New to me 03 Lexus LS 430

Search this Thread

Old 09-13-11, 06:09 PM
smm3
Driver

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
Default New to me 03 Lexus LS 430

Hello everyone.

I just purchased an 03 Lexus LS 430. I have been looking on the forum for advice and things to watch for when buying a used LS. I really appreciate all the help.

I found it after searching for about 2 months. I was also trying to get rid of an 05 ES 330. I thought it was a terrible car...that's another story altogether. I digress...

Anyways I found it in Houston at Lexus of Clear Lake. They gave me decent money for the ES. It has 124K miles on it. Silver with grey leather. It has heated and cooled seats so I assume that is the Premium trim??

Timing belt and WP have not been done but the car has a good service history otherwise. I am the 3rd owner. the second owner had it from 40-123K miles and traded it there. I paid 13.8 out the door. Was high but the car was in good shape so to me it was worth it...plus I got to unload the ES!!

Overall, I am happy with the purchase. There was a good gash on the front bumper that they didn't disclose to me. Pic for review. It wasn't a deal killer though. I had driven 7 hours to get it.

Car drives great. My mom had an 05 and this drives ever bit as nice as that one did.
Old 09-13-11, 06:12 PM
ThomasGS4
Lexus Test Driver

Received 381 Likes on 224 Posts

Congrats on the buy! Pics?
Old 09-13-11, 06:17 PM
smm3
Driver

Here are a few pics. Had to resize them
Attached Thumbnails New to me 03 Lexus LS 430-2003-lexus-ls-003.jpg   New to me 03 Lexus LS 430-2003-lexus-ls-009.jpg   New to me 03 Lexus LS 430-2003-lexus-ls-013.jpg   New to me 03 Lexus LS 430-2003-lexus-ls-024.jpg   New to me 03 Lexus LS 430-2003-lexus-ls-016.jpg  

Old 09-13-11, 06:19 PM
smm3
Driver

Originally Posted by ThomasGS4
Congrats on the buy! Pics?
Thanks. Just added a few
Old 09-13-11, 06:23 PM
smm3
Driver

The folding mirrors work and the telescopic wheel works. Those were the 2 main items I wanted to be sure that worked. The mirror contacts need to be cleaned at the switch. the mirrors tilt during reverse but the switch just works intermittently.

Timing belt and water pump will be done in another week or so. Have a great Lexus independent that does all the work on my cars. Just handles Toyota and Lexus. 710 for timing belt and water pump. He is gonna give it a good look over too to see about anything else that might need attention at that time.
Old 09-13-11, 07:01 PM
parkerjs
Pit Crew

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Congratulations on your purchase... that's a great looking LS. Mine too is silver, so I might be a little biased since I happen to think the silver looks especially good.
Old 09-13-11, 07:09 PM
Bocatrip
Lead Lap

Received 274 Likes on 231 Posts

Congrats on your car. Mine looks exactly like yours down to the interior color. I have the Nav/ML but no butt cooler. $710 for the timing belt plus water pump sounds like a great price. Make sure they only use OEM parts. Did you check out your subwoofer and all the speakers? Tires and Brakes? Was that price you paid including your trade?
Old 09-13-11, 08:51 PM
smm3
Driver

Originally Posted by parkerjs
Congratulations on your purchase... that's a great looking LS. Mine too is silver, so I might be a little biased since I happen to think the silver looks especially good.
Thanks. Silver was on the top of my list since it doesn't show dirt nearly as much as the other colors. I have a white Land Cruiser and I can't keep it clean...
Old 09-13-11, 08:57 PM
smm3
Driver

Originally Posted by Bocatrip
Congrats on your car. Mine looks exactly like yours down to the interior color. I have the Nav/ML but no butt cooler. $710 for the timing belt plus water pump sounds like a great price. Make sure they only use OEM parts. Did you check out your subwoofer and all the speakers? Tires and Brakes? Was that price you paid including your trade?
The Lexus guy only uses OEM parts. Honest mechanic. I have to make an appt 3 weeks in in advance just to get an oil change. He also services my Land Cruiser. I was changing out my starter on the LC and I called him with a question. He spent 10 minutes on the phone helping me. Never shoots me wrong. They are a dying breed for sure!

Tires are almost new. Don't know about the brakes. Just figured I would change them myself. the sub doesn't appear to be blown and there is not crackling through any of the speakers. Fingers crossed on that though.

I paid the difference of my trade and the sales price. Cost me about 2200. I was so ready to get rid of that ES, I was happy to pay them!

First mods for me will be the USA SPEC ipod integration and a Parrot Bluetooth. Haven't been able to find out if I can run both at the same time though. Have an email into Parrot and USA SPEC to find out.....
Old 09-14-11, 02:40 AM
caddyowner
Lead Lap

Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts

Congrats on the new ride.
Old 09-14-11, 05:35 AM
99LSBrad
Pit Crew

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

You won't be sorry. I have an 03 as well and it is by far the best car I've ever owned. Also had an 02 ES, and leased an 07 ES. This car blows them both out of the water. (especially the 07)

Enjoy!
Old 09-14-11, 07:05 AM
CarGuy89
Lexus Test Driver

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Very nice pickup! Looks extremely clean and well-kept. Enjoy the new ride!
Old 09-14-11, 08:13 AM
jay33
Rookie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by smm3
The folding mirrors work and the telescopic wheel works. Those were the 2 main items I wanted to be sure that worked. The mirror contacts need to be cleaned at the switch. the mirrors tilt during reverse but the switch just works intermittently.

Timing belt and water pump will be done in another week or so. Have a great Lexus independent that does all the work on my cars. Just handles Toyota and Lexus. 710 for timing belt and water pump. He is gonna give it a good look over too to see about anything else that might need attention at that time.
$710 for just the timing belt and water pump is not a great price. Just had mine done at the local toyota dealer for $450
Old 09-14-11, 08:15 AM
smm3
Driver

Originally Posted by caddyowner
Congrats on the new ride.
Thanks....and thanks again for the advice when I was looking for this one.
Old 09-14-11, 08:18 AM
smm3
Driver

Originally Posted by CarGuy89
Very nice pickup! Looks extremely clean and well-kept. Enjoy the new ride!
It was well kept. I have thought about getting the front bumper cover resprayed just to clean up the scuff on the lower section. It does have a fair amount of rock chips on the cover too. Not easy to see in pics until you get really close. I really cant complain about the car at all though.

Its almost impossible to believe it is an 03. It is so solid and quiet. So much smoother than the ES. Its built like a tank!

Quick Reply: New to me 03 Lexus LS 430