LS - 3rd Gen (2001-2006) Discussion topics related to the flagship Lexus LS430

How to restore brake release handle color

Search this Thread

Old 09-28-11, 04:06 PM
jayclapp
Lexus Champion

Received 106 Likes on 85 Posts
Default How to restore brake release handle color

This is a follow on to previous posts that inquired about how to restore the color of the emergency brake handle that has yellowed with age. My handle looked exactly like that shown in ://www.clublexus.com/forums/ls430/428448-parking-brake-release-color.html

From reading previous posts and doing some internet research I came to the following conclusions:

1. The yellowing is a natural process that occurs with ABS plastic material from exposure to UV rays over time. Sunlight is the most common source.

2. The yellowing could be reversed by soaking the item in a mixture of 3% hydrogen peroxide and Oxy Clean (1/2 tsp Oxy Clean per 16 oz hydrogen peroxide) and exposing to UV rays.

I am fairly OCD about my car and just couldn't stand looking at the yellow brake release handle, as it was the only flaw in the car and I was reminded every time I entered the car. I decided to try the chemical reversing procedure described above.

Last week, I had my Lexus dealer remove the handle for me (wouldn't dare try to soak it while installed using a plastic bag of liquid, too dangerous as a spill would bleach whatever it touched). The handle has "ABS" stamped on the backside, so I was feeling good. Following the directions and needing to minimize the time while the car was in the shop, I chose to set up the process in the garage with a UV light and let it soak overnight.

The next morning the part had started to reverse the yellowing. I then mixed a new batch of fluid and set the process up in the bright sunlight. I monitored it occasionally (this was a slight mistake) and removed it completely after 6 hours. The handle was now too light, approaching white. The info from the research never indicated that the reversal process would do anything other than restore it to the original color. That is incorrect.

I took the handle to the dealer and had it reinstalled, as that was all I could do at that time. I realize that I should have taken the handle out periodically and taken it to the dealer for a direct comparison with my car. See the following photo of restored condition.

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/mem...red-handle.jpg

While the nearly white brake handle was not as bad as the yellow color, it was not acceptable. I discovered that the adjacent coin tray located directly above the brake release handle was easily removed. I took it to Home Depot and had them match the color to a 7.5 oz jar of paint. See following photo:

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/mem...9745-paint.jpg

I then pulled the brake release handle to the full out position and clipped it in place, followed by blue tape to the surrounding areas, and painted the handle with a small, straight, flat artist brush. I am fairly pleased with the results. See the following photo:

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/mem...nished-job.jpg

The resulting color of the handle is not an exact match, it is a little too light. If I had it to do over I would have made them do an exact match of the color. As it is, it is acceptable and hardly noticeable. Clearly a huge improvement over the yellowed handle color.

I don't know how well the match will resist scratching or rubbing off. However, if it does, then I will remove the paint, start with a primer and then repaint with a proper matching paint color.

Conclusion for those who can't stand living with a yellow brake release handle. Forget about trying the chemical method of reversing the color. Too tedious and will be difficult to get an exact color match (which will tend to reface to yellow unless a frequent application of Aerospace 303 UV protectant is made. Just have an exact color paint mixed and paint it in the car.

You will lose the brake logo on the handle, but it's worth it.

P.S. This is my first attempt at posting with photos. Don't know if I did it correctly or not.

Last edited by jayclapp; 09-29-11 at 04:51 PM.
Old 09-28-11, 04:34 PM
GLIDESUL
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Jayclapp they look better then before thanks for the info. Does sewell sell these parts on there site ? Mines are yellow too.
Old 09-28-11, 05:27 PM
jayclapp
Lexus Champion

They are probably sold by Sewell. But I'm not sure that is the answer. A few years ago when I bought my car CPO, I complained that the handle did not match and asked that it be replaced. They told me that would not solve the problem, as all the handles were the same color as mine. I reluctantly accepted that.

Now I realize that what they said was probably true. If their spare parts were manufactured a few years ago, they may very will have yellowed just as those in the cars. My current dealer and service advisor is the same one that told me that.

When I asked him last week to remove the brake handle for me he told me it would require one hour of labor. However, he was so interested in what I was trying to do that he offered to let me keep the loaner Lexus until I would return my handle for installation. When I did return it, he didn't charge me anything for the handle removal/installation!

