LS - 3rd Gen (2001-2006) Discussion topics related to the flagship Lexus LS430

some new some old; pics for a calendar

Search this Thread

Old 12-12-11, 07:33 AM
JLAWS
Racer

Received 214 Likes on 163 Posts

You went from a refined luxury look to a stealth racer look. Car enthusiast can appreciate black rims but most folks don't get it. As long as you are happy.

I think after a while you will be in the same boat and asking yourself the same question whether you should keep the LS430 or upgrade. The LS430 did come out 11 years ago! so it is definately showing it's age compared to what's newer out there. I really wanted to keep my 01 LS430 but I was in a similar situation. I still got alot of compliment on it and it drove like new. I decided NOT to spend any more money upgrading to convince myself to keep the car so I posted feeler sales to see If I could draw some interest. I ignored several general emails and got one serious buyer and ended up selling the car over the weekend at my asking price. Maybe you should try the same and see if you can actually let it go.

Last edited by JLAWS; 12-12-11 at 07:37 AM. Reason: spelling
Old 12-12-11, 07:40 AM
Brian@Vossen
Former Sponsor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Very nice LS 430!
Old 12-12-11, 07:44 AM
sojah
Lead Lap

ohh i'm sure they would look real good on the GS yeah the vr01's have always been my #1 fav of vip modulars witht the vr08's a close second for me.

yeah you are spot on with the opposite ends of the spectrum. i guess i really don't know what style i'm looking to achieve but i do know that continuously switching up wheels is making me stay with the LS430 a little longer

i'm doing the stiffer rear sway bar and 90k maintenance this week sometime as well so i will have less body roll and a tighter overall turning i hope.
Old 12-12-11, 07:49 AM
sojah
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by JLAWS
You went from a refined luxury look to a stealth racer look. Car enthusiast can appreciate black rims but most folks don't get it. As long as you are happy.

I think after a while you will be in the same boat and asking yourself the same question whether you should keep the LS430 or upgrade. The LS430 did come out 11 years ago! so it is definately showing it's age compared to what's newer out there. I really wanted to keep my 01 LS430 but I was in a similar situation. I still got alot of compliment on it and it drove like new. I decided NOT to spend any more money upgrading to convince myself to keep the car so I posted feeler sales to see If I could draw some interest. I ignored several general emails and got one serious buyer and ended up selling the car over the weekend at my asking price. Maybe you should try the same and see if you can actually let it go.
hahah, congrats and honestly i was thinking about this ^ ^ ^ all weekend. so i told my wife that i was gonna sell one set of wheels and keep my fav's right? well she said she hates the black ones and suggested i just put the stocks back on since it is almost mid december and sell both sets of wheels then she said take that 5k and either buy a brand new set that is to my exact dimensions or just take that 5k and put it towards something else well i sort of asked leading questions to get the last statement out of her (the underlined bit).

i like the new look on my LS430 but it is getting time to think about a newer car. i just spent $300 on the stiffer sport rear sway bar and all the 90k parts but it will be another $700 to have them all installed by an off duty lex tech or an independent toyo/lex certified mech.

maybe i should just put out some feelers like you said and see what pops up¿
Old 12-12-11, 08:37 AM
JLAWS
Racer

"maybe i should just put out some feelers like you said and see what pops up¿ "

It won't hurt. Since it's winter time I'd throw the stock (18's?) back on and take pic with those wheels on. You have the most desired color imo and don't be surprised if it moves fast! I backed out of selling mine a few months ago since the buyer needed a day or 2 to borrow a few 1000 more from family members. I told them via text the car was no longer available and didn't return their call
But then the urge him me again 3 months later and this time I agreed to let it go.

