays). The broker pulled it and was going to sell it to another dealer but I got it for 9,750 and had him add tint and snows before delivery. I am convinced that there's no better car I could have purchased for the money.

Also, for anyone out there, how do I tell if I have the Sport package or not?

Last edited by ngk; 08-05-11 at 10:21 PM. Reason: grammar
Old 08-05-11, 10:50 PM
ViPCeo
Lead Lap

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Welcome, looking flawless for a 2001, i got a 2002 mil. sil. also....

Quick Reply: My first LS430 and 6 months of ownership