LS430 or M5: Which is better??

Search this Thread

Old 10-06-11, 10:52 PM
oxonian007
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by sdbmw
She is extremely boring in bed
I often find the LS430 to so comfortable that I literally don't even stress about being stuck in traffic. It's not like driving a Lincoln boat (which are horrible), but it feels very "civil" in almost all circumstances.

On the other hand, the Mark Levinson is NOT boring.
Old 10-06-11, 11:13 PM
oxonian007
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Let me address only the Mark Levinson system question. It is a NOT a bass-heavy, car-vibrating, THX-certified surround system that a kid would like. What it does is to deliver high-clarity automobile sound for folks who might listen to jazz, classical, choral, rock, R&B, or even electronica from time to time.

I auditioned the Hyundai Genesis with its vaunted Lexicon system. While it may be THX-certified and contain fancy active sound dispersion technology, I found its sound stage and clarity a little disappointing. The 2 best aspects of living with the LS430 Mark Levinson on a daily basis are: (1) It will not distort audibly at anything like a safe volume for your ears; and (2) it gives you an admirable level of clarity for a mobile system. Ultimately, where the Lexicon came across as flat and unexciting, the ML sounds rich and warm.

My uncle's best friend is the owner of Austin Hifi, which sells high end audio products the likes of which even many LS drivers will never afford. They have been audio junkies for decades. The mantra that I keep hearing is that heavy, artificial bass is the enemy. They want clarity, purity, accuracy, etc. with a preference for a fluid vocal presentation.

My own "test" of an automobile system is to play some serious Bach organ music on the car. Most HOME speakers lack the ability to clearly show off all the complex harmonic partials in the large, loud German organ registrations (recorded in large cathedrals with serious acoustics). They should not sound painful or biting and the bass and mid should be very clear. The big, loud chords should sound not crunchy, but replete with harmonics. Now try this in a car - and listen to most of them fail utterly.

In my LS430, the ML system capably dissects the big Bach fugues, showing adequate bass, relatively rich tone, and even an acceptable sound stage. In jazz discs, the system provides good separation between instruments while still presenting a pleasantly synthesized whole. Vocals sound pretty good overall. I'm SURE that it COULD be improved. Yes, it lacks iPod control and needs a separate satellite kit to add that particular functionality. However, on balance, it provides a great automotive audio experience.
Old 10-09-11, 08:28 PM
V8_Fan
Racer

Received 37 Likes on 28 Posts

Originally Posted by Swanson
Thanks for all the feedback guys. I appreciate all the information and this will help in my decision.

I believe the LS430 is a better quality car than the GS430. On a scale of 1 to 10 and the LS was a 10 in terms of quality and reliability, how would the GS 430 rank? How about if handling were the criteria?

How much more does a 2005 sell for versus a 2002 with the same options and mileage?

I agree that cars can sometimes be compared to women and the v10 M5 is definitely hot in the bedroom and nice to showoff at the mall. However, after the honeymoon (warranty) is over, the M5 and the hot blond might drive you crazy and drain your bank account at the same time.

I know the high school sweetheart is very reliable, but is she good in bed too?
I've driven a GS w/ 25K miles for 4 days...the dash rattled a lot. Check the GS forum and you'll see it's not uncommon. Also, the windshield angle of the GS is such that when driving into the sun, the dashboard hump above the driver's cluster reflects right onto the windshield...very annoying. The suspension is very well dampened and throttle/steering more responsive than on the LS. The closest vehicle that drives to the LS430 is the ES350. The GS and IS are more alike in steering feel (doesn't have the slack/forgiveness that the LS has. So if, say, you're trying to put on your sunglasses while driving, the LS will stay straight, but the GS will start to veer (very sensitive steering). The LS is a much better built vehicle than the GS.
Old 10-26-11, 08:30 PM
Swanson
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

A few more questions guys.

1. Are you guys replacing suspension bushings and other components when the mileage starts getting up there?

2. How about the standard shocks? How long are they generally good for if there is no leaking?

3. Can most Toyota dealers perform repair work on these cars?

4. What are the typical repairs that generally require a professional tech versus a DIY?

Thanks
Old 10-27-11, 12:23 AM
warminwisc
Lexus Champion

Received 31 Likes on 28 Posts

1 not that often, the car is so overengineered
2 150 k on mine still fine, mostly hwy miles
3 Most Toyota dealers have Lexus certified techs, at least mine does.
4 Most of us gaurd our cars and go to dealers, Toyota dealers can be cheaper. I need my plugs done just worry with the minimal maintenance needed I do not need things done unperfectly and it is nice to have upper management leverage if things go south. Not alot goes wrong people shop for deals on suspension, brakes and not real involved work. T belt seems easy as well as plugs but do not need the car damaged from inexperienced techs. I respect it that much and plan on driving it a while.