Now I have 1/2 the money to buy this 420+ hp awd monster. We'll see what happens .
This would be my "weekend vehicle" just like the Ls430
Attached Thumbnails some new some old; pics for a calendar-beast-1.jpg   some new some old; pics for a calendar-beast3.jpg   some new some old; pics for a calendar-beast-4.jpg  
Old 12-12-11, 09:08 AM
ryan78
Instructor

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

^^^great suv, but you will hate the gas mileage. a friend of mine had one, and though he could afford the payments, insurance, and everything else, he had to sell because of the gas. he only had to drive 15 miles to work (with 2 or 3 stoplights), and was still filling it up 2 times a week. if he hit 14mpg, he was lucky....
sweet suv though; as you know, they are a blast to drive! at least as a weekend warrior, you may find the gas does not matter. congrats on the new purchase!
Old 12-12-11, 09:29 AM
sojah
Lead Lap

yeah, nice pickup... i wouldn't put it in the same comparision as the 430 but still a beast. a guy who works in the building next to me had one when they first came out and we would always leave work at the same time. i used to try to race him when i had my slightly modded GS400 but he consistently made me look bad so i stopped even trying after a while and would just turn up my radio when he pulled up next to me with a **** eatting grin on his face...

one day i had the luxury of sitting shotgun in my coworkers 615hp (dynoed on pump gas at 615) evo that looks stock at the light outside of our office and guess who pulled up next to us...? needless to say it was not a challenge at all for the evo to walk past the jeep that was ***** out and i got the chance to return the silly grin
Old 12-12-11, 09:30 AM
F.Brown
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by ryan78
whatever works for the look you are trying to achieve. we've had the tuck/no tuck discussion before.
i like both sets, though they are at completely opposite ends of the spectrum as far as looks are concerned - for me anyway. the more i see them the more i like the VIP's, though i would like to see them in motion. those are my second favorite design for VIP modular (behind the VR08 - go figure); i really can't wait to see them in person. they will look really good on the GS though...just saying
If those are the wheels I think they are I've seen them in person and they're dope. I wanted them for my ride. Hey Ryan78...here's a rolling shot of those VIPs: http://vimeo.com/10730659
Old 12-12-11, 09:50 AM
sojah
Lead Lap

yup, same wheels and i do mean same ^ ^ ^ {they are davids; ay-Nako or something like that}
Old 12-12-11, 11:47 AM
RA40
Super Moderator

Received 470 Likes on 362 Posts

Originally Posted by waijai
Out of all the pictures this is the best one IMO

I pick this as well.
I like the wheel variety you have.

Lately I've seen enough crinkled front fenders caused by those wanting more poke to their wheel fitments. Kinda to see an otherwise wells set-up ride and to either let the pressure out of the air system with wheels turned or they just ride so low the road helps do some body work.
Old 12-12-11, 11:59 AM
ryan78
Instructor

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by F.Brown
If those are the wheels I think they are I've seen them in person and they're dope. I wanted them for my ride. Hey Ryan78...here's a rolling shot of those VIPs: http://vimeo.com/10730659
thanks man
Old 12-14-11, 01:05 PM
sojah
Lead Lap

new pics,, so the car is filthy but that is cool cuz the wheels are a little dirty too at least everything matches...

this was the car at stock height as a comparison... same parking spot, same curb height, 3 years earlier... is it just me or does it look like a 4x4 crossover subaru outback type vehicle at stock height

this was at the lowest setting (L) on the datasystems controller on stock wheels, same lot 2.5 years ago. i never measured but i would venture to say that my dd ride height today is the same if not slightly lower than the L setting on the controller

BTW getting the thicker than stock (sport) rear sway bar installed on in 2 days.

here is proof that i'm not using my cell to take these pics, rather a much nicer camera

Last edited by sojah; 12-14-11 at 01:52 PM.
Old 12-14-11, 01:45 PM
sojah
Lead Lap

Old 12-14-11, 02:26 PM
Marklouis
Lexus Champion

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

wow that stock hieght looks 1 1/2" higher than mine on standard shocks. it does look like a 4x4 Suby! lol
Old 12-14-11, 02:27 PM
JLAWS
Racer

Wow taking the nice big "shoes" off really make the car look civilian. Maybe all I needed was to get nice wheels to convince me to keep my old LS.

Quick Reply: some new some old; pics for a calendar