LS - 3rd Gen (2001-2006) Discussion topics related to the flagship Lexus LS430

I thought it was a blown fuse, but oh no...much worse, I fear.

Search this Thread

Old 09-06-11, 07:00 PM
LANewsboy
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default I thought it was a blown fuse, but oh no...much worse, I fear.

Hi guys...

A couple of days ago my key fob wouldn't unlock the doors of my 2001 LS. I tried with a second fob. No luck.

After a little more experimenting, I found I couldn't operate the locks or windows from the driver's side controls. I can operate the driver's window.

And the side mirror controls don't work, neither do the gas door release button, or the trunk release button.

I figured it was a blown fuse, but all seemed OK when I checked. So I had my mechanic look at it. No luck. Fuses were fine.

He said there's what he called a "mini-computer" under the fuse box on the left side of the trunk. He thinks that could be the problem. But he doesn't want to order the part and do the work because Lexus won't take the part back if it's not the problem.

So he reluctantly sent me off to the dealer.

Couple of questions for this great board:

Has anyone ever dealt with this problem--a mini-computer or circuit board in the left trunk?

What do you think the chances are that my local Toyota dealer could do the work?

Thanks for any and all suggestions.
Old 09-06-11, 08:13 PM
Dragking91
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I think it would be best for you to bring it to the dealer as you don't want to buy the part and end up not fixing the right problem. Bring the car to both Lexus and Toyota dealers, 90% of the time Toyota will be able to do it and for a much better price.
Old 09-06-11, 08:51 PM
Bon
Advanced

Received 23 Likes on 17 Posts

It it's a long shot why not remove the battery for a while and then reconnect on the chance that it will reset the computer? Good luck!
Old 09-06-11, 09:04 PM
V8_Fan
Racer

Received 37 Likes on 28 Posts

In CA, most Toyota dealers won't touch Lexus vehicles and vice-versa.
Old 09-08-11, 06:55 PM
sigers98
Driver

Received 10 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by LANewsboy
Hi guys...

A couple of days ago my key fob wouldn't unlock the doors of my 2001 LS. I tried with a second fob. No luck.

After a little more experimenting, I found I couldn't operate the locks or windows from the driver's side controls. I can operate the driver's window.

And the side mirror controls don't work, neither do the gas door release button, or the trunk release button.

I figured it was a blown fuse, but all seemed OK when I checked. So I had my mechanic look at it. No luck. Fuses were fine.

He said there's what he called a "mini-computer" under the fuse box on the left side of the trunk. He thinks that could be the problem. But he doesn't want to order the part and do the work because Lexus won't take the part back if it's not the problem.

So he reluctantly sent me off to the dealer.

Couple of questions for this great board:

Has anyone ever dealt with this problem--a mini-computer or circuit board in the left trunk?

What do you think the chances are that my local Toyota dealer could do the work?

Thanks for any and all suggestions.
i had same problem, i think he called a body sensor, it was also about $300-400 price.
Old 09-08-11, 08:45 PM
LANewsboy
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Update, and thanks

Thanks, guys, for all the advice.

Here's where I stand:

I did find a Toyota dealer in Long Beach who would work on my Lexus. Service guy says they work on a lot of them.

However, he doesn't have access to a wiring schematic and would just have to troubleshoot the problem without much to go on.

The service tech at Westminster Lexus was very helpful and said they would give me a loaner while the car is in their shop. Their diagnostic charge is $189. Now that I know it's something called a "body sensor," (thanks!) that might help speed things up.

Now, I'm just coping with having to unlock doors and trunk by hand--like the old days!

Thanks again for the help.