LS - 3rd Gen (2001-2006) Discussion topics related to the flagship Lexus LS430

Everything (electrical) is going wrong

Search this Thread

Old 10-07-11, 01:50 PM
Lust4Lexus
Advanced

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

WOW! my battery just but the bullet! Went to start her up and clickclickclick- and some moaning sound coming from the dashboard. On my way to Autozone for a new battery- thats all that I have available to me at the moment. 100 bucks duralast made by johnson controls, 3yr replacement/8year warranty. Not bad for the original battery in an 05....better now then in January.
Old 10-07-11, 05:25 PM
Lust4Lexus
Advanced

So I just put the new Duralast gold battery in my car. Very simple. The duralast seemed to be much heavier than the panasonic battery. The only thing is that the battery did not fit the factory sleeve that went over the panasonic battery too well, so it has some buldging issues. And it is yellow , yuck....Call me nuts, but It ruins the flow of the engine compartment. This battery has 750 Cold cranking amps and 935 cranking amps. Does anyone know what the stock panasonic one is?HA! Nevertheless, the car starts like hell fire. with an authority that my car has never had before, It seems to crank about 1/3 less now then it did, even when my battery was still "good". Did I mention it was an ugly yellow?

Last edited by Lust4Lexus; 10-07-11 at 05:41 PM.
Old 11-03-11, 01:53 PM
94LSon20
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Still having the issue..due to my lack of being proactive to have it fixed. I think I've narrowed it down to my AC clutch. I've had the a/c off for a few days due to the nice weather here in south FL and it hasnt come up again. We will see...
Old 11-03-11, 06:09 PM
BNR34
Lexus Fanatic

Received 26 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by caddyowner
I've had the opposite experience. I've used WM batteries in a couple cars and my tractor with good success. I read that there are a very limited number of battery makers and most battery brands simply relabel batteries from these manufacturers - sometimes mixing or changing which manufacturer makes their batteries. Due to their sales volume and efficient distribution, WM batteries supposedly spend less time aging on the shelf between manufacture and use.
Agreed 100%

This apply to a tons of things in this world, most things are the same across all brands........from walmart to some exotic brand, the only differences is the case and label
Old 11-09-11, 06:15 AM
94LSon20
Driver

UPDATE: PROBLEM (NOT) SOLVED.

After going under the hood to replace my tensioner pulley (you have to remove the alternator as well) I found out the grounding wire from the alternator to the frame was loose. Tightened it up & all of my problems are gone. No more a/c problems, rough idle, pulsating dash/high beam lights. Hope this helps anyone whose having similar problems.

Last edited by 94LSon20; 11-09-11 at 09:53 AM.
Old 11-09-11, 09:15 AM
BNR34
Lexus Fanatic

Received 26 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by 94LSon20
PROBLEM SOLVED.

After going under the hood to replace my tensioner pulley (you have to remove the alternator as well) I found out the grounding wire from the alternator to the frame was loose. Tightened it up & all of my problems are gone. No more a/c problems, rough idle, pulsating dash/high beam lights. Hope this helps anyone whose having similar problems.
wow, never guess a bad ground would cause all that issues!

Thanks for sharing!
Old 11-09-11, 09:52 AM
94LSon20
Driver

iowfnaqebnal;bfaibvga;bfvg;iape

On my was back to work form lunch the problem popped back up. I'm going to drive this car into a wall, this is BS.

Everything was fine last night. Played with the AC to see if the problem would show itself, drove it home last night, to work this morning, out to lunch and nothing. On my way back its started the wobbly idle and AC noise again. I am beginning to hate this car
Old 11-09-11, 10:24 AM
Lust4Lexus
Advanced

Hmmm, I know you tightened the cable, but maybe it's dirty, or has corrosion? Maybe you can try some Deoxit on the body and cable to try to give that connection a "tune up" Just a thought......
Old 11-09-11, 01:16 PM
Marklouis
Lexus Champion

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

/\ /\ /\

I second that.. the function of your altenator may have suffered some internal damage from the bad connection - you could always get it tested Im sure.
Old 11-10-11, 10:52 AM
94LSon20
Driver

New alternator (+ it was grounded to the engine, just not the frame). & I cleaned everything while I was down there.

This is random, but I was speaking with an engineer at my work yesterday about it and he said he can make problems show up in his car by the way he drives. So he suggested I drive differently instead of driving the way I have been. I guess my style was purposely trying to make the problem show itself. So on my way home from work and to work this morning I drove differently and it hasn't shown up. Kinda weird but it worked (also I've had the A/C off, set on "non-recycle" due to the nice weather down here in FL.)

I used to accelerate softly and the problem would show up, now i give it a little punch and all is well (for now...)
Old 11-10-11, 11:03 AM
Marklouis
Lexus Champion

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by 94LSon20
New alternator (+ it was grounded to the engine, just not the frame). & I cleaned everything while I was down there.

This is random, but I was speaking with an engineer at my work yesterday about it and he said he can make problems show up in his car by the way he drives. So he suggested I drive differently instead of driving the way I have been. I guess my style was purposely trying to make the problem show itself. So on my way home from work and to work this morning I drove differently and it hasn't shown up. Kinda weird but it worked (also I've had the A/C off, set on "non-recycle" due to the nice weather down here in FL.)

I used to accelerate softly and the problem would show up, now i give it a little punch and all is well (for now...)
that is a strange occurrance - I would have to check everything with a voltmeter under low and high load to trace it down. stranger things have happened to me in other cars though.