So I tend to believe him.
Old 09-29-11, 06:03 AM
DDLexus
Racer

Received 25 Likes on 20 Posts

The results look great! I'd like to see a larger picture of the results posted.
Old 09-29-11, 06:05 AM
Boomer01
Lead Lap

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Looks much better! I hate the handle turns yellow.

I wonder if you would have just left it light and the sun would have eventually darkened it. Either way it probably would have changed yellow again.
Old 09-29-11, 06:23 AM
jayclapp
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by Boomer01
Looks much better! I hate the handle turns yellow.

I wonder if you would have just left it light and the sun would have eventually darkened it. Either way it probably would have changed yellow again.
Leaving it alone and letting the sun change it again was not an option for me. I wasn't willing to wait for the possible year or more to change color. Since the restoration process took it to nearly white I wasn't sure that it would even darken back to the original color. I wasn't willing to wait a year or so and then find out that it it just turned yellow.
Old 09-29-11, 06:29 AM
denIS200
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Lexus parts are :

46209 CABLE SUB-ASSY, PARKING BRAKE RELEASE
46209‑50060‑A0 IVORY, TRIM04
46209‑50060‑A1 ECRU, TRIM03
46209‑50060‑B0 MD.CHARCOAL, TRIM1*
46209‑50060‑C0 BLACK, TRIM2*

Denis.
Old 09-29-11, 06:30 AM
jayclapp
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by DDLexus
The results look great! I'd like to see a larger picture of the results posted.
I need help in how to post photos. I tried to follow the directions from this forum. I first sized my photos for email quality (72 pdi) and 6 inches wide. Then I added them to a album as instructed. When adding to the post it asked for the URL of my album, which I put in. However this then resulted in my post as you see it, with small photos.

Could someone please explain how to properly add photos to a post?

Thanks
Old 09-29-11, 06:36 AM
denIS200
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by jayclapp
I need help in how to post photos. I tried to follow the directions from this forum. I first sized my photos for email quality (72 pdi) and 6 inches wide. Then I added them to a album as instructed. When adding to the post it asked for the URL of my album, which I put in. However this then resulted in my post as you see it, with small photos.

Could someone please explain how to properly add photos to a post?

Thanks
[IMG]IMAGE LINK[/IMG] like this :

Denis.
Old 09-29-11, 08:26 AM
jayclapp
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by denIS200
[IMG]IMAGE LINK[/IMG] like this :

Denis.
I still don't understand. When I click the "insert image" icon, I then get a box requesting, "Please enter the URL of your image". Where do I find the "URL" of the photo I want to insert?

I found the "URL" I inserted by going to my album and using the URL that was listed at the top of that page. The result was that it just inserted the URL and not the photo.

Where did I go wrong, and what do I do to make it work?
Old 09-29-11, 09:10 AM
Mr.Doback
Driver

jayclap - you have to use a photo hosting site such as flickr to upload your images. Once uploaded, you can get URL and paste between image links.

Great DIY, im considering turning it to white, but for $42 a new handle is possible as well.
Old 09-29-11, 12:07 PM
jayclapp
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by Mr.Doback
jayclap - you have to use a photo hosting site such as flickr to upload your images. Once uploaded, you can get URL and paste between image links.

Great DIY, im considering turning it to white, but for $42 a new handle is possible as well.
Removing the handle is a major project, according to my service advisor. They had to disasemble quite a bit of the dash. The pull lever on the back of the handle is molded in and a cable is then attached. The handle assembly which comes out of the car is about a foot long. I should have taken photos, but that was not my intent when I was doing this project.

Another possibility that might be considered is using a variation of the chemical mixture. Some have added another component that makes it into a gel, which can then be brushed on. With some care that procedure might be feasible for doing it in the car without removing the handle. Looking back on it, I think that might have been a better choice.

If you chose to lighten the handle, check the color match frequently and stop when it lightens to match the dash.
Old 09-29-11, 12:33 PM
Mr.Doback
Driver

Thanks for the heads up jayclap, taking apart is no problem, I have already ripped it apart to clean and install things. If I get some time I'll probably order and make a DIY on how to install.

Old 09-29-11, 08:50 PM
Lust4Lexus
Advanced

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

glad you got it to look better. This thread makes me glad i have a black interior.
Old 09-30-11, 05:22 PM
Palermo333
Driver School Candidate

I just had my Ecru leather re died and airbrushed and had him do the parking brake handle while he was at it came out great! 8